U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-27-2007, 05:26 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,433,706 times

Advertisements

Note: I'm not sure if this thread should be here or in renting, but it makes sense here because I want response from residents of the suburbs, not the landlords policies.

Anyone have any other advice on how to find a good apartment complex or rental that allows cats and dogs? Dogs actually larger than 25 lbs? I tried to do a search on this subject, but couldn't find anything. I have done the rent.com and apartments.com, but a lot of times it is a very limited policy and I"m running into only apartments. I know in Chi-suburbs many people rent out basements, attics etc. How do you find residents with those kinds of rentals?

do you find that the more expensive places allow larger animals? Are they always dumps with large dogs policy? Know any specific places that are good? I remember one place that allowed big dog in Wheaton, but I can't remember the name of it. It was right next to COD.

I really just was curious for feedback. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 06:52 PM

356 posts, read 61,874 times
ever heard of Craigslist? just see if they mark bow-wow or meow at teh bottom of the the rental ad

Old 12-28-2007, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy City John View Post
ever heard of Craigslist? just see if they mark bow-wow or meow at teh bottom of the the rental ad
Are you serious? Is that some sort of code? Hm, I will check it out. I know Craigslist well, but Ididn't know that one.

Old 12-28-2007, 05:03 PM

2,481 posts, read 8,831,048 times
Yes, on craiglist, they will say "bow wow" if they are dog friendly. I have a 50 pound dog and 4 cats (yeah, I know!) and could find decent apartments always. Even landlords that didn't say that they were pet friendly will sometimes make exceptions with deposits. It doesn't hurt to ask.
apartment and rent.com aren't the best places to find apartments. You'll do much better with craiglist.

Old 12-28-2007, 05:07 PM

jessie, you are right, I just checked it today and found really lovely places that are available I would have never found on rent.com. Thanks for the advice!

How did you get a landlord to approve 5 pets??? that's amazing!

Old 12-28-2007, 10:41 PM

2,481 posts, read 8,831,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
jessie, you are right, I just checked it today and found really lovely places that are available I would have never found on rent.com. Thanks for the advice!

How did you get a landlord to approve 5 pets??? that's amazing!
I know! I just gave good references, a good deposit, and found a landlord that was laid back. I'm not sure what burb you are looking in, but I would also check any local newspapers (including free ones).

Old 12-30-2007, 05:48 PM

137 posts, read 20,613 times
You should try Evanston. Evanston is pretty pet friendly. Mainly the condominiums and townhouse subdivisions are the places that allow pets. You should look into renting a house there are plenty to rent here in Evanston, Skokie, Wilmette, Winnetka, and Northfield. I do not know what suburbs you are looking in but Evanston is a great community.

This community allows dogs under 40lbs or two cats. All animals must be spay and neuter. www.reserveatevanston.com. The building is in a great location. Just a little ways out of Downtown Evanston, near city hall, two grocery stores, Noyes Street, parks, and just a couple miles from the 4th and Linden Shopping district in Wilmette.

Here is my basic description of Evanston (There might be some things that do not matter to you):

I have been living in Evanston since November. I really like the area. It acts like a bridge between Chicago and the suburbs to the North. It is what I would call 'urburban'.

Evanston's town center is very nice and active. There are many high-rise condominium's and five high-rise office buildings. Evanston's town center has many shops. They are nice mid-range shops like, Pier1 Imports, Levi's Store, and Ann Taylor Loft. There are still some locally owned businesses but many have moved away. There are two nice mom & pop shopping areas. Central Street is very high end and is almost all locally owned businesses and Main-Chicago which is middle range locally owned businesses.

If Characture is high on your list, you will love Evanston. Evanston has many beautiful homes, streets, trees, parks, beaches, and buildings. Evanston had a few brick paved streets in the northeastern section. Evanston's streetlights are very interesting and were designed by Tallmadge & Watson. Evanston has a nice town center, which we call Downtown Evanston. There are some nice restaurants, cafes, and shops. Downtown Evanston has quite a few high-rise condominium buildings. New residents and I love the high-rises because they provide a nice contrast between the typical street car suburban Evanston neighborhoods. Many past residents hate them because they do bring some traffic into the community.

There are many cultural opportunities in Evanston. Evanston is home to Northwestern University which has extensive programs for local adults and children. Northwestern has a beautiful lakefront campus that is open to the public. There are lakefront playing fields and bike paths. Evanston Township High School also have some nice programs. I have an older neighbor who visits the Levy Senior Center every week.

Evanston taxes are extraordinary. My taxes are quite high. My home was close to $500,000. I have a renovated 4 bedroom 2.5 bath in Southern Evanston on Asbury. It is a very nice historic neighborhood. We are close to an Elementary and Middle School.

Many people say Evanston has a lor of racial diversity. I really disagree. Evanston's Southeastern, Eastern, Northeastern, and Northwest sections are close to being a White and Asian. Evanston's Western, and Southwestern areas are mostly Black and Hispanic. I live in a neighborhood that is mostly white and between Eastern and Western Evanston. Evanston does seem to have some racial tension in the school system. There is also a large gap in incomes here. The White and Asian areas tend to be of the Upper Middle and Upper Class. While the Black and Hispanic are of the Middle to Lower Classes.

Evanston is a large suburb so the town as a whole rarely gets to gather. Evanston, like Chicago is a community of neighborhoods. The neighborhoods vary greatly in demographics, incomes, and style. Evanston's neighborhoods are very tight knit. In fact the wealthier neighborhoods tend to be less tight knit.

Evanston has been a Tree City USA for close to 30 years. We have an extensive tree canopy as with most of the Northern Suburbs. Evanston has an extensive Forestry Department that constults you on tree care and maintains trees on parkways, treelawns, and in parks.

There are 4 major parking garages in the Downtown area. There are also several smaller public garages and parking lots in some of the newer buildings and in the alleys behind shops. Many of the Vintage Condominium and Apartment buildings do not offer off-street parking. Sometimes you can purchase parking spaces for $15,000 to $25,000. The newer condominiums and apartments (built after 1960) have garage or parking spaces usually included for free.

I right now have to commute to Schaumburg from Evanston, which takes me about 60 minutes. Evanston is within 40 minutes of the rest of the Northern Suburbs near the lake. Evanston is about 45 minutes from Downtown Chicago by car and 25 to 35 minutes by train.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenty View Post
You should try Evanston. Evanston is pretty pet friendly. Mainly the condominiums and townhouse subdivisions are the places that allow pets. You should look into renting a house there are plenty to rent here in Evanston, Skokie, Wilmette, Winnetka, and Northfield. I do not know what suburbs you are looking in but Evanston is a great community.

This community allows dogs under 40lbs or two cats. All animals must be spay and neuter. Find Evanston apartments and homes for rent in the NORTHERN CHICAGO SUB area at The Reserve at Evanston.. The building is in a great location. Just a little ways out of Downtown Evanston, near city hall, two grocery stores, Noyes Street, parks, and just a couple miles from the 4th and Linden Shopping district in Wilmette.

Here is my basic description of Evanston (There might be some things that do not matter to you):

I have been living in Evanston since November. I really like the area. It acts like a bridge between Chicago and the suburbs to the North. It is what I would call 'urburban'.

Evanston's town center is very nice and active. There are many high-rise condominium's and five high-rise office buildings. Evanston's town center has many shops. They are nice mid-range shops like, Pier1 Imports, Levi's Store, and Ann Taylor Loft. There are still some locally owned businesses but many have moved away. There are two nice mom & pop shopping areas. Central Street is very high end and is almost all locally owned businesses and Main-Chicago which is middle range locally owned businesses.

If Characture is high on your list, you will love Evanston. Evanston has many beautiful homes, streets, trees, parks, beaches, and buildings. Evanston had a few brick paved streets in the northeastern section. Evanston's streetlights are very interesting and were designed by Tallmadge & Watson. Evanston has a nice town center, which we call Downtown Evanston. There are some nice restaurants, cafes, and shops. Downtown Evanston has quite a few high-rise condominium buildings. New residents and I love the high-rises because they provide a nice contrast between the typical street car suburban Evanston neighborhoods. Many past residents hate them because they do bring some traffic into the community.

There are many cultural opportunities in Evanston. Evanston is home to Northwestern University which has extensive programs for local adults and children. Northwestern has a beautiful lakefront campus that is open to the public. There are lakefront playing fields and bike paths. Evanston Township High School also have some nice programs. I have an older neighbor who visits the Levy Senior Center every week.

Evanston taxes are extraordinary. My taxes are quite high. My home was close to $500,000. I have a renovated 4 bedroom 2.5 bath in Southern Evanston on Asbury. It is a very nice historic neighborhood. We are close to an Elementary and Middle School.

Many people say Evanston has a lor of racial diversity. I really disagree. Evanston's Southeastern, Eastern, Northeastern, and Northwest sections are close to being a White and Asian. Evanston's Western, and Southwestern areas are mostly Black and Hispanic. I live in a neighborhood that is mostly white and between Eastern and Western Evanston. Evanston does seem to have some racial tension in the school system. There is also a large gap in incomes here. The White and Asian areas tend to be of the Upper Middle and Upper Class. While the Black and Hispanic are of the Middle to Lower Classes.

Evanston is a large suburb so the town as a whole rarely gets to gather. Evanston, like Chicago is a community of neighborhoods. The neighborhoods vary greatly in demographics, incomes, and style. Evanston's neighborhoods are very tight knit. In fact the wealthier neighborhoods tend to be less tight knit.

Evanston has been a Tree City USA for close to 30 years. We have an extensive tree canopy as with most of the Northern Suburbs. Evanston has an extensive Forestry Department that constults you on tree care and maintains trees on parkways, treelawns, and in parks.

There are 4 major parking garages in the Downtown area. There are also several smaller public garages and parking lots in some of the newer buildings and in the alleys behind shops. Many of the Vintage Condominium and Apartment buildings do not offer off-street parking. Sometimes you can purchase parking spaces for $15,000 to $25,000. The newer condominiums and apartments (built after 1960) have garage or parking spaces usually included for free.

I right now have to commute to Schaumburg from Evanston, which takes me about 60 minutes. Evanston is within 40 minutes of the rest of the Northern Suburbs near the lake. Evanston is about 45 minutes from Downtown Chicago by car and 25 to 35 minutes by train.

thanks Bret, I really enjoyed your explanation of Evanston. It was well rounded and easy to understand. You kind of hit all avenues. Very good to know about the tree city thing. You make it easy to consider!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs