U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 07:05 AM

3 posts, read 28,960 times

Advertisements

What can anyone tell me about Shady Lane Restaurant and Shady Lane Theatre on Route 20 in Marengo, Illinois. I know it was built in 1900, anyone have any other details or input about it? Thanks, Yager
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2006, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 11,409 times
Default Shady Lane Playhouse, Marengo Ill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yager View Post
What can anyone tell me about Shady Lane Restaurant and Shady Lane Theatre on Route 20 in Marengo, Illinois. I know it was built in 1900, anyone have any other details or input about it? Thanks, Yager

HI YAGER,
WOW I COULD NOT BELIEVE MY EYES WHEN I SAW YOUR POSTING ABOUT SHADY LANE PLAYHOUSE. WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW, I GREW UP ON THE PROPERTY OF SHADY LANE PLAYHOUSE , MY GRANDPARENTS WERE THE CARE TAKERS FOR THE PROPERTY FOR THE OWER RAY CORNEL, I WORKED THERE GROWING UP PARKING CARS , COOKING, MAKING ALL THE RECEIPES FOR THE HOME COOKED MEALS AND WAS A DISHWASHER AND BUSBOY THERE, THE STORIES AND PICTURES I HAVE ARE ENDLESS, PLEASE EMAIL ME DIRECT AT WILLIAMSMWM@AOL.COM FOR ANY INFO YOU WANT OR NEED. I NOW LIVE IN TUCSON ARIZONA, I WOULD LOVE TO TALK TO YOU, MICHAEL

Old 02-05-2007, 06:16 PM

3 posts, read 28,960 times
Michael, We sent y ou an email!.. really looking forward to talking with you. We have been trying to get infro. on the place for a while. this is like a miracle!... thanks.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:40 PM

6 posts, read 35,708 times
Smile Shady Lane correction....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkw33 View Post
HI YAGER,
WOW I COULD NOT BELIEVE MY EYES WHEN I SAW YOUR POSTING ABOUT SHADY LANE PLAYHOUSE. WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW, I GREW UP ON THE PROPERTY OF SHADY LANE PLAYHOUSE , MY GRANDPARENTS WERE THE CARE TAKERS FOR THE PROPERTY FOR THE OWER RAY CORNEL, I WORKED THERE GROWING UP PARKING CARS , COOKING, MAKING ALL THE RECEIPES FOR THE HOME COOKED MEALS AND WAS A DISHWASHER AND BUSBOY THERE, THE STORIES AND PICTURES I HAVE ARE ENDLESS, PLEASE EMAIL ME DIRECT AT WILLIAMSMWM@AOL.COM FOR ANY INFO YOU WANT OR NEED. I NOW LIVE IN TUCSON ARIZONA, I WOULD LOVE TO TALK TO YOU, MICHAEL
I worked there as an usher '73-'75. Owner was Ray Curnow not Cornel. I was in one of the plays. When I find the program I'll see if I can make a copy of some of it to email it to you. take care, from...westcoralroad

Old 03-03-2008, 12:16 PM

2 posts, read 17,280 times
Default Past Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yager View Post
Shady Lane has been shutdown and not in use for the better part of 15 years that I have lived in the area. There was a guy out of Rockford that tried to make a go of it there about 10 years back but couldn't. This place reminds me a lot of what Pheasant Run in St. Charles looked like 40 years ago. Back then Pheasant Run was in the middle of nowhere with the only benefit being it was near Dupage County Airport. St.Charles has no grown to support this place. Shady Lane could have been like this. Now it is falling into disrepair

Old 03-03-2008, 01:46 PM

3,131 posts, read 10,591,980 times
when i was young, my parents used to go there with friends. they always spoke fondly of the place! I grew up in st. charles, and it was a bit of a drive for them, but they really liked it!

Old 05-08-2008, 05:05 PM

1 posts, read 10,807 times
Smile Wow! Shady Lane!

What a (nice) blast from the past. I grew up on a farm just about a 10-min drive from Shady Lane. It was known to our family as a place where wannabe actors started out in 'summer rep' with small local audiences. It had good wholesome simple filling food as I recall, though was out of our budget most of the time - we went maybe once every year or two as a family treat. One of my abiding memories is when I and my fiance (then, wife now) 'treated' my mum to a meal there (a first for my fiance from England). It's one of the last times we enjoyed a meal together before she passed with cancer some months later. It was a nice place to meet to eat - good food, good-ish prices, good atmosphere, friendly. Nice memories. Shame it had to shut down. Hopefully someone will open it up again soon!!! )

Old 05-09-2008, 01:50 PM

6 posts, read 35,708 times
Hi Indian Al, By any chance is your wifes' name Mary? When I was in Jr. high in Union, now the Historical Society bldg. Mary Nealan came to our school from England. She had moved here with her family. I remember her brother James too. I graduated MCHS in 1973. I'm on classmates.com also. Marcia Steffen. I met Dennis Miller in 1974 or '75@ the theater. I was an usher there @ the time. Very nice guy. My friend April who worked before I started there had met David Hasselhoff there too. I met & seated June Lockhart of "Lassie & Lost in Space" TV fame. Also A very nice person. I have photos of an old program from '75 when I was in a play. And 2 photos of a bartender & one of the organists. Take care. Marcia C. If you'd like to see the program info & photos send me your email address.
mjc1955.1958@gmail.com
Our family sold the farm in '99 & moved to N. FL where we bought the Starke, KOA Campground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Al View Post
What a (nice) blast from the past. I grew up on a farm just about a 10-min drive from Shady Lane. It was known to our family as a place where wannabe actors started out in 'summer rep' with small local audiences. It had good wholesome simple filling food as I recall, though was out of our budget most of the time - we went maybe once every year or two as a family treat. One of my abiding memories is when I and my fiance (then, wife now) 'treated' my mum to a meal there (a first for my fiance from England). It's one of the last times we enjoyed a meal together before she passed with cancer some months later. It was a nice place to meet to eat - good food, good-ish prices, good atmosphere, friendly. Nice memories. Shame it had to shut down. Hopefully someone will open it up again soon!!! )

Last edited by linicx; 09-03-2009 at 02:10 PM..

Old 05-10-2008, 10:53 AM

8 posts, read 33,831 times
What a crazy email! I have always been intrigued by Shady Lane! My inlaws live in Harvard and so I have driven past the place and its just so sad and in such despair. About 7 years ago someone tried to open it and my father in law was talking with them about potential job openings there. It never happened though. I would love to see the place opened.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 9,942 times
Shady Lane Theater burned down last night. I know a person who lives the small house directly behind the theater. I dont know the exact extent of the damage. But what I do know is as follows:

At approx. 11:50 pm last night the residents of the small house smelled smoke. The husband ran out and saw the the entire roof of the theater was engulfed in flames. He called the fire dept. The male residents words were "The theater burnt to the ground." (however he does tend to exagerate) At this point the fire officials are investigating for a cause. (there was extreme lightening last night so most likely the building was hit) At this point the fire dept has closed off the area and the residents of the small house have had to seek other living arrangements until the investigation is complete.

The current owner is in Florida at the present time on vacation.

I was just in the theater and adjoining resturant about 8 weeks ago and took photos. I will go back when the property is released by the fire officials and take photos of the damage. If anyone is interested I will post both sets of photos on line.

(The steak house that is also on this property did not sustain any damage to my knowledge.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs