Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2014, 12:27 AM

8 posts, read 21,492 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I searched for threads about Kildeer and read through what there is, but there isn't much... I assume it's because the village population is so small. Can you please offer your opinions on what you see as the major pros and cons of buying a house in Kildeer? I'd especially love to hear from folks who live or have lived in Kildeer. My wife and I are considering purchasing a house we like in Kildeer to live in for the long term, and want to make sure we didn't miss anything important that we should consider. And we are aware that some of Kildeer feeds into Lake Zurich HS while some into Stevenson. The house we're looking at feeds into Lake Zurich HS. And I work in Northbrook. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 08:04 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,921,999 times
Towns that are split amreong school districts tend to be harder to track value in housing, though with MLS allowing searches by school district this is easier than it once was.

The relative lack of traditional town center is likely to turn off some buyers too.

There are traffic issues in that portion of the region, unlikely to improve without huge changes in attitudes / development policies.

Taxes are often quite high considering what you get, need to be careful about ongoing costs for things like septic / well / fire sprinklers -- these are more maintenance intensive than homes hooked to municipal water / sewer / fire hydrants ...

Pros? More house for the money than some areas.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:08 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,189,313 times
Nice area, not so nice commute.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:10 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,062,958 times
Pros:
-safe area
-good schools
-also more house for many than most expensive suburbs (Houses zoned for Lake Zurich HS are typically cheaper)
-very pretty with lots of trees and nice houses
-close to the Deer Park Town Center
Cons:
-some parts of the town are far from a lot of places
-expensive and high taxes
-Yes, there are some homes with well water and septic sewers and it does contribute to high taxes

Overall, Kildeer is a great town to live in and I think that it will be a nice place to buy a house.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:22 PM

Thanks all for your feedback.

4122 - how do homes with well water and septic contribute to high taxes? I was under the impression that well & septic keep taxes lower... wouldn't the property taxes be even higher if the homes were connected to city water and city sewers due to the costs of installing those systems?

Old 12-03-2014, 09:08 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,921,999 times
I suppose the theory of some founders of these towns not having municipal water system or sewage was that they would help to keep taxes down but in practice that has not really worked. While the municipalities don't have to levy for these things neither do they have any users fees for on-going operations of the staff that might not just maintain the water / sewers, but also are needed to things like road maintenance in the summer and plowing in the winter.

In a relative sense the costs of maintaining one's own well / septic as well as paying taxes for schools, parks, county, township, fire protection district and things provided by the municipality (police, zoning, roads...) is often not a good value.

Of course if you find a home that is not inside an incorporated area you might "save" on the municipal taxes and then have to rely on county for sheriff's police protection / county zoning, but you still pay for the all the other stuff from fire protection district back to schools and the difference is probably just a few hundred dollars...

Old 12-03-2014, 11:24 AM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,343,060 times
At one point, we were looking to buy in Kildeer, Long Grove, Hawthorn Woods, or Deer Park. One of the major factors that kept us away was having well and septic. Wells do go dry, and in hot summers without a lot of rain, there are always stories in the Herald about people having to deepen their wells and having to wait for contractors to get to them. Those areas do not have fire hydrants either, so fire departments have to bring in tanker trucks and/or pump from the nearest pond, which may not be close by. I believe that new construction is required to have a sprinkler system with a battery back up (when power goes out, so does your pump), but houses built maybe 10 years ago and earlier probably do not have a sprinkler system installed.

Kildeer is a very nice area. A little less spread out than Long Grove while still maintaining a more rural character (e.g., no sidewalks, streets without curbs, few street lights, lots of open space between houses). At one time it was pretty isolated, but now with all of the development in Deer Park, pretty much anything you need is a short drive away.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:41 PM

Thanks everyone for your feedback. We decided to go for it and the seller accepted our offer.

Old 05-07-2021, 09:33 PM

28 posts, read 33,262 times
How do you like it now in Kildeer? Would be interested to hear about your experience. Did you like it or regret moving there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs