Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 09:19 AM

11,973 posts, read 31,635,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
I totally agree. You're better off in Indiana. There are a lot of nice towns close to the south suburbs that you could live in without dealing with ridiculous Illinois property taxes.
As things stand today, I still believe the SW suburbs are a more desirable place to live than NW Indiana. And I have deep roots in NW Indiana and really want it to do well. But the SW suburbs are better positioned for commutes to job centers in west/SW burbs or along I-88, retail, and offer more viable neighborhood options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 09:23 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,956,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Seriously dude, you need to just give up on this forum. You might think that telling everyone to avoid Illinois is a helpful stance to take, but I think it makes a lot more sense to be up front about the potential costs and let people evaluate their own situations. And even if we are truly in a "sky is falling" situation in Illinois as you and some others believe, I still believe we are in a better position than much of Michigan and other parts of the Midwest.

Kimkim6887: Property taxes are high in Illinois, and they may be going up depending on how our government deals with the pension crisis. I personally think we are more likely to see other state-wide taxes jump, and believe that income tax increases are the most likely outcome. But be aware that Illinois has become a "high tax state" particularly over the last ten years (we used to be in the middle of the pack), and it seems unlikely that this will improve. It could be a significant drain on the economy--which as it stands now is still in much better shape than the Detroit region's economy.
I agree with LK. There are costs to living in Illinois, but there are benefits, too. My entire family is here and they don't live in an area convenient to Indiana, so I am not going to rush out and move to NWI.

That said, in the OP's case, NWI may be worth looking into since it would put her close to family. I'm not clear on whether the OP is going to be looking for a job here or has one lined up or what. Commuting to work could make NWI a nightmare (or not depending where work is), but it may not even be an issue for the OP. Hopefully the OP can clarify. If a job isn't an issue, then maybe look at NWI.

If you want to stay in Illinois I think Frankfort is worth considering. I'd also look at the Palos suburbs mentioned.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:58 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,064,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimkim6887 View Post
I am not familiar at all with the communities in Indiana. Any suggestions? Thanks so much!
I would recommend looking at Schererville, Dyer, or Munster

Old 12-29-2014, 01:04 PM

172 posts, read 313,804 times
Quote:
As things stand today, I still believe the SW suburbs are a more desirable place to live than NW Indiana. And I have deep roots in NW Indiana and really want it to do well. But the SW suburbs are better positioned for commutes to job centers in west/SW burbs or along I-88, retail, and offer more viable neighborhood options.
agree with this.

Im from NWI. I still work in NWI. I personally find it just depressing aesthetically compared to all the IL suburbs with the exception of some south suburbs.

I dont think there is any part of NWI that I can honestly say I find nicer aesthetically, amenity wise, or accessibility wise than SW burbs.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:25 PM

17 posts, read 18,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I agree with LK. There are costs to living in Illinois, but there are benefits, too. My entire family is here and they don't live in an area convenient to Indiana, so I am not going to rush out and move to NWI.

That said, in the OP's case, NWI may be worth looking into since it would put her close to family. I'm not clear on whether the OP is going to be looking for a job here or has one lined up or what. Commuting to work could make NWI a nightmare (or not depending where work is), but it may not even be an issue for the OP. Hopefully the OP can clarify. If a job isn't an issue, then maybe look at NWI.

If you want to stay in Illinois I think Frankfort is worth considering. I'd also look at the Palos suburbs mentioned.
I will be retired at the point that I consider moving back and probably just working part-time for pocket change, so commuting is not an issue. Thanks so much for all the input that I have received so far. I grew up in Illinois and lived there a chunk of my adult life, but we always lived in the South Suburbs. It has been 14 years since I left, and I do not like what I see out South when I come home to visit. I live in Metro Detroit and I can tell you that there is no comparison between the South Suburbs and where I live. I am fortunate to live in a thriving community that is reasonably diverse and affluent. I would love to find something similar in Illinois, but it sounds tough. Property and Sales Taxes are very reasonable here (6,500 for a $450,000 house and 6% sales), so it sounds like a lot of my fixed income would be eaten up with a huge tax burden. Not sure I am good with that. There is a lot to consider. Thanks again!

Old 12-29-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimkim6887 View Post
I will be retired at the point that I consider moving back and probably just working part-time for pocket change, so commuting is not an issue. Thanks so much for all the input that I have received so far. I grew up in Illinois and lived there a chunk of my adult life, but we always lived in the South Suburbs. It has been 14 years since I left, and I do not like what I see out South when I come home to visit. I live in Metro Detroit and I can tell you that there is no comparison between the South Suburbs and where I live. I am fortunate to live in a thriving community that is reasonably diverse and affluent. I would love to find something similar in Illinois, but it sounds tough. Property and Sales Taxes are very reasonable here (6,500 for a $450,000 house and 6% sales), so it sounds like a lot of my fixed income would be eaten up with a huge tax burden. Not sure I am good with that. There is a lot to consider. Thanks again!
On the other hand, Pensions and Social Security payments are not taxed in Illinois. You might pay a couple grand more in taxes, or even less in some areas. $6,500 for a $450,000 house is achievable in some suburbs. You might consider Downers Grove.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:10 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,336,680 times
I'll also recommend NW Indiana. If my job was within commuting distance of NWI (I work in Lombard/Downers Grove) I would live their now. As it is, I refuse to buy a house in Illinois and end up stuck with it and with a dysfunctional government of cerebrally deficient criminals jacking property taxes to the point where people are being bankrupted. Heck some areas the effective rate is up to 3% or more of the home's real market value per year though the median is a little over 2% right now I believe.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:37 PM

The irony of this is that property taxes are perhaps the easiest to control locally, and have almost nothing to do with the state government. It's the one type of tax you really can't blame on Springfield, other than a lack of state school funding.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:31 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,957,533 times
Default Well...

The
Quote:
The irony of this is that property taxes are perhaps the easiest to control locally, and have almost nothing to do with the state government. It's the one type of tax you really can't blame on Springfield, other than a lack of state school funding.
It is not just the lack of state funding.

There have been a long history of Springfield polticians increasing the mandates upon schools and doing nothing to fund these things.

Even worse the bizarrely disjointed policies of "rewarding" connected companies with tax credits has warped the values of local property wealth. Abuses in TIF districts have been a criminal disgrace -- why tackle some heinous toxic lakefront industrial site if you can plop down a Starbucks, Portillos, Sport Authority etc is affluent DuPage Co?

The situation is really untenable --- school districts like Waukegan get a raw deal. They are forced to set a levy that is something 7.92/thousand while an affluent high school district that covers Darien, Burr Ridge,Willowbrook and Hinsdale is at 2.35/thousand. The guy stuck with a $300k higher end house in Waukegan is paying TRIPLE what somebody with a nice little house $300k in Darien has to fork over AND those DuPage Co kids are also getting access to better classes / fewer remedial kids... ($300k vacant lots are pretty rare inside Hinsdale itself, and that is a sub argument...)

There is a good argument to be made that much of the commercial / office space / retail should be pooled regionally but so much damage has happened and so many folks would feel betrayed that I am not sure logic will ever be listened too...

Old 12-29-2014, 05:43 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,336,680 times
It is also the Fed up over-redundant nature of government in Illinois. 800+ school districts each with their own overpaid administrators, thousands of overlapping taxing bodies. The only way to salvage this state would be a complete restructuring from the ground up but since that is too logical it will never happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs