U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2015, 11:10 AM

251 posts, read 167,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
Very true. Quite a bit of my family lives in Florida and they said that the schools aren't good out there and would not live there with kids. All of my family that lives out there moved there after their kids graduated high school. They all love the weather though except for in the summer when it can get humid.
I don't think it makes sense to rely on anecdotes from friends when determining school quality. You wouldn't push your child to attend a particular college based on what you heard from a few friends about it. US News ranks every high school in the country. They first take the best ones from each state and then compare them across states by looking at things like test scores and percentage of graduates who go on to attend college. These are the things that matter, not what a few friends said about the high school their kids went to in Miami.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 02:11 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,322,982 times
Using multiple sources is the only way to determine how schools are, so my family who actually lives in Tampa and Miami have told me, but if they were my only sources, then that wouldn't be enough. Looking at how a state educates its students and how it's funded are good sources. Hearing my relative's experiences is a reassurance.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:59 PM

251 posts, read 167,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
Using multiple sources is the only way to determine how schools are, so my family who actually lives in Tampa and Miami have told me, but if they were my only sources, then that wouldn't be enough. Looking at how a state educates its students and how it's funded are good sources. Hearing my relative's experiences is a reassurance.
So hearing personal anecdotes about a couple of schools is more important than a national publication that looks at AP scores, SAT scores, and percentage of students who go to college? I don't care what a couple of people think about the one school their kid goes to. That doesn't tell me anything about all the schools in that city, or if there are any good schools in that city. US News actually compares all the high schools in the country using objective measures of student achievement.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:23 PM
wjj

621 posts, read 659,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helena101 View Post
So hearing personal anecdotes about a couple of schools is more important than a national publication that looks at AP scores, SAT scores, and percentage of students who go to college? I don't care what a couple of people think about the one school their kid goes to. That doesn't tell me anything about all the schools in that city, or if there are any good schools in that city. US News actually compares all the high schools in the country using objective measures of student achievement.
More important, no. But important none the less, yes. The US News rankings are not reliable. And they are definitely not objective. Just take a look at the suburban Chicago High School rankings and you will see numerous anomolies. So many as to call into question the methodology itself. Rely on US News alone at your own risk. You could be making a very serious and expensive mistake. It is nothing more than one source among many. Using any one source is not sufficient as they are all skewed one way or another. You need to look at many and then decide. You will be surprised how different they are. And yes, parents actual experiences are important too.

Let the fireworks begin!!!

Old 01-26-2015, 11:57 PM

545 posts, read 1,078,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helena101 View Post
I'm definitely not saying that Chicago schools are bad as a whole. My points were that 1) the best Chicago school districts are for the most part in areas that are very difficult to afford for the typical middle class family, 2) most people don't care how the whole city or the whole state does, all they care about is the specific school their child attends and there are excellent schools in every large metro area (with students scoring highly on AP and SAT tests, per the US news rankings), and 3) Chicago schools have a higher chance of decline than schools in a number of other areas, due to the awful budget situation coupled with the fact that Chicago & IL have been shrinking in population.
Bingo. Having lived and worked in Lake County before moving to AZ, I know that there are many excellent school districts in the area (ie: Deerfield, Highland Park, Stevenson, and Libertyville). But being able to afford to live in one of those communities comfortably with a middle class income, which we are, is an entirely different story. When we finally realized that we wouldn't be able to do that without making very significant sacrifices, or that we'd have to choose a less expensive area with average schools but still high property taxes (ie: Gurnee or Grayslake) and have potential problems selling down the road, the choice to move out was made easier.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:45 AM

135 posts, read 250,765 times
Did you think about looking at the area around Raleigh, NC? There are alot of jobs there for healthcare professionals, cost of living is lower, the weather is gorgeous in spring and fall, not too bad in summer and winter is short and mild. I liked living there. The people were a bit different from what I was used to: polite but not warm or overly welcoming to "yankees". However, there are quite a few transplants in that area as well, so its not all cool southern politeness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or