Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 12:22 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Are you now feeling burned by that decision?
No, just that I was wrong, imagine that, LOL! I got out with a profit. I didn't say it was undesirable, I just said it wasn't desirable to the people I thought it would be. I figured no one with kids would move to a school district like 201 and that it would be primarily DINKS to revitalize the community, and the schools would improve as a result of that. Of course I was applying my own standard of what I would or wouldn't do. I sure learned a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 12:37 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
No, just that I was wrong, imagine that, LOL! I got out with a profit. I didn't say it was undesirable, I just said it wasn't desirable to the people I thought it would be. I figured no one with kids would move to a school district like 201 and that it would be primarily DINKS to revitalize the community, and the schools would improve as a result of that. Of course I was applying my own standard of what I would or wouldn't do. I sure learned a lot!
I still think Berwyn has what it takes and seems to have a small devoted core of people making some changes, but there are just so many other options out there that spread potential buyers thinly. A lot of people may cross shop Berwyn with Jefferson Park or Mayfair, but cling to the "606XX" zip code. When schools aren't good, there is less pressure to be within the boundary lines, and more options open up. Meanwhile, tiny 15,000 person Hinsdale has sky-high real estate prices due to the intense competition to own within the school district. It's kind of nuts that similarly-sized residential lots on the same train line can have such a difference in value within such a small proximity.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
I still think Berwyn has what it takes and seems to have a small devoted core of people making some changes, but there are just so many other options out there that spread potential buyers thinly. A lot of people may cross shop Berwyn with Jefferson Park or Mayfair, but cling to the "606XX" zip code. When schools aren't good, there is less pressure to be within the boundary lines, and more options open up. Meanwhile, tiny 15,000 person Hinsdale has sky-high real estate prices due to the intense competition to own within the school district. It's kind of nuts that similarly-sized residential lots on the same train line can have such a difference in value within such a small proximity.
Well, from what I saw, I'm not sure Berwyn really wants to make changes. It's affordable, has a low crime rate, has good entertainment options and bars and restaurants for a community of that income level and, to a lot of people, the schools are just fine. And is that really so bad? Not everything has to be Oak Park or Hinsdale. I think the vast majority are good with just where it is.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
And is that really so bad? Not everything has to be Oak Park or Hinsdale. I think the vast majority are good with just where it is.
It would be a lot better if the schools were adequately preparing kids for adulthood. Unfortunately that is mostly something reserved for the well-off in Illinois.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
It would be a lot better if the schools were adequately preparing kids for adulthood. Unfortunately that is mostly something reserved for the well-off in Illinois.
Details, details, LOL! It would be nice if the parents cared more about it too. But oh well. Complex issues.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:28 PM

FWIW, only about 18% of Morton grads are ready for college coursework. So, yeah, there's a just a smidge of work do to there (IMHO of course).

J S MORTON HSD 201 | Ready for College Coursework

Oak Lawn and Evergreen Park are at 39% and 55% respectively. State average is 46%.

OAK LAWN COMM HIGH SCHOOL | Ready for College Coursework

EVERGREEN PARK HIGH SCHOOL | Ready for College Coursework

But a CPS gem like Fenger is 2%, so I guess any of the above would be an improvement to at least someone.

FENGER ACADEMY HIGH SCHOOL | Ready for College Coursework

Old 10-01-2014, 02:02 PM

Those stats are amazing to me. New Trier is 93% (I wonder what it's like to be in the 7% of New Trier students who aren't ready for college?).

Old 10-01-2014, 10:26 PM

n/a posts
Makes me sad, as I grew up in that area and have such fond memories as a child. It wasn't fancy, but that area seemed so nice and family oriented/safe as a child. Now, when I am in the area it's looking more and more sad. I guess that's why we are moving farther and farther west. Oh well...

Old 10-01-2014, 11:38 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,401,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
How did you know it was gang graffiti and not just plain old graffiti? Did you recognize what gang made the graffiti?

BTW - Those are actually southwest suburbs not south suburbs. They don't stick out that much.
I guess you're right. Yes, it was BDK apparently. I don't know if its 100% legit, but my point is either way, with the average income of the village dropping, i wouldn't be surprised if gangs do cross the city border and gain "territory" there.

South, southwest. Pick your poison. Point stands. Close in sw/ suburbs like Burbank and Justice are sort of te same way; down the tubes.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:12 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
I guess you're right. Yes, it was BDK apparently. I don't know if its 100% legit, but my point is either way, with the average income of the village dropping, i wouldn't be surprised if gangs do cross the city border and gain "territory" there.

South, southwest. Pick your poison. Point stands. Close in sw/ suburbs like Burbank and Justice are sort of te same way; down the tubes.
"Poison" I guess is areas where the people don't all look the same. Boring people always find a lack of monotony poisonous.

You are upset that Oak Lawn now is now somewhat diverse instead of everyone looking the same. Really? This shouldn't be a complaint. This a good thing. If you don't like diversity, move to a European country where over 90% of the country is white. Leave Chicagoland altogether. Leave America. Get out. We're better off without you, anyway. Neanderthals like you are holding us back. I don't understand why you people can't move to North Dakota or better yet, just leave the melting pot of America altogether.

America was already "down the tubes". The United States is a very diverse country. You can't reasonably expect to remain in a white bubble.

Last edited by urza216; 10-02-2014 at 02:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs