Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 11:43 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickory patrick View Post
It's more like 30%, I don't want to Absorb "IT' ....we , the middle class workers are nickel n dimed at every turn... my taxes would go up almost $900 dollars=14% that is unexceptable..

this comes close to passing, Heads need to roll....as the vote gets closer burn up the net n phone lines, and say NO'' that's it the middle class well has rune dry
Before you get out your axe, consider that there's such a funding disparity among schools in Illinois, it's sickening. Study after study has shown that low income kids need a lot more resources than higher income students. Yet, we dole it out the opposite here.

That chart you posted is nice but it doesn't indicate how much these districts spend on each student for instruction. That would be an enlightening little column to put things into perspective. Palatine D15 spends $7,350 per pupil on instruction. Oak Park D97 spends $7,800. Wheeling D21 spends nearly $9,000. Elmwood Park D401 spends about $7,000.

By contrast, Berwyn D98 spends about $5,800 per on a 90% low income student body. Cicero D99 is almost all low income and only spends $5,200 on each pupil for instruction. Harvey D152 doesn't even spend $5,000 per. Posen-Robbins D143 spends a whopping $4,600. If this keeps up the only thing that's going to run dry is our pool of quality workers and our social welfare system!

Assuming your district would raise your taxes by $900 to cover its loss in state subsidies (and that's only an assumption because they could try to just get by just like the poorer districts have been doing), that's very unfortunate and I feel for you. I really do. Tax increases are bad, especially in these times. However, Berwyn D100, an 80% low income district, attempted to raise taxes on its residents last spring by over $1,200 per house (!!) because they are woefully underfunded, facing increasing enrollment, and their schools are practically falling down. And that's just one school district. There's also a God awful high school that's going to have to be addressed sooner or later, not to mention the city's pension underfunding and bonds. And the people who live in that district are in a much worse position than you are to afford it, I can assure you.

At some point this is going to need to be addressed. I'm not sure this is the answer but it's at least recognizing the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Our taxes are already $7500 If they go up any more I am going to have to sell and commute from Indiana.
Any increase in the tax levy for the schools above the PTELL amount has to be by referendum, so your taxes won't automatically go up here. As I said, we're talking about a loss in state subsidies, which some will argue the more wealthy districts shouldn't be getting with our current property-tax based educational funding system. It's up to the school district to go to the voters and ask them to make up the difference. And even if they do you can vote no. Just want to clear that up!

Old 09-11-2014, 12:29 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Any increase in the tax levy for the schools above the PTELL amount has to be by referendum, so your taxes won't automatically go up here. As I said, we're talking about a loss in state subsidies, which some will argue the more wealthy districts shouldn't be getting with our current property-tax based educational funding system.
Did you see where my "wealthier" district only gets 6% of it's revenue from the State? The article in the original post is talking about the effects on school districts in Worth and Hickory Hills... These are hardly "wealthier" school districts. CPS is better-funded, yet chooses to divert money to administration and research instead of "instruction".

The bill needs to be tinkered with so smaller, middle class (or even working class) districts don't lose huge chunks of their revenue. The Hinsdales and Glen Ellyns of the world will be fine, but maybe not the Worths and Elmwood Parks.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Did you see where my "wealthier" district only gets 6% of it's revenue from the State? The article in the original post is talking about the effects on school districts in Worth and Hickory Hills... These are hardly "wealthier" school districts. CPS is better-funded, yet chooses to divert money to administration and research instead of "instruction".

The bill needs to be tinkered with so smaller, middle class (or even working class) districts don't lose huge chunks of their revenue. The Hinsdales and Glen Ellyns of the world will be fine, but maybe not the Worths and Elmwood Parks.

I'm not sure this is the answer but it's at least recognizing the problem.

One of the things I was thinking of. Proviso is on the loser list too, and it only spends $6,300/pupil. So we'll have to look closer at the mechanics of this. I still think the concept is right. This is reconfiguring a subsidy, not taking from the wealthy districts. They can tax to make up for it if they want, or just get by on less like many other government taxing bodies are doing in these times. I've often said that you could put New Trier's kids in Morton West and scores would skyrocket without changing any other thing, so they might not even need to raise taxes. On that note we also need to recognize that simply throwing money at the problem isn't going to get it done. The structure of how disadvantaged kids are educated has to change too.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:18 PM

415 posts, read 764,596 times
Well I should have said only 30% of school funding comes from State over all, and around 67 % from our property Taxes... all I do know is if this SB16 passes the way it stands today , my School district would loose a little over 4 million and one of 2 things would have to happen, either fire 84 people from our district or raise our taxes 14% which would cost me around another $900 , and I pay enough now...

from the Southland News link :The state government supplies less than 30 percent of the money spent on public schools in Illinois. The vast majority, about 67 percent, comes from the property tax.

The result is that Illinois has the highest property tax burden in the nation.(end)

Instead of the state Increasing funds to poorer Districts by dipping into there slush funds n pork barrel they want to keep it where it's at (30%) and just take most of it-95% and shift it to the Hood..
Basically saying screw the Burbs, and like I said before' where does the state magically get all this awesome money ?? making n selling troll dolls ? I doubt it'' there to busy with there own Interest to do work...

I keep getting flash backs of a book I just finished reading called 'Spreading the wealth, that goes into plans to rob the Burbs to fund the inner city , Huh ...also a lot of Agenda 21 in the air....

Old 09-11-2014, 03:47 PM

415 posts, read 764,596 times
and If you have a child in the Burbs with special needs or special ed , SB16 will drop the Hammer on special ed in some Districts that have a lot of kids that Really need special ed...

The Senate passes SB 16 and Special Education funding is put at risk. | Fred Klonsky

and more bad news coming down the pike for public schools....
The Majority Report 02/28/14 - Bad news for public schools..

Kick the can..
at least we have the Illinois lottery ...

Last edited by Hickory patrick; 09-11-2014 at 04:16 PM..

Old 09-11-2014, 08:58 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickory patrick View Post
...also a lot of Agenda 21 in the air....

Old 09-12-2014, 07:32 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Rents will go up, because the cost will be passed onto renters.

And the people who are poor will get the most benefit, and have the most to lose, more entitlements to them. less money for people who work and pay taxes. and I am assuming more illegals will be entering school this year and so forth, and they will also benefit. again the tax payer foots the bills. Democrats love to redistribute the alleged wealth. but whomever has that nice house, has EARNED it by working for it.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:38 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Currently most of our wealth in Illinois is being "redistributed" to public employees via salaries and pensions, not the poor. Be angry about that if you want to be angry about anything.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:01 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Currently most of our wealth in Illinois is being "redistributed" to public employees via salaries and pensions, not the poor. Be angry about that if you want to be angry about anything.
I am mad about that too!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs