Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 05:43 PM

13 posts, read 26,528 times

Advertisements

My husband is starting a job soon in Lake Forest. I'm a stay at home mom for now. We have three small children and want great schools, a commute of no more than 30 minutes to Lake Forest, and a place where we will be able to make friends, since we won't know a soul! We are casting the net wide since we know nothing about the surrounding towns, and are looking (online so far) at houses in:
Lake Forest
Lake Bluff
Deerfield
Riverwoods
Lincolnshire
Highland Park
Libertyville

We've done all of the school research and feel (at least based on what scores and greatschools.org can provide in the way of reviews), that there are great schools in all these towns, which is our #1 consideration. What we have NO idea about is how the towns themselves actually feel. What is the vibe? Any and all comments appreciated, no matter how random, about what these towns are like. We have no feeling for any of it yet. We have a limited amount of time to pick and actually buy a house (will make ONE trip out there soon when we have not yet moved, and hopefully find what we need - so we need to make it count!) Thanks very much for any thoughts you can share!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 10:08 PM

57 posts, read 78,060 times
I'd recommend looking at Highland Park, Glencoe, Winnetka, Kenilworth and Wilmette. All of them are nicer than Lake Bluff, Deerfield, Riverwoods, lincolnshire and Libertyville. All of them. They have a unique community feel, and I would say that people are noticeably more "cosmopolitan" who live on the north shore as opposed to farther north and west, where it feels like you are solidly in the Midwest - not that that's a bad thing, but it is a pretty big difference. Of the places you listed, I would have to recommend Highland Park. The North Shore towns have the highest property taxes, and thus the best schools. Your kids would get a better education - and truly, a phenomenal one at that - on the North Shore, whereas they would get a good, but not excellent education in the other towns. I would say the vibe on the North Shore is more East Coast - Winnetka is quite similar to Scarsdale, NY, or Darien, CT, for instance. They are also closer to the city.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:21 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,415,387 times
I understand your take on these areas, but in terms of creature comforts the availability & costs of real estate will vary dramatically. Most of the towns you mentioned will be significantly more expensive across the board (with the exception of portions of Highland Park & Wilmette which are larger in size). The cosmopolitan feel I think comes about as a function of being within closer commuting distance of the Loop. Therefore, folks that live in more inner-ring suburbs naturally tend to have a closer connection with the city. The towns that you told the OP to disregard are still better if you require a larger, more sprawled out estate, however. It all comes down to the OP's priorities. All of these towns are obviously desirable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by palisades310 View Post
I'd recommend looking at Highland Park, Glencoe, Winnetka, Kenilworth and Wilmette. All of them are nicer than Lake Bluff, Deerfield, Riverwoods, lincolnshire and Libertyville. All of them. They have a unique community feel, and I would say that people are noticeably more "cosmopolitan" who live on the north shore as opposed to farther north and west, where it feels like you are solidly in the Midwest - not that that's a bad thing, but it is a pretty big difference. Of the places you listed, I would have to recommend Highland Park. The North Shore towns have the highest property taxes, and thus the best schools. Your kids would get a better education - and truly, a phenomenal one at that - on the North Shore, whereas they would get a good, but not excellent education in the other towns. I would say the vibe on the North Shore is more East Coast - Winnetka is quite similar to Scarsdale, NY, or Darien, CT, for instance. They are also closer to the city.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:12 AM

Thank you both for input! I should mention too that we have two enormous and energetic dogs (German Shepherd love muffin and a lab) and they need room to roam - so we want a decent sized yard (we don't need a multi-acre estate but definitely a large yard would be nice). I was under the impression that many of the towns that you've mentioned are a longer commute than 30 minutes at rush hour (he won't get flex time or work from home options). We did google traffic at rush hour and they seem closer to 45 minutes which would be a deal breaker for my husband (he doesn't ask much, at all, and his only request is a 20-30 minute commute, which I realize narrows our options considerably). We ARE looking for the qualities you mentioned though to the extent possible - more cosmopolitan, (we are bleeding heart liberals, and committed to public schools if that impacts any advice), we enjoy an artsy vibe and meeting people who have traveled.

We are moving from just north of LA so believe it or not, living in any of the towns I listed will be cheaper than where we are (we are in an $800K condo right now... looking forward to a yard!!!) In absolute terms still sickeningly expensive, but that is what 30 year mortgages are for, right...

Thanks again for your input! Any additional thoughts appreciated, on the towns I noted above which are easier drives for husband (who is also not a good driver, and has not driven in rain, snow or ice in 20 years).

Old 10-07-2014, 07:15 AM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,361,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palisades310 View Post
While the north shore schools are excellent, the best rated high schools in the north and northwest suburbs, year in and year out are Stevenson (covers Lincolnshire, north Buffalo Grove, Long Grove, Riverwoods, Kildeer, etc) and Deerfield - with Libertyville and Highland Park not far behind. I would not use Great Schools as much of an indicator. There are far better, more objective analyses available. New Trier is great, but it does consistently lag Stevenson and Deerfield in most school performance indicators.

Some of this decision will depend on where in Lake Forest the job location is. If it is in the Route 60 and I 94 area, there are far more options available than if the job location is further east (like Lake Forest Hospital). East/West traffic is bad and the further west the work location is, the more possibilities for a 30 minute commute (which will be tough in the winter no matter where you are unless across the street).

I do agree with you about the "feel" of suburbs the further west you go. But I, and obviously many others, prefer the Midwest vibe (the last thing we want is to be comparable to Scarsdale or Darien), do not want an urban feel (which I for one fled after growing up in the city), and prefer quiet and more open spaces. To each their own.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:09 AM

Default Thank you...

Yes, we've heard great things about Stevenson and Deerfield high, and Libertyville (and of course Nutrier but think that's outside of our search area). I don't know what else to go on besides the testing scores (including ISAT/ ACT/ PSAE), and random reviews on great schools.org - do you have other sources I should check out? that would be great! I have been going to school/ district web sites trying to figure out what kinds of after school activities and clubs they have as a gauge, too (our kids are pre-K and young elementary so focusing on those first, but with an eye to making sure we are in the "right" high school areas when that time comes - sure hope this is out LAST move)!

I have to say my husband and I have a more urban sensibility, and we value diversity (currently on a street of all professionals, but racially very diverse) - and we want the creature comforts (and safety and education) in a suburban area like the one we enjoy now. So we are trying to find a happy medium. Guess what I'm asking is, since we ARE going to be out in the 'burbs, which is the most urbane of the selections we've made? Maybe Highland Park?
Can I throw out a few questions that may not be totally PC?
- So Libertyville's town web page looks like a fox news spin-off... is that accidental, or is it a more conservative area?
- I've heard from some friends of friends that HP and Deerfield are "very Jewish." If this is the case, would it be a problem for non-Jews like us who are totally new to community (we are unitarian FWIW) to fit in/ be accepted?

These are just a couple of the things about the "flavor" of all these towns that we are lacking. We have no idea what they are like. I mean, if the towns were people, what would they be like? Open and accepting? Diverse, or very homogenous in terms of views and beliefs? We are very much "to each his own" and "any kind of family built with love and respect is a family" kind of people - we want to raise our kids around other folks with those inclusive values.

Again, thank you all for taking the time to respond - it's much appreciated!

Old 10-07-2014, 09:38 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,985,566 times
As far as the type of vibe you're looking for, Evanston would be the best choice by far for you, but it wouldn't work for your husband's commute.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:21 AM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,361,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
As far as the type of vibe you're looking for, Evanston would be the best choice by far for you, but it wouldn't work for your husband's commute.
That, or maybe Oak Park. But that also is probably a non starter commute wise. And in either Evanston or Oak Park, one would be taking a couple of steps down as far as schools go (more so in Evanston than Oak Park).

I don't think any of the suburbs listed in the original post will fit the bill that the OP is looking for as far as environment or vibe goes. Liberal, diverse, and urban they definitely are not.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:38 AM

8 posts, read 19,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkies341 View Post
Yes, we've heard great things about Stevenson and Deerfield high, and Libertyville.

I have to say my husband and I have a more urban sensibility, and we value diversity (currently on a street of all professionals, but racially very diverse) - and we want the creature comforts (and safety and education) in a suburban area like the one we enjoy now. So we are trying to find a happy medium. Guess what I'm asking is, since we ARE going to be out in the 'burbs, which is the most urbane of the selections we've made? Maybe Highland Park?
Professors at usc, ucla, stanford, and any ivy league school are very aware of New Trier and know it's an excellent school. I've heard from the mouth of a Stanford professor that New Trier students are simply better prepared than those from Palo Alto High - so it's one of the best schools in the country. Stevenson? Deerfield? They are not on the same level as New Trier. New Trier is more akin to Harvard Westlake or Oaks Christian, while those schools are akin to pretty good high schools like Thousand Oaks High School - good, but not quite on the same level as HW and OC.

Especially considering you're moving from LA, I would not recommend moving to a northwest suburb. You are bleeding heart liberals, which you will find many of in Highland Park, Glencoe and Winnetka. The farther northwest you go the more Republican and less worldly it gets. The most urbane you selected is 100% Highland Park.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:45 AM

Thank you all again for your input - so much appreciated!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs