Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 06:58 AM

440 posts, read 329,209 times

Advertisements

Cook County in general is in rapid decline because the property and income taxes are not cheap. Foreclosure rates are on the rise everywhere. Foreclosure is also prevalent in priarily white, wealthy suburbs such as Hinsdale. Over extension and living beyond ones financial means is not limited to minorities, it crosses all racial boundaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 07:37 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,507,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preaching2thechoir View Post
Cook County in general is in rapid decline because the property and income taxes are not cheap. Foreclosure rates are on the rise everywhere. Foreclosure is also prevalent in priarily white, wealthy suburbs such as Hinsdale. Over extension and living beyond ones financial means is not limited to minorities, it crosses all racial boundaries.
Forgive me for coming off as being a smart ***** here, but this is the case all over the country not just Cook Cty. Haven't you been watching the news??? The whole country is plummeting into a recession and if China keeps hammering us over the head the way they are with everything (taking away all our jobs, paying top dollar for oil IN CASH mind you, providing cheap labor, etc.) a depression is not impossible. Nobody is buying anything. I was at Wal Mart on Saturday afternoon... SATURDAY, and it was DEAD. Now that is scary because I can remember in years past, you were lucky to even get in the door there on a Saturday because it would be so crowded, and the mall is the same way.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:27 AM

162 posts, read 803,249 times
Yes - and my intent was NOT to say this is a racial issue, I was just speaking to factors that may or may not cause white flight.

The foreclosure issue is not limited to any race or area - it is totally out of control and is not getting better anytime soon. Not good for the economy and it was just a matter of time - for the past couple years it has been easier to get a mortgage than a car loan - lots of people got rich and LOTS of people got screwed. Now we are all paying the price.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:58 AM

3 posts, read 13,172 times
Default Residency?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Harvey Resident View Post
Do they offer any incentives for Village Employees, like police officers to stay/live in town. No! They lift residency and all the officers move to Will County and such. They have such a problem living in town, but they don't have a problem working there.

People have a right to live where they want. If you feel so strongly in your logic that you must live where you work I sure hope you practice what you preach and live in the municipality in which you're employed. We are losing valuable young Officers to other agencies specifically BECAUSE of the residency requirement and it is NOT easy to replace them with QUALIFIED applicants. Our lists are at most 15 people long and often result in 1 or 2 hires. I do not really know where the feelings of entitlement and ownership come from in regards to public perception anyway.

We all do our jobs to the best of our abilities and receive fair compensation - what difference does it make where we live? My father worked at Inland Steel his whole life and we certainly didn't grow up in East Chicago! I believe it makes people feel better, they believe it somehow makes the neighborhoods "feel safer; more secure" - of course this is merely a perception and not reality. It isn't like you can run over to your Police Officer neighbor and he/she will suddenly spring into action in regards to your incident. This is very unrealistic! My wife and children are instructed to keep the door closed, locked, and dial 911 - the same thing the neighbor should be doing. Does this feeling of a security blanket triumph over the employees Constitutional Rights? Luckily, most municipalities are abolishing this "old school mentality" and doing the right thing by letting employees make their own living choices. Calumet City, South Holland, and Kankakee are all examples. Unfortunately, in Lansing, the union was unable to secure this right in binding arbitration. Now, we are already suffering the consequences - very qualified Officers leaving for other agencies and many others in the process. The administrators and public do not realize the impact this ordinance makes. Remember, when you dial 911 are you truly getting the best qualified Police Officer...or merely the best qualified Officer who is willing to live in Lansing?

Old 01-21-2008, 11:31 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cibeg View Post
People have a right to live where they want. If you feel so strongly in your logic that you must live where you work I sure hope you practice what you preach and live in the municipality in which you're employed. We are losing valuable young Officers to other agencies specifically BECAUSE of the residency requirement and it is NOT easy to replace them with QUALIFIED applicants. Our lists are at most 15 people long and often result in 1 or 2 hires. I do not really know where the feelings of entitlement and ownership come from in regards to public perception anyway.
I have mixed feelings on residency requirements for cops and firemen. Most suburbs do not do this for the reasons you say. It just becomes too difficult to get qualified officers, particularly in smaller communities. But to offer incentives for them to move there after they're hired? I don't see anything wrong with that. I think folks who live in the community they patrol are going to care a little bit more. Anyone know if any 'burbs do this?

Old 01-21-2008, 11:54 AM

3 posts, read 13,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
I have mixed feelings on residency requirements for cops and firemen. Most suburbs do not do this for the reasons you say. It just becomes too difficult to get qualified officers, particularly in smaller communities. But to offer incentives for them to move there after they're hired? I don't see anything wrong with that. I think folks who live in the community they patrol are going to care a little bit more. Anyone know if any 'burbs do this?
Many of the south suburbs USED to have this requirement, but have either abolished it as a decision or were forced to when police unions challenged the status quo through binding arbitration. I do not know of any municipalities in the Lansing area which have residency and/or offer incentives to live in the community in which he/she is employed. The only benefit some municipalities offer is the ability to take home the police vehicle - which, in my experience, is more trouble than it's worth. Particularly when it is nothing more than a billboard which yells A POLICE OFFICER LIVES HERE! No thanks, if I had the choice mine would stay at work.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:35 AM

15 posts, read 93,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cibeg View Post

We all do our jobs to the best of our abilities and receive fair compensation - what difference does it make where we live? My father worked at Inland Steel his whole life and we certainly didn't grow up in East Chicago! I believe it makes people feel better, they believe it somehow makes the neighborhoods "feel safer; more secure" - of course this is merely a perception and not reality. It isn't like you can run over to your Police Officer neighbor and he/she will suddenly spring into action in regards to your incident. This is very unrealistic! My wife and children are instructed to keep the door closed, locked, and dial 911 - the same thing the neighbor should be doing. Does this feeling of a security blanket triumph over the employees Constitutional Rights? Luckily, most municipalities are abolishing this "old school mentality" and doing the right thing by letting employees make their own living choices. Calumet City, South Holland, and Kankakee are all examples. Unfortunately, in Lansing, the union was unable to secure this right in binding arbitration. Now, we are already suffering the consequences - very qualified Officers leaving for other agencies and many others in the process. The administrators and public do not realize the impact this ordinance makes. Remember, when you dial 911 are you truly getting the best qualified Police Officer...or merely the best qualified Officer who is willing to live in Lansing?
Yes, you do have a right to live where every you want. I never wrote that, you didn't. Futhermore, I'm talking about village employees who are paid, with tax dollars! Just like employees employed with the City of Chicago, including educators....now have to LIVE in Chicago! What does your father who worked for Inland Steel have to do with this? That company, doesn't pay it's employees with tax-payer dollars?

I stated how about making incentives for village-employees, who do still live in town? Many other cities have these type of benefits! What tends to happen in many South Suburban communities, is that when the police officers/fire-fighters/EMT's and such start moving out, people.... especially non-minorities, start abandoning ship! Then as a result, businesses start pulling out, so on and so forth and there begins a demise of a community! This is what I've seen my entire adult life, living in the South Suburbs, of the Chicagoland area!

I worked in Orland/Tinley park area for over a decade. They have residency-requirements, for village-employees.... and it's NOT a problem! However, it's a problem for urban-community areas, because the White employees, don't want to live there!

Yes, we do practice what we preach! My husband has worked for the Village we live in for nearly two decades. They even lifted residency and we are still here! Many of the elderly towns-people were dishearten when the residency was lifted and are uber appreciative of those who stayed, like us. Interesting enough, it was all of the White officers and such who were so eager to leave because, "oh my.....I don't want to live in a town with people of color moving in and the administration voted in, is now diverse too. Ugh, perish the thought!"

Yes, town-people, felt a sense of security with officers/fire-fighters and such living in town. It maybe perceptions of safety more than a reality in your opinion. However, it's assuring to know when there's a serious sitiuation, that results in calling in numerous staff members to be on-site, they can get there in five minutes. Instead of, taking 45+ minutes because they all moved to St. John/Crown Point or Merrillville Indiana. We felt a since to stay in the community because it's a good community and just because minorities are moving in, doesn't make it bad!

I've experienced White-Flight my entire adult life. I find it quite sad and pathetic! The foundation of this nation was built on diversity. The Mid-West (Illinois), is one of the most racist states ever. My family are all from the South. Believe it or not, they couldn't believe how White people acted when they moved into a community. They lived right next door to other races in South; the so-called heart of racism and never had problems.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:49 AM

15 posts, read 93,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vester72 View Post
Here is a real situation in a real suburb on the Southwest side (I will not name the suburb), this is one of the real things that causes "white flight" - to be clear, I do know that most reasons for "white flight" are not due to this specific circumstance and the bizarre mortgage market created this situation.

There is a subdivision in a 95% white suburb - homes there start at $600k and go to $1mm or so (I know one of the developers personally so this is factual).

This subdivision (75+ homes) was all white - then had 15 or so black families move in over a 8-12 month period. No big deal, diversity, etc. Well, as of last month, of those 15, 8 are in foreclosure and 4 have not paid property taxes (that is all public record). Crazy, right? I have never heard of anything like that - and neither has the developer. Now he is freaked out when he sees any black person looking there because he has a lot of lots to sell and foreclosures kill property value.

For the record, none of the white people are in foreclosure or are in arrears on taxes.

So, do white people (meaning the neighbors and the developer) wanting to leave/get out or not wanting black people moving in make them racist, or do the circumstances justify it?

I am not saying what is right or wrong because in this situation, I can see both sides. . .

And I do know this same type of situation is happening in other subdivisions across the Southwest burbs to it is not isolated.
I find this incident to be an "exception and not the norm." I've worked in real estate for four years. I've seen numerous foreclosures in Hinsdale/Naperville/Lockport/New Lennox/Mokena which are predominantly White areas. It was White people there, who were in foreclosures. Futhermore, for someone to run scared, thinking Black people moving in means future floreclosed properties.... next to you, is pure ignorance. I now this is not your thinking....but for someone who does think like this, is a total imbecile! Foreclosures, are not prone to Black people.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:21 PM

440 posts, read 329,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
Forgive me for coming off as being a smart ***** here, but this is the case all over the country not just Cook Cty. Haven't you been watching the news??? The whole country is plummeting into a recession and if China keeps hammering us over the head the way they are with everything (taking away all our jobs, paying top dollar for oil IN CASH mind you, providing cheap labor, etc.) a depression is not impossible. Nobody is buying anything. I was at Wal Mart on Saturday afternoon... SATURDAY, and it was DEAD. Now that is scary because I can remember in years past, you were lucky to even get in the door there on a Saturday because it would be so crowded, and the mall is the same way.
Gee, if you had read the topic of this thread, you could have saved yourself a few keystrokes. I would have to be deaf, dumb and blind to not be aware of what is occurring all over the US. This thread was referencing south suburban ILLINOIS. I was responding to the post regarding foreclosures in SUBURBAN ILLINOIS.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:02 PM

4 posts, read 19,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vester72 View Post
Here is a real situation in a real suburb on the Southwest side (I will not name the suburb), this is one of the real things that causes "white flight" - to be clear, I do know that most reasons for "white flight" are not due to this specific circumstance and the bizarre mortgage market created this situation.

There is a subdivision in a 95% white suburb - homes there start at $600k and go to $1mm or so (I know one of the developers personally so this is factual).

This subdivision (75+ homes) was all white - then had 15 or so black families move in over a 8-12 month period. No big deal, diversity, etc. Well, as of last month, of those 15, 8 are in foreclosure and 4 have not paid property taxes (that is all public record). Crazy, right? I have never heard of anything like that - and neither has the developer. Now he is freaked out when he sees any black person looking there because he has a lot of lots to sell and foreclosures kill property value.

For the record, none of the white people are in foreclosure or are in arrears on taxes.

So, do white people (meaning the neighbors and the developer) wanting to leave/get out or not wanting black people moving in make them racist, or do the circumstances justify it?

I am not saying what is right or wrong because in this situation, I can see both sides. . .

And I do know this same type of situation is happening in other subdivisions across the Southwest burbs to it is not isolated.

Any businessman worth his salt would not base the performance of an entire segment of the population on the actions of 15 buyers. The timeframe for when they bought the homes, and more importantly the types of mortgages they used to finance the homes are more of an issue than their race.

All of the closet racists need to realize that the recession that is being brought on by the housing slump and sub-prime blow up is not being caused by people who only make up 12%-14% of the population. I don't hear too many of the personal responsibility folks talking to loudly these days....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs