Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 12:37 PM

251 posts, read 257,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allsunny View Post
No just plain association fees they may not even have a pool but most homes have association and fees attached to that. Every place has maintenance that's is silly to think that there are no maintenance homes somewhere. My point is to inform OP about things specific to the area so they can do they own research and make informed decision so I'm not sure how it is pointless to include things I mentioned in account ... not really sure whats your point is..... but good luck OP hope whatever you decide you'll be happy there.
You said that the property taxes plus maintenance or fees in a place like AZ would equal the cost of property taxes in Chicago. I'm simply pointing out that in Chicago, you'll probably spend the same amount (or more) on maintenance, and your property taxes in Chicago could be double or triple the taxes you'd pay in other states. And the price of your house in Chicago is also higher. So the whole package of housing cost in Chicago is going to be a lot higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 12:59 PM

324 posts, read 330,586 times
I live here (Chicago) not sure why explain to me how things are here....I m sharing my experience of living in both places and my take on it. Don't forget that you don't make in az what you make here calculate that too. Your statements are hypothesis, not really sure why try to disprove what I am saying as if you have experienced both.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
I live here (Chicago) not sure why explain to me how things are here....I m sharing my experience of living in both places and my take on it. Don't forget that you don't make in az what you make here calculate that too. Your statements are hypothesis, not really sure why try to disprove what I am saying as if you have experienced both.
It depends on your job. For certain industries, salaries in Chicago are similar to salaries in the southern boom towns. And if you work for a large national company, you can sometimes be transferred and keep the same salary.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:33 PM

324 posts, read 330,586 times
Ok now lets repeat everything that you just read in "would you still live in Chicago" thread and at this point I believe we are littering in this thread. Have a nice day.

Old 01-15-2015, 03:18 PM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,361,842 times
Quote:
No just plain association fees they may not even have a pool but most homes have association and fees attached to that. Every place has maintenance that's is silly to think that there are no maintenance homes somewhere. My point is to inform OP about things specific to the area so they can do they own research and make informed decision so I'm not sure how it is pointless to include things I mentioned in account ... not really sure whats your point is..... but good luck OP hope whatever you decide you'll be happy there.
I agree that one should look at everything. There are costs down south that we do not have up here. Our place in South Fort Myers is in a gated community. Our HOA fee is $1,190/year. Maintenance on our pool and spa is $840/year. Insurance is higher in FL. But my RE taxes are $9,000 lower in FL - and waste and recycling are included; something I have to pay for separately in IL. Plus no state income tax. Between really high real estate taxes and income taxes in Illinois that I do not have to pay in FL, there is just no way the additional costs I have down there come even remotely close to offsetting all of the tax dollars I save.

But your point is well taken. The savings may not as big as you think. But they are still substantial.

Old 01-15-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjj View Post
I agree that one should look at everything. There are costs down south that we do not have up here. Our place in South Fort Myers is in a gated community. Our HOA fee is $1,190/year. Maintenance on our pool and spa is $840/year. Insurance is higher in FL. But my RE taxes are $9,000 lower in FL - and waste and recycling are included; something I have to pay for separately in IL. Plus no state income tax. Between really high real estate taxes and income taxes in Illinois that I do not have to pay in FL, there is just no way the additional costs I have down there come even remotely close to offsetting all of the tax dollars I save.

But your point is well taken. The savings may not as big as you think. But they are still substantial.
Keep in mind though that paying a fee to be in a gated community and paying maintenance on a pool and spa are examples of you paying for additional amenities that you wouldn't have elsewhere. It's possible to move south but choose not to live in a gated community, or choose not to have a personal pool and spa. If you live in Chicago you can't choose not to pay the property taxes.

Old 01-15-2015, 04:05 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helena101 View Post
If you live in Chicago you can't choose not to pay the property taxes.
You could try, but it wouldn't end well.

COL is definitely lower in much of the south. Maybe ALL of the south. Higher in California, the northeast, and Washington D.C. I think the amenities that Chicago offers are more in line with the latter.

Old 01-15-2015, 04:27 PM

8 posts, read 16,422 times
Default What am I doing wrong?

I am trying to post/answer/reply to some of you that replied to my original post and I can't post!
Error says my "message is too short and to add at least 1 characters". Nothing lets me post. Help!

Old 01-15-2015, 04:35 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,341,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_3377 View Post
I am trying to post/answer/reply to some of you that replied to my original post and I can't post!
Error says my "message is too short and to add at least 1 characters". Nothing lets me post. Help!
Click "Quote" in the bottom right corner of the post you want to respond to, and make sure you type your response after the [/quote]

Old 01-15-2015, 04:52 PM

8 posts, read 16,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
After spending summers in AZ or FL, you will NEVER complain about IL's summers again. Mark my words. Just trust me.

The way I see it, Chicago has few days throughout the year that are really nice days (no cold/snow, no rain, no big wind, not cloudy, not very hot/humid, not icy, etc). Basically most of the year has a couple of these at all times.

If you cant handle IL's few days of humidity, how could you possibly expect to handle Florida? Not only is it MORE humid than IL, but its like that for the majority of the year. And you say you want someplace with a Spring and Fall? Then completely take out FL, AZ, and CA. Youre confusing me.

We're not looking for spring or fall. We just mentioned there's not too much of either in Chicago because it mostly goes from winter to summer. Cold until May, then 3-4 months summer and cold till next May again.

I live in Scottsdale and Ill make this as simple as I can for you. I want you to think of a 60 degree day, ok? Can you picture that? Nice, crisp air, almost chilly, right? OK. Now, picture a 90 degree day. Think of the oppressive heat, the sweat, the need to lurch towards the nearest air conditioned building. Quite a difference between 60 and 90, right? Thats a HUGE difference.

Now, picture a 90 degree day, ok? Feel that nasty heat? Now, add 20-30 degrees ON TOP of that nasty 90, and that might give you an idea of what it feels like here in summer in AZ. Can you comprehend that? Oh, and that "dry heat" only really applies to May, June, and very late September. The core of summer here (June and July), is hot AND humid. I bet they dont tell you that in the tourist brochures, do they? Think of 105 degrees coupled with 50-60% humidity. Its nasty. Then come late September the humidity goes away, but the heat is still there. Same goes for October.

Winters here? Theyre more mild than Chicago, thats for sure. Daytime temps can range from 45-75 degrees, nights are cold. Its common to see frost here several nights in winter. Betcha didnt expect that, did ya? You were thinking of swimming in January, laughing at your friends back in Chicago while they shoveled snow, right? Ive heard that waaaaaaaaaaaaay too many times. Its not like that. Most likely youll be sitting in your car, waiting for your defroster to get the ice off the window, staring at your breath, thinking to yourself "it gets downright cold here in winter!" Days are mild, nights are cold. Much colder than you think. Then after a few years of living here, those 50 degree days start to feel like teens in Chicago. Youll shiver, youll bundle up, youll call the Canadian snowbirds "crazy" for walking around in shorts. IT WILL FEEL COLD.

If you have kids, their summer breaks consist of blistering heat, then heat and humidity, then its back to school.

No kids. I made sure not to forget to mention that in my OP.

Your yard will most likely consist of spiky plants and rocks, possibly littered with scorpions and various other critters. Some areas are infested, others arent. You REALLY have to do your research before moving here.

You will miss out on food, culture, public transporation, and all the vast amenities that Chicago provides. You will probably even miss be able to buy different style/color homes, too. Its something you probably take for granted right now, but will regret later. Ive talked to thousands of people here that would agree with me.

Now, with all that being said... If you want a milder winter, loaded with sunshine (that also becomes a curse), then I would recommend Phoenix.
The more nice months out of 12, the better. Both FL and AZ come with their cons but they beat Chicago weather IMO. Can I get any witnesses for the last winter we had here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs