U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2007, 01:11 PM

28 posts, read 85,711 times

Advertisements

I would recommend Lemont. We moved here 5 years ago with two high school age children. The schools in Lemont are great. Both of my children are now in college doing well and were well prepared for college after high school. They were welcomed by the other students, and seemed to have friends right away. The school does an excellent job of making newcomers feel welcome and that they are adjusting well. Lemont offers that small town atmosphere that is missing in most suburbs. It offers a quick commute via METRA to downtown and good interestate access. The housing stock in Lemont is varied with a good mix of older and new homes that are very affordable. Check out Lemont at http://www.lemont.il.us/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 05:38 PM

22 posts, read 134,136 times
I like La Grange- not too far from Chicago downtown, plus there is a train for those who work in downtown. Excellent schools, lots of restaurants and shops. Other western suburb that I like is Naperville, with a riverwalk.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:37 PM

9,605 posts, read 14,272,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamona View Post
I like La Grange- not too far from Chicago downtown, plus there is a train for those who work in downtown. Excellent schools, lots of restaurants and shops. Other western suburb that I like is Naperville, with a riverwalk.
Listen to this person.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:26 AM
aeh

318 posts, read 1,459,489 times
Talking Chicago has so many great suburbs

Out of everywhere we have lived, my husband and I always remark how Chicagoland really has so many terrific suburbs. More than we have seen surrounding any other city. We are originally from Texas (me) and California (him) and have lived on the East Coast, Chicagoland, Dallas, out of the country but had many opportunities to live in other areas to the point where we were at the heavy research stage (Maine, Oregon, Michigan, Missouri, Georgia, California and the list goes on and on) and still remain impressed with the high quality of suburbs of Chicago as far as how many great ones there are to choose from. The West suburbs are terrific, with the exception of Aurora, Elgin and maybe a couple others, and the North suburbs are great to (even more chi-chi). We looked seriously at Naperville but ultimately decided on St Charles. That being said, it was a hard decision because there were so many terrific places...husband's job location and price point narrowed it down a bit. We have since moved away but have considered moving back a few times--either to the West or North suburbs. The only thing that we didn't love about Chicagoland was the cold!

Old 02-10-2008, 05:14 PM

61 posts, read 374,836 times
Quote:

Elmhurst's high school didn't win gold, silver, or bronze, so take that into consideration if college prep is a criteria for your family.

Here's the link. You can sort by county:
Best High Schools Search - US News and World Report
Great link! Thanks for that. My husband just accepted a job in Downers Grove and we'll be relocating in the next 90 days or so and this info is very helpful.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:56 PM

62,353 posts, read 27,748,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaMommy View Post
Great link! Thanks for that. My husband just accepted a job in Downers Grove and we'll be relocating in the next 90 days or so and this info is very helpful.
You're welcome!

That information is very useful as a reality check tool. Some towns' residents and school district employees claim that their schools are 'excellent' and 'one of the best' when they're not because - obviously - people tend to have pride in their communities and work places. So, it helps to have an objective comparative analysis to place those opinions in a more realistic perspective.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:03 AM

15 posts, read 59,273 times
Winnetka boasts the "best" high school in the state (New Trier)...however, IMO I like Lake Forest if I had to choose a new town in which to relocate; great schools and bit of a New England feel to the community.

All this said, I am not staying in IL and am moving back to the East Coast that I love so much. The MidWest is a bit too flat, too out-of-the-way, and simply not right for me. Good luck with your move.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:06 AM

15 posts, read 59,273 times
OK...I spoke too soon (after reviewing US News and World Report). Looks like New Trier isn't #1 but it is way up there. I still would look at Lake Forest as a top contender as far as a nice city and good schools.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:57 PM

439 posts, read 1,099,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
Naperville is nicer than Orland Park, which is just soulless and one step from being deserted prairie. People only settled there because the land was cheap at one time. That said, the traffic isn't as bad as in Naperville.

I went to Sandburg and lived in Orland Park my whole life and you fit the typical Northern Burb person. Their nose's so high in the air they were lucky to see where they were going. I'd live in Orland, Tinley, and it pains me to say this as a Sandburg gard but Mokena of Frankfort as well (BOOO Lincoln Way)

Old 02-12-2008, 07:58 PM

531 posts, read 1,092,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonredsock5 View Post
I went to Sandburg and lived in Orland Park my whole life and you fit the typical Northern Burb person. Their nose's so high in the air they were lucky to see where they were going. I'd live in Orland, Tinley, and it pains me to say this as a Sandburg gard but Mokena of Frankfort as well (BOOO Lincoln Way)
I'm glad I'm from the Western suburbs and am not involved in the North/South thing.

North siders think south siders are trashy and South siders think people from the North are pretentious and shallow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or