Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2014, 04:41 PM

2 posts, read 3,561 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family and I are moving to Glenwood, IL area, but was wondering about the schools. I do see that the high school is not the greatest. It seems as though some parts of Glenwood, the students go to Homewood-Flossmoor and the other part goes to Bloom Township H.S. What are your thoughts of the Bloom High School? The home and area where we are going looks to be a really nice area but I am not sure about the school system. Coming from the north side of Chicago, to be closer to my University and hubby's employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 04:51 PM

2,156 posts, read 5,487,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommie4kids View Post
Hello,

My family and I are moving to Glenwood, IL area, but was wondering about the schools. I do see that the high school is not the greatest. It seems as though some parts of Glenwood, the students go to Homewood-Flossmoor and the other part goes to Bloom Township H.S. What are your thoughts of the Bloom High School? The home and area where we are going looks to be a really nice area but I am not sure about the school system. Coming from the north side of Chicago, to be closer to my University and hubby's employment.
You should have posted this in the Chicago Suburbs forum. However, I am familiar with Glenwood as it is near the IN/IL border. The schools overall are not very good with the exception of the area served by Homewood-Flossmoor (H-F). However, as far as actual areas of Glenwood, I would stick to the areas closest to Homewood OR the area closest to downtown Glenwood and near Thornton. I wouldn't say that any part of Glenwood is unsafe but the neighborhoods along 394 are not the nicest...Not run down, but not that appealing. What is your budget?

Old 09-17-2014, 06:15 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,473,186 times
Ohhh, the memories...

Glenwood "used" be a really nice little town, but that's mostly changed. Brookwood/Longwood Elementary and Brookwood Junior High School were all highly rated when I attended back in the 70's, but that appears to have changed. Homewood-Flossmoor (HF) is definitely a better High School than Bloom, but a motivated student can still do well in a poorly rated school. I went to Bloom so I'm living proof, lol.

Glenwood is mainly broken up into four main areas known as "Brookwood Point", "The Forest", "Old Glenwood" and "The Manor". Unless things have changed, all areas of Glenwood go to Bloom, with the exception of "The Manor", which goes to HF.

On a positive note, one of my all-time favorite pizza places is in Glenwood. Do yourself a favor and grab a stuffed pie or some broasted chicken from Arrenello's the next time you're in town. I remember walking door to door delivering flyers for Arrenello's when he first opened back in the 70's.

Last edited by flamadiddle; 09-17-2014 at 06:31 PM..

Old 09-18-2014, 06:41 AM

277 posts, read 442,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
On a positive note, one of my all-time favorite pizza places is in Glenwood. Do yourself a favor and grab a stuffed pie or some broasted chicken from Arrenello's the next time you're in town. I remember walking door to door delivering flyers for Arrenello's when he first opened back in the 70's.
I actually prefer Sanfratello's to Arrenello's to this day Both are pretty amazing though.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:08 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,473,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iidreamtheaterii View Post
I actually prefer Sanfratello's to Arrenello's to this day Both are pretty amazing though.
Sanfratello's sadly closed. Not sure of the circumstances, but yeah, great food while it lasted. The original Aurelio's in Homewood is pretty good too.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Sanfratello's sadly closed. Not sure of the circumstances, but yeah, great food while it lasted. The original Aurelio's in Homewood is pretty good too.
I thought they had closed for renovations? They originally were going to close because they owed taxes I believe, but I thought that got settled and they were able to make improvements and work out a new tax deal with Glenwood to keep them running. I could be wrong with that though.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:25 PM

157 posts, read 402,937 times
The sign out front now says the building is for sale so they are definitely closed for good. The Aurelio's in Homewood is now the best pizza by far. I don't know how anyone could eat an Arrenello's pizza. I think that it's the only pizza I've had that was so bad I couldn't even finish one slice. They must put a bag of sugar in the sauce. I like a mildly sweet pizza sauce but at Arrenello's it's so sweet it's nearly inedible.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knighthood82 View Post
The sign out front now says the building is for sale so they are definitely closed for good. The Aurelio's in Homewood is now the best pizza by far. I don't know how anyone could eat an Arrenello's pizza. I think that it's the only pizza I've had that was so bad I couldn't even finish one slice. They must put a bag of sugar in the sauce. I like a mildly sweet pizza sauce but at Arrenello's it's so sweet it's nearly inedible.
Sweet sauces aren't for everyone...

And yes, Aurelio's IS the best... bar none.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:28 AM

2 posts, read 3,561 times
Well, thank you all for replying. However, I was able to find something much more better in Evanston, Illinois which is where I preferred to be. My babies will be going to ETHS...so that is very good!!!!! After looking into Glenwood, Illinois a bit more, it just seemed not to be the place for me and my family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
View detailed profiles of: