Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 07:15 PM

36 posts, read 49,201 times

Advertisements

Im a 25 year old bio grad trying to find work... any work, in the science field. Not necessarily bio. I'm not looking for high end work or a well paying job or anything. Right now I'm just looking for some kind of temp opportunity to get started. I live in Cleveland right now but I want to move. No necessarily long term, I just want something different as i've been in NE Ohio my entire life. I would def consider moving back at some point as I really like Cleveland, but now's not that time.

I feel like I would love Denver or Seattle, as in general I prefer cold over heat, and I think the mountainous regions are beautiful. I like being outdoors hiking/running and Those areas would have a lot to offer. But I also feel like trying to move that far out without much work experience under my belt might be tricky... I don't really know how people go about moving that long of a distance without a job in place. So right now i'm looking at Buffalo, Columbus, Rochester, maybe Pittsburgh or Chicago. Also Indy, tho I really known nothing about that city. I'd want to live close to other people my age, and not knowing much about the city I don't really know where that is or where a good area to start looking would be. Chicago is huge so I really wouldn't know where to start
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 08:59 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default Frankly you are almost certainly ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrrs89 View Post
Im a 25 year old bio grad trying to find work... any work, in the science field. Not necessarily bio. I'm not looking for high end work or a well paying job or anything. Right now I'm just looking for some kind of temp opportunity to get started. I live in Cleveland right now but I want to move. No necessarily long term, I just want something different as i've been in NE Ohio my entire life. I would def consider moving back at some point as I really like Cleveland, but now's not that time.

I feel like I would love Denver or Seattle, as in general I prefer cold over heat, and I think the mountainous regions are beautiful. I like being outdoors hiking/running and Those areas would have a lot to offer. But I also feel like trying to move that far out without much work experience under my belt might be tricky... I don't really know how people go about moving that long of a distance without a job in place. So right now i'm looking at Buffalo, Columbus, Rochester, maybe Pittsburgh or Chicago. Also Indy, tho I really known nothing about that city. I'd want to live close to other people my age, and not knowing much about the city I don't really know where that is or where a good area to start looking would be. Chicago is huge so I really wouldn't know where to start
...better off heading out west or to the mountains. Not only would be nuts not to pursue your passion for the outdoors, but those areas are much more growth oriented. With just a little luck you could really do quite well in areas where their more liberal policies about "new comers" and rapid changes fueled by important bio-related business is far more likely to result in success than Chicago's "we don't want nobody that wasn't sent by somebody" are more traditional white collar work world force...

Old 12-03-2014, 09:49 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,412,906 times
What sort of job / biology experience do you have? Why don't you search job listings at major universities in the cities of interest? Could you do a lab tech job or lab manager? Often they start low paying, but there's growth and benefits and down the road you could move into industry.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:06 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Madison, WI would be a good fit. The University of Wisconsin has become a leader in Biotech research, and many offshoot companies have sprung up in Madison over the last couple of decades. And there are lots of lakes, curb and grade-separated bike trails throughout the city, and quick jaunts to state parks. And southwestern Wisconsin (search "driftless area") is truly one of the most beautiful areas in the Midwest, and is a short drive from Madison.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:47 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Madison, WI would be a good fit. The University of Wisconsin has become a leader in Biotech research, and many offshoot companies have sprung up in Madison over the last couple of decades. And there are lots of lakes, curb and grade-separated bike trails throughout the city, and quick jaunts to state parks. And southwestern Wisconsin (search "driftless area") is truly one of the most beautiful areas in the Midwest, and is a short drive from Madison.
While I agree with LK about the natural attractiveness of the Madison area and also that there is a lot of good bio-tech research going on there, the fact is there are not enough jobs for the local University of Wisconsin grads let alone a robust enough market for an inexperienced newly minted degree holder to move there. Similar situations exist in most college towns -- too much cheap labor with a desire to stay close to the bars and social connection of their undergrad experience make them a poor choice for those who are serious about work.

In the areas where there is more growth out west / mountain states the pool of potential jobs that one can land is just a whole lot better for somebody with no experience. It is much easier to "move up" from a low level job running drug screenings for employment (still huge need for that, especially in places like Colorado) to a job with more responsibility.

It really comes down to where will the OP get the most experience most quickly and then be able to leverage that experience for a job that is more than entry level...

Old 12-04-2014, 09:32 AM

Madison does not have a lot of jobs compared to a larger metro. But it also has incredibly low unemployment at 3.6% in the most recent report, so labor demand is still present more than in most cities. Biotech is actually an area where you might be able to break in there. And the behemoth electronic medical records company called Epic is ALWAYS adding staff if you're willing to go that route...

I wouldn't move to Madison without a job lined up first, but it's at least worth your consideration.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:08 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
Chicago isn't great for science grads. Most of the stuff is controlled by staffing agencies and even that you have to have good credentials for. Science jobs are in NJ, Boston, and California with smaller clusters elsewhere such as Raleigh, NC.

Otherwise their are better careers for smart individuals than lousy contract lab jobs. I'd seriously consider getting further education (not in science) and transitioning into something else.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:38 PM

36 posts, read 49,201 times
I have heard from other posters that moving out to Denver or Seattle is a nightmare right now, due to the large influx of people moving there, and that it's expensive, crowded, and very hard to get something that isn't minimum wage. I wouldn't move out there without something lined up regardless. Is it really easier to move up from lower paying jobs over there?

Also I should point out that where I am in life right now, I'm more concerned with getting out of my current situation than I am about landing a top notch job. I really don't know what I want to do the rest of my life, I may go to back to school for a masters or for something entirely different. Possibly psychology but I don't really know. I'm leaving a contract job working in a pigment lab, so it's not like im only looking for biotech research or anything. I actually am using multiple staffing agencies right now. I know temp jobs aren't all that great but I'm unqualifed as a bio major, no internships or experience or anything, which is something I regret. At this point a job is better than no job, so I'm trying to learn up on different areas in the midwest to see where I think i'd like to be. Maybe only for a year or so before I decide to move on again, who knows. I hate planning things because it's impossible to predict what your life situation will be like in the future. Im thinking about Indy, Buffalo, or Pittsburgh at the moment, but applying to jobs everywhere. I have an interview in Columbus lined up so i'll see how that goes.

Madison sounds good but I think it's a bit far. I want to stay within a weekend's drive from Cleveland at the moment.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:57 AM

4,666 posts, read 5,092,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrrs89 View Post

My two cents...

I cannot speak for Seattle, but don't move to Denver. It has been a huge mistake that I don't regret too much because it showed what is really important to me, but I don't want to see somebody as naive as I was semi blindly jump into it. I think you are making a good decision staying in the Midwest.

The thing about Denver is that their tourism and commerce board is very good at luring people out here. The truth is that it has some nice views of the mountains, but it is a cow town that is the flavor of the month, especially for Californians. There is nothing vibrant about this place. It is pretty bland and slow paced. It feels like a massive suburb, not a regional hub of almost 3 million people. That might be something you'd like, but it isn't for me.

The people are tough to describe because it has strong influences from the Great Plains and southern California...yeah it is an odd couple, and odd is how I would describe the people out here. I'd say most of the people are friendly, but they come across as if they aren't all there. It seems like they spend most of their time zoned out. The remaining people are stuck up. All of them lack urgency. It is a lot more laid back and slower than I thought it would be. I don't know if it is the lack of oxygen, the intensity of the sun, the legal weed, or any combination of these three that causes this?

Their tendency to zone out and the slow pace really shows on the road. This is one of the worst places in terms of traffic because they'll ignore yield signs when merging into traffic, but slam on their brakes for the car that is braking 3 car lengths ahead of them, won't go more than 5 mph the speed limit (most cases you'll be lucky to reach the speed limit, and they take forever to merge. I miss an up beat pace and people that aren't zoned out most of the time.

There is a huge demand for apartments and a very low supply, so costs are going through the roof. In the past year rent has gone up 13.1% compared to 6.3% nationally. I expect things to continue to get more expensive at really high rates as long as this supply is low and demand is high, which is should be for some time to come. If you want a house, forget about it. It is now over $300k on average and rising. It is just crazy because houses are more expensive than in Chicagoland and rent is about to surpass the Chicago area with the current shortage and the only apartments they are building are luxury apartments in LoDo which will raise the price everywhere else. Prices will really be jacked up if the Keystone Pipeline gets approved as even more people will flock here since this a big energy city.

While unemployment is low, the job market in Denver is basically: technology, engineering, government, energy, retail, a little bit of finance, and low paying office jobs. The first three pay really well and bump up the average for this area. Job postings have decreased by 52% in the last year, so either a lot of jobs are going underground and or the economy is slowing out here. I think it is the latter because another job site ranked them 32nd out of 50 cities to find a job. Most jobs like to promote from within, but the cost of living is increasing while wages are static and low in most cases, so keeping a decent quality of life is almost impossible unless you get very lucky. If you want to deal with this type of scenario just move to California. It has better weather and more things to do outdoors and in whatever city you live in.

Unless you like enjoying nature with dozens of other people, which ruins the whole point of being in nature for me, you'll have to drive quite far to get some peace and quiet. You'll also have to hit the trail by 6 am at the latest in the summer so you will get down before the storm (and find parking) and either avoid the mountains or risk an avalanche in the winter. I think the outdoor recreation is kind of overrated here. There is no diversity and the lack of peace and quiet really suck.

Overall, it has some nice scenery and that is it. I plan on returning to Chicagoland in the near future. I miss the pace, the people, a decent sized body of water, and the food.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
There is nothing vibrant about this place. It is pretty bland and slow paced. It feels like a massive suburb, not a regional hub of almost 3 million people. That might be something you'd like, but it isn't for me.
This is also how I felt about Denver when I was last there a few years ago. It is perhaps the most overrated metro area in the country. I liked Boulder, though. Along with everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs