U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2014, 07:20 AM

11,972 posts, read 26,853,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
True. But with $200k to spend, it'd be hard to do better. Another place to look would be the portion of southern Glendale Heights that feeds into Glen Ellyn SD 41 and Glenbard West. IMO those schools are more desirable, but I personally don't like the overall feel of the area as much as the south Wheaton/Glen Ellyn CCSD 89 area at Blanchard and 22nd.
As much as I like D41, I would pick that part of Wheaton. The portion of Glendale Heights that feeds in to D41 is a little rough--or at least the apartment buildings off of Bloomingdale Road are. It's not shootings in broad daylight or anything like that, but there will be police calls, barking pitbulls, people yelling and making noise, and other quality of life issues.

I've never heard of any trouble in that area of Wheaton along Blanchard, and when I drive through I only see people walking their dogs and going about their lives. But the rows and rows of townhouses and condos are pretty bland looking and sort of dated. I think they are mainly filled with older people, young couples staring out, and recent immigrants with jobs? Aren't most of those building condos?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 07:35 AM

31 posts, read 33,179 times
Thanks for such insightful posts guys.

Can you give me some examples of properties that $200k would buy, in the areas of south Wheaton/Glen Ellyn CCSD 89 area at Blanchard and 22nd?

I'd like to stay away from Glendale Heights as much as possible lol.

Im also now open to Oak Brook,Downers Grove, Glen Ellyn, Wheaton and Elmhurst, as long as they fit our budget.

How about Lombard? Is that a nice area?

Thanks

Old 12-09-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous-nit View Post
How about Lombard? Is that a nice area?
Most of Lombard is safe and affordable. But the school performance isn't always strong. Some of the elementary schools are better than others, and then Glenbard East High School is just "so-so".

If you're going to look at Glenbard District 87 schools, Glenbard South and Glenbard West are the better schools in the bunch. North and East are not at the same level.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Most of Lombard is safe and affordable. But the school performance isn't always strong. Some of the elementary schools are better than others, and then Glenbard East High School is just "so-so".

If you're going to look at Glenbard District 87 schools, Glenbard South and Glenbard West are the better schools in the bunch. North and East are not at the same level.
Thanks

Can you point to me some properties, that might be in our budget range?

Places as per the recommendations here:

1) Areas of south Wheaton/Glen Ellyn CCSD 89 area at Blanchard and 22nd
2) Oak Brook,Downers Grove, Glen Ellyn, Wheaton and Elmhurst
3) Areas that server Glenbard South and Glenbard West schools

We can go upto $215k, if needed.

Thanks alot.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:57 AM

323 posts, read 328,767 times
For a $200k townhome in Naperville, look at the area around 87th at Washington, or around Aurora and Rt. 59. I believe that there are some around 95th and Book. These are not ideal commuting distance to Elmhurst, but not too bad. You could probably do as well in Downers Grove or Wheaton, but I don't know these areas as well. With Lisle and Woodridge (and part of Downers Grove) you will be dealing with average schools, and worse than that in Bolingbrook.

As far as unsafe areas in Naperville, they are pretty few and and between. I know that the area on the south side of Bailey between Washington and Naper has had some issues, and has some section 8 housing, but its really only 1 or 2 complexes and it doesn't bleed out into the general area; I live about a mile away. I have heard that the area on River Road near the Metra tracks,and a stretch of Fairway drive are sketchy, but this is not firsthand. Regarding the Bailey area, there are some nice townhouses in your price range near Baliey @ Naper.

As far as commute goes, it really is up to the individual. A lot of people seem to think that Naperville south of 75th is traffic hell, but I don't see it (that would be Route 59 and the nearby areas). Since you don't seem to have a need to take Metra to commute, you can probably get away with locating comparatively far from a station, which should help.

I'd be glad to answer any questions that you have anout Naperville; I have lived in 2 differnt homes there for about 8 years now.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diws View Post
For a $200k townhome in Naperville, look at the area around 87th at Washington, or around Aurora and Rt. 59. I believe that there are some around 95th and Book. These are not ideal commuting distance to Elmhurst, but not too bad. You could probably do as well in Downers Grove or Wheaton, but I don't know these areas as well. With Lisle and Woodridge (and part of Downers Grove) you will be dealing with average schools, and worse than that in Bolingbrook.

As far as unsafe areas in Naperville, they are pretty few and and between. I know that the area on the south side of Bailey between Washington and Naper has had some issues, and has some section 8 housing, but its really only 1 or 2 complexes and it doesn't bleed out into the general area; I live about a mile away. I have heard that the area on River Road near the Metra tracks,and a stretch of Fairway drive are sketchy, but this is not firsthand. Regarding the Bailey area, there are some nice townhouses in your price range near Baliey @ Naper.

As far as commute goes, it really is up to the individual. A lot of people seem to think that Naperville south of 75th is traffic hell, but I don't see it (that would be Route 59 and the nearby areas). Since you don't seem to have a need to take Metra to commute, you can probably get away with locating comparatively far from a station, which should help.

I'd be glad to answer any questions that you have anout Naperville; I have lived in 2 differnt homes there for about 8 years now.
Thanks alot.

I am new here, and if you dont mind, would you please try to highlight the areas on a map, that you are referring to as good areas, in Naperville?

Old 12-09-2014, 11:16 AM

1,231 posts, read 1,324,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
Naperville is not more expensive than Oak Brook. In fact, if comparing 4-bed single family home prices, Naperville is on average more affordable than Downers Grove, Glen Ellyn, Wheaton and Elmhurst.
My bad Oak Brook is more expensive than Naperville, but Naperville is definitely not cheaper than Downers Grove, Glen Ellyn, Wheaton, and Elmhurst.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:34 AM

28,384 posts, read 67,936,355 times
Default Wide variation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
My bad Oak Brook is more expensive than Naperville, but Naperville is definitely not cheaper than Downers Grove, Glen Ellyn, Wheaton, and Elmhurst.
The Village of Oak Brook is among the priciest towns in the whole region but there are a handful of condos and townhomes that will come up under $200k, mostly these are in unincorporated Oak Brook and do not have access to the superlative schools / parks / libraries / services of Oak Brook.

Of course adjacent Oakbrook Terrace will sometimes come up when searching for Oak Brook, the quality of schools (as well as other services and even housing...) is significantly different.

The funny thing too is that Naperville, with over 140,000 residents, and covering a HUGE area that spans parts of THREE counties also has tremendous variation internally in terms of desirability of schools / access to the desirable amenities nearest its core -- the price variation ranges from places well over $1M nearest these desirable things to probably a solid 40% discount for homes of similar size / quality on the fringes...

In contrast smaller towns (like Glen Ellyn) exhibit some fall off in the various parts of town based somewhat on schools attendance area / access to core amenities, but overall are not as deeply discounted on the fringes.

Generally the smaller the physical area the more tightly priced all homes in such a town will be, and larger towns (like Wheaton & Elmhurst) have some rather affordable options nearer their fringes...

Old 12-09-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
Are you sure about that? The average single-family detached house costs $442,033 in Naperville in 2011. The average in Glen Ellyn was $542,517. Wheaton was $450,909. Elmhurst was $475,825. Downers Grove, however, was a little bit lower than Naperville at $419,148.

And when you take in to account that the average Naperville house is a lot larger than the average houses in those other towns, then you realize that Naperville is quite a bit more affordable per square foot.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:27 PM

323 posts, read 328,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous-nit View Post
Thanks alot.

I am new here, and if you dont mind, would you please try to highlight the areas on a map, that you are referring to as good areas, in Naperville?
Virtually all of Naperville is a good area. I mentioned a couple of exceptions. Check out this thread for more discussion on Naperville.. it is an older thread but still accurate:

North Naperville vs South Naperville

Chet Everett here is a really good resource and has a lot of local knowledge; search his posting history and you will find some good info on Naperville and the area.

Broadly speaking, north Naperville (Around Ogden and northwards ) is older, and will not have many townhouse options except around Royal St George and the far northwest (which is congested IMO), central Naperville is older and pricey but has the 5th Avenue train station and one of the best suburban downtowns in Chicagoland, Southeast / central Naperville is mostly single family homes but with a couple of pockets of townhomes and is very nice overall (I live in this area), near west and southwest Naperville is newer with some good options but is starting to get further out from your workplaces, and far southwest Naperville is really its own entity and is closer to Plainfield than Downers Grove.

Here are a couple of listings that would seem to fit your criteria

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Naperville.../home/14200044

I actually used to live nearby. These particular townhomes are a good value.

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Naperville.../home/18037670

These are unfortunately uncomfortably close to the Bailey mini-ghetto. You would need to drive around and do some due diligence, but they may be ok

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Naperville.../home/18068804
https://www.redfin.com/IL/Naperville.../home/18068925

a bit high traffic and dense for my taste, but convenient area

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Naperville.../home/23345812

there are a lot of newer townhomes in this area, but its starting to get far from the main highways

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Downers-Gr.../home/18013805

IN downers Grove, there are a lot of townhouses in this area. I believe that the Downers Grove South schools are not as desirable, but perhaps someone on here can give more detail here

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Wheaton/15.../home/17130142

Wheaton is a nice town and often underrated. I am not sure that they have many newer townhomes, though.

Last edited by Diws; 12-09-2014 at 12:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs