U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 12:56 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,115,591 times

Advertisements

Naperville is nicer than Orland Park, which is just soulless and one step from being deserted prairie. People only settled there because the land was cheap at one time. That said, the traffic isn't as bad as in Naperville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 08:37 PM

76 posts, read 431,484 times
Well, if you like me then you like the people of Chicago, I was born and raised in Chicagoland. Air quality is good enough. I have asthma and never had a problem.
Here is the list of some of the good subarbs:
Des Plaines
Mount Prospect
Oak Lawn
Oak Park
Alsip
Arlington Heights
Park Ridge
Niles
Skokie
Palatine
Schaumburg
Rolling Meadows
Burr Ridge
Lombard
Glen Ellyn
Wilmette
Highland Park
Evanston (Has some bad areas too)

Old 07-06-2007, 09:27 PM

5 posts, read 33,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
many of the suburbs of chicago are quite beautiful, but sadly, the hospitality in illinois is not good. basically, only the top notch popular/rich seem to be accepted into the community in illinois. chicago has a lot of smog, ozone, and pollution. very sadly, from my point of view it is very unlikely that you will fall in love with illinois, unless you are the type of person who likes to be disconnected from the community. schools in illinois, by the way, are very bad.
Chicago rocks! I was born and raised there close to the lakefront with 35+ years of an enriching life. Wasn't wealthy neither poor, but took the best from the years I had there as can be said of all places I have lived.

Everywhere I have lived outside of Chicago (overseas, eastcoast...etc.) I have always been told that the people from the Midwest and Chicago are the friendliest...and I have to agree with that given my experiences. In the city, even a homeless has the heart to greet you (ha)... he may ask for a little spare change...but that alone never hurt anyone.

As for the things to do in Chicago...well, the sky is the limit...that's a no brainer and anyone (even a taxi driver) would be honored to give you the low-down on all the fun spots to hit for both singles and married couples with children. I couldn't say enough about Chicago...from the Universities to the cuisine, the cultural diversity, ethnic neighborhoods, and of course "opportunity"...it's all there from the northend to right down to the loop (downtown Chicago)...there is ALWAYS something fun to do. From the architectural landmarks to museums, Navy Pier and all the fun fests throughout the summer and Venetian night by the water and closing out the summer w/the Air/Water show ... you really can't go wrong in this city ... good food...good people from all walks of life ... and an awesome Mayor ... how could anyone go wrong?

As for the suburbs...I'd have to agree and say go North (Glendale area) or far west (like really far west out towards Weaton or Naperville area...you can't go wrong in either direction...but just don't go south...)

Old 07-07-2007, 07:48 PM

In general, the North, Northwest and West subarbs are the best. Here are places to look at.
Park Ridge
Mount Prospect
Des Plaines
Niles
Wood Dale
Rolling Meadows
Highland Park
Evanston
Elmhurst
Oak Lawn >
Tinley Park >
Oak Forset >
Glenview
Lombard
Oak Park
Glen Ellyn
Glencoe
Winetka

>= South/ Southwest subarb is that is good and worth a look at

Good Luck!

Old 07-07-2007, 07:50 PM

Opps, forget I replied to this post already! Sorry about that!

Old 07-07-2007, 08:15 PM

677 posts, read 3,795,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsmith319 View Post
Opps, forget I replied to this post already! Sorry about that!
Why is your list different the second time?

Old 07-07-2007, 08:33 PM

4,717 posts, read 13,498,063 times
I think you left out alot of nice burbs bob

Old 07-07-2007, 08:40 PM

9,605 posts, read 14,142,536 times
I can't believe nobody has mentioned La Grange and Western Springs. These are two of the nicest suburbs of Chicago. They are both on the Metra. Western Springs has one of the best restaurants in the whole Chicago area and La Grange was rated by the Chicago Tribune as having the best downtown of all the Chicago suburbs. Also, the schools are outstanding and a little more diverse than Hinsdale. I've read some comments on this thread stating "This town is getting better because Mexicans/Blacks are leaving". Statements like that are probably part of what makes Californians not like the Chicago area.
I attended Naperville North High School and can tell you it is good for education but terrible for diversity. Naperville in general is about as white-bread as you can get. And they have a sign for every damned little accomplishment. "Naperville, home of the 2004 Safety Rodeo champions". You go, Naperville!

Old 07-07-2007, 09:37 PM

3,971 posts, read 11,297,588 times
The far NW seem to be great areas...Crystal Lake, Woodstock, McHenry I believe will be the next big growth areas. (Just look at Algonquin along Randall for a picture of the future).

Still a somewhat small-town vibe, but with the recognition that they are indeed part of Chicagoland, and in 20 years will be much different places IMHO. Only problem is, McHenry Country is one of the largest counties in the U.S. without ANY freeways! This could create some major transportation problems in the future.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:23 AM

4,717 posts, read 13,498,063 times
[quote=pw72]The far NW seem to be great areas...Crystal Lake, Woodstock, McHenry I believe will be the next big growth areas. (Just look at Algonquin along Randall for a picture of the future).[quote] Next big growth??They are already grown huge and expansive.That area of Randall rd is a mess of ugly strip malls and cookie cutter tree- less subdivisions.It was beautiful country at one time.Will any developer ever take into consideration to have larger lots,or save acerage and trees for the future?.Or is our future just jiffy lubes and McDonalds in between the boring look a like "little boxes made of ticky tacky."..sad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or