Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2006, 05:51 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,035,479 times

Advertisements

Any opinions on this school? I think Lake Forest might be within an hour of Chicago..does that sound right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2006, 04:48 AM

4 posts, read 33,105 times
It gets good reults in the state tests and I've heard it's very good. I have no idea about the commute but I know that houses in Lake Forest are very expensive.

Old 11-03-2006, 07:42 AM

331 posts, read 1,544,494 times
The types of rich folks who live in Lake Forest make sure that their children get the best of everything, education definitely included. The school is very solid. But be prepared to pay half a million or more for your kids to go there.

Old 12-16-2006, 04:55 AM

65 posts, read 294,904 times
Pro athletes and other wealthy people live there. Watch the movie "Risky Business" to get a visual.

Old 12-16-2006, 06:49 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,415,819 times
Generally speaking it is one of the priciest suburbs in the region. There are some semi affordable ranch style houses available in areas near Lake Forest High School and also Lake Forest College. However, an affordable (small) house in LF is probably going to run you a minimum of $350 - $400K I'm guessing, while that same house might only be like $200 - $250K in some other suburb like Mundelein just to give you a comparison. It all depends, check out the real estate websites, check out Zillow.com, and check out Trulia.com, and of course City-data.com for more information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoop89 View Post
Pro athletes and other wealthy people live there. Watch the movie "Risky Business" to get a visual.

Old 12-16-2006, 06:51 PM

Oh yeah and I almost forgot. If you get a house in Knollwood (unincorporated Lake Bluff) near Waukegan Road / Rte 43, your kids can attend Lake Forest High School. And Knollwood is much cheaper than Lake Forest and east Lake Bluff. It is even cheaper than many parts of Libertyville (and Green Oaks) as well.

Old 12-16-2006, 07:01 PM

The school generally speaking does rank quite well. But at times it is overshadowed in rankings somewhat by Libertyville HS. And without a doubt Stevenson HS down in Lincolnshire is definitely the most cut-throat public HS in Lake County. In fact, for whatever reason Lake Forest HS, though a cosmetically appealing HS and a very very good HS does not get ranked as high as Stevenson HS in Lincolnshire and New Trier HS down in Winnetka (suburban Cook County, but also in the North Shore). It's a smaller school, a bit less cut-throat, but it has to be good despite this. The other public schools I mentioned are some of the best in the country. You can attend Lake Forest HS, and easily end up at an Ivy League school if you can dominate in the classroom. Some of the parents in the area probably don't expect much less of their kids just to give you an idea of the community. But this can be said about much of the North Shore. The opportunities are there if you attend these schools, so go out and seize it. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
Any opinions on this school? I think Lake Forest might be within an hour of Chicago..does that sound right?

Old 12-17-2006, 02:31 PM

20 posts, read 84,220 times
Lake Forest HS is one of the best academic high schools in the chicagoland area. The school has an enrollment of about 1700-1800 so im sure class sizes arent too big. Athletics are also really good considering that LFHS is the smallest school in their division. Also the building tends to stand out. The school, however, lacks diversity.

I suggest you look at other renown schools in the area such as Stevenson, Libertyville (dont be discouraged by the building), Glenbrook North/South, or New Trier
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs