U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 09:22 AM
wjj

621 posts, read 661,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I have a long key that I use to turn on the gas. So I open the damper first, hold the lighter in the correct spot, then turn on the gas, and poof--we have a fire. Then I turn off the gas to extinguish the flame when I'm done.
Ours is the same way. It was wood burning with a gas starter that we easily converted to gas logs about 20 years ago. I would never go back to wood burning. Way too much hassle and mess. We bought a good set of logs along with the "wool" that glows like embers and it still looks great after 20 years. We use it every day in the winter. So much easier to just turn the key and on it goes, and off it goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 12:19 PM

11,972 posts, read 26,868,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjj View Post
Ours is the same way. It was wood burning with a gas starter that we easily converted to gas logs about 20 years ago. I would never go back to wood burning. Way too much hassle and mess. We bought a good set of logs along with the "wool" that glows like embers and it still looks great after 20 years. We use it every day in the winter. So much easier to just turn the key and on it goes, and off it goes.
We have that wooly stuff too, along with some other bits that glow and spark... I wondered how long it would last.

We like it. It's easy and mess free, yet looks a lot like real wood burning. One of our neighbors liked it so much that they had the exact same system installed.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:20 PM

14,271 posts, read 15,253,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer79 View Post
I think you're confusing wood burning and gas fireplaces with vented and unvented fireplaces. I don't think the gas smell is often a problem, but rather the unvented fireplace you describe. These are called ventless or vent free, and basically they do not vent the combustion odors and byproducts to the outside. This will often lead to sickness and headaches. They are not recommended by most fireplace stores or installers. The advantage is that they can be placed almost anywhere due to the fact that there is no chimney or vent.

Do a google search of vent free gas fireplace and numerous articles will pop up.
I think you're right, since I just moved into another home in the same community and don't smell anything offensive now. Still, I prefer the look of natural wood burning.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:16 PM

2 posts, read 851 times
I have a quick question for the lookout kid - I realize it has been a while, but hopefully you will answer . Given that you have the invoice for your nice natural looking fireplace, can you share who did the work? I am looking for someone right now.

Thank you!

Old 04-28-2015, 03:38 PM

11,972 posts, read 26,868,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagogirl71 View Post
I have a quick question for the lookout kid - I realize it has been a while, but hopefully you will answer . Given that you have the invoice for your nice natural looking fireplace, can you share who did the work? I am looking for someone right now.

Thank you!
I'll try to remember to dig it up and send you the vendor name. I'll PM you.

If I happen to forget (I'm not at home right now), feel free to PM me a reminder!

Old 04-28-2015, 08:34 PM

934 posts, read 1,942,991 times
We used Lindemann Chimney Service for our conversion from wood burning to gas. They put in a chimney liner for us when we bought our house in 1994, did cleanings over the years, and then we had them convert it to gas in 2004. We also have very realistic looking logs and "embers" underneath. Though I miss the smell of a wood burning fire, I do love the convenience of a gas fireplace.

I highly recommend Lindemann. I'm not sure what areas of Chicago they serve though.

I also cant recall the cost. I think it was around $1,000 but I'm not certain of that at all.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:36 PM

638 posts, read 455,663 times
I bought a gas log kit at Home Depot, or maybe it was Lowe's, in 2004 and did the installation myself. There was a VHS on how to do the installation, so I had to go into the garage and find a VHS.

It was already plumbed for gas so the installation was easy. The fake embers and wooly stuff made it look nice, and the flame was constant as soon as we turned it on. The best thing was no soot backed up into our house from that point forward.

We had had the chimney swept every few years before. We were in Southern California at the time, so we didn't have fires as often, nor for as much of the year.

Old 05-08-2015, 03:23 PM

2 posts, read 851 times
Hi guys. We had Lindeman come out today and recommend Valor insertable vented gas fireplace, mainly because our chimney is too narrow for any liner. Apparently our fireplace was designed for coals over 100 years ago, and not easily converted for today's fires. Any opinion about those fireplaces? They are about $7k to install, but supposedly are very heat efficient.... So much money though... Any input is appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or