Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2014, 11:41 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times

Advertisements

Hello! Just accepted a job offer at the airport in Waukegan Illinois. Originally from South Bend Indiana, so I'm not too far removed from this place, but it is in the Chicago metro area, quite a bit different from what I am used to, and I'll be moving there knowing absolutely no one.

What I really need is some advice on areas to move to for someone in my age and income range.

I'm a 25 year old single white male, projected income will be $60-$70k annual. Initially I will have very little money moving into the area, so I'm preferably looking for something cheap and then perhaps after finishing a 6 or 12 month lease moving to somewhere nicer and larger. My needs are simple at the moment, at least a 1 bedroom, preferably 2, pet friendly, and in a low crime area.

I took a small tour of Waukegan itself and was not overly impressed with it. The neighborhoods seem okay for the most part, but much of the town feels a little depressed. I am aware that Gurnee is only 3 miles away and it seems to be a very well to do suburb. Besides these two towns I'm a little clueless on what else there is in the area. I'd like to stay no more than 15 miles from the Waukegan airport.

Any advice on places to rent or move to is appreciated, as well as any other advice on the area and things newcomers might find handy.

Since Waukegan is just a suburb I was hoping traffic in the area wouldn't be too bad. Anything else about Waukegan or the nearby area I should know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 12:19 PM

545 posts, read 1,484,884 times
I'd look in Gurnee first if I were you - preferably west of 41. Gurnee has pretty much everything you'd need amenity wise, is safe, close to your job, and there should be plenty of rental options available. I wouldn't exactly call it well to do - more middle class than anything.

I also wouldn't call Waukegan a suburb. It's a city of 85,000. There are some decent areas, mostly around the airport and along Sheridan, but on the whole it's a typical midwest post industrial city. The city itself is about 75% Hispanic immigrants. There's not a lot of serious crime but there is property theft and some drug issues. I worked in Waukegan for 5 years and never felt that it was unsafe.

Otherwise your options are kind of limited if you want a short commute. You could also look in Pleasant Prairie or Kenosha WI. Hope this helps!

Old 10-19-2014, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian571 View Post
I'd look in Gurnee first if I were you - preferably west of 41. Gurnee has pretty much everything you'd need amenity wise, is safe, close to your job, and there should be plenty of rental options available. I wouldn't exactly call it well to do - more middle class than anything.

I also wouldn't call Waukegan a suburb. It's a city of 85,000. There are some decent areas, mostly around the airport and along Sheridan, but on the whole it's a typical midwest post industrial city. The city itself is about 75% Hispanic immigrants. There's not a lot of serious crime but there is property theft and some drug issues. I worked in Waukegan for 5 years and never felt that it was unsafe.

Otherwise your options are kind of limited if you want a short commute. You could also look in Pleasant Prairie or Kenosha WI. Hope this helps!
Aurora is about 180,000 but most definitely a suburb of Chicago. I had thought of Kenosha since it's across the state line, might be slightly cheaper. Why do you say my options are limited?

Old 10-19-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Aurora is about 180,000 but most definitely a suburb of Chicago. I had thought of Kenosha since it's across the state line, might be slightly cheaper. Why do you say my options are limited?
You said you wanted to keep it cheap, so that limits your options a bit Places like Libertyviile and Vernon Hills are excellent, but they're going to kind of pricy and may be further than you'd want to drive.

The closest areas to your job are:

Gurnee and Waukegan: (covered already)
Wadsworth: more rural and won't have many rental options, very few amenities
Zion: Similar to Waukegan, but with fewer decent areas. Has some crime issues.
Winthrop Harbor: could be an option, but pretty sleepy
Kenosha/Pleasant Prairie: Has some nice areas, decent amenities, cheaper than Gurnee

You could also look in Lindenhurst. It's directly west of Gurnee, so you still have access to everything there, it's still a nice community (lots of forest preserves in town) and there should be some rental options.

As far as Kenosha and Pleasant Priairie go, housing costs are generally cheaper there than in IL. There's plenty of shopping and other things along and near Hwy 50 and I-94, and its low crime as long as you avoid a few areas - generally everything west of Green Bay Rd. / 31 and/or south of 50 is fine. It also has a great recreation area / gym run by the Village of Pleasant Prairie that's inexpensive to use (Lakeview Recplex). Many will tell you that Wisconsin has higher taxes, and it's true the income tax is slightly higher there. But take it from someone who has lived in both IL and Wi - it's very similar or even slightly cheaper in WI when you factor in the higher sales tax and things like city stickers, grocery taxes, higher gas prices, etc. It's definitely worth a look considering where you'll be working.

I lived in Pleasant Prairie for a little over a year and recently moved from the Lindenhurst/Lake Villa area, so I know the area well. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian571 View Post
You said you wanted to keep it cheap, so that limits your options a bit Places like Libertyviile and Vernon Hills are excellent, but they're going to kind of pricy and may be further than you'd want to drive.

The closest areas to your job are:

Gurnee and Waukegan: (covered already)
Wadsworth: more rural and won't have many rental options, very few amenities
Zion: Similar to Waukegan, but with fewer decent areas. Has some crime issues.
Winthrop Harbor: could be an option, but pretty sleepy
Kenosha/Pleasant Prairie: Has some nice areas, decent amenities, cheaper than Gurnee

You could also look in Lindenhurst. It's directly west of Gurnee, so you still have access to everything there, it's still a nice community (lots of forest preserves in town) and there should be some rental options.

As far as Kenosha and Pleasant Priairie go, housing costs are generally cheaper there than in IL. There's plenty of shopping and other things along and near Hwy 50 and I-94, and its low crime as long as you avoid a few areas - generally everything west of Green Bay Rd. / 31 and/or south of 50 is fine. It also has a great recreation area / gym run by the Village of Pleasant Prairie that's inexpensive to use (Lakeview Recplex). Many will tell you that Wisconsin has higher taxes, and it's true the income tax is slightly higher there. But take it from someone who has lived in both IL and Wi - it's very similar or even slightly cheaper in WI when you factor in the higher sales tax and things like city stickers, grocery taxes, higher gas prices, etc. It's definitely worth a look considering where you'll be working.

I lived in Pleasant Prairie for a little over a year and recently moved from the Lindenhurst/Lake Villa area, so I know the area well. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Thank you for the great reply. You said Wintrhop Harbor could be an option? I don't mind a sleepy suburb so long as it's only a few minutes away from some good amenities.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:15 PM

It's an option. It has a small town feel more than suburban. Anything you need should be available across the border in Kenosha. Gurnee is about 30 mins away for everything else. The larger shopping/restaurant areas in Kenosha/PP are around 50 and Green Bay Rd (31) and 50 and I-94. If you want something closer, there's a Wal-Mart on 173 just west of town. There are some nice parks and recreation are close by. Illinois Beach State Park is just south and Kenosha's lakefront is just north. Probably less than 10 mins away for both of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs