U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 02:35 PM

836 posts, read 638,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinron View Post
We don't have any children, but if we did, they would go to Lincoln Elementary and Bryan Middle School. Sorry that I can't offer any personal experiences with the schools, but for the taxes we pay and the salaries of the teachers, I would hope they'd be excellent! I'm not great with directions, but the larger streets that border our neighborhood are Spring, Vallette, York, and Madison. We're a block and a half from Pioneer Park. We really like this neighborhood in general. Many friendly families, overall people take pride in their homes, etc. We lived in "College View" (behind York High School, and west of Elmhurst College and Wilder Park) for a few years, too, and that was also a great neighborhood. The taxes in College View seem to be higher, though, than our current area.
Those are the two neighborhoods we really like. Seems like a lot of young families in both. In fact, back when we were first looking for a house some years ago we put in a bid for an updated ranch home on McKinley just west of Spring but were outbid. That was a really nice home and for a reasonable price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 12:06 PM

172 posts, read 229,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I can't deny that taxes are higher than desired. We are not as high as Oak Park or Riverside (and not anywhere NEAR as high as Flossmoor or Frankfort), but definitely higher than Downers Grove. In my price range we were finding the taxes comparable to Naperville and La Grange, but a couple thousand higher than Western Springs or Hinsdale. But closer to $800k you might have a larger discrepency--since that's a higher-end house in this area than in more expensive Hinsdale.

Why is Glen Ellyn a bit higher these days? Back in 2001 the D41 school board passed a "phased in" tax increase through a referendum that many in the community felt "duped" by, and the result was multiple years of tax increases higher than the cap rate. The good news is that the school district is flush with cash and in good standing financially, and will be for a long time. However, the community is almost in revolt and is highly unlikely to pass any further tax-increase referendae for a while. So while we have higher taxes now than some surrounding communities, this may not be the case 10 years down the road.
Frankfort is not completely out of control.

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Frankfort/.../home/23292547

charming home near downtown, taxes under 7K

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Frankfort/.../home/23267521
another historic charming home in a walkable part of town

$5100 in prop tax

Old 02-02-2015, 12:28 PM

836 posts, read 638,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drss01 View Post
Frankfort is not completely out of control.

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Frankfort/.../home/23292547

charming home near downtown, taxes under 7K

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Frankfort/.../home/23267521
another historic charming home in a walkable part of town

$5100 in prop tax
Yikes...the first one looks like it was built in 1908, not 2008, and the second one needs a lot of updating.

I think the point being made is that you could probably find 3 homes with "out of control" taxes for every one home with reasonable taxes in Frankfort. Check out the link below. $19.3k in property taxes for a $500k home, wow!

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Frankfort/.../home/23313253

Either way, Frankfort is not even an option for us due to its far south location. I'm sure it works for some folks but we certainly aren't one of them.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:24 PM

172 posts, read 229,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
Yikes...the first one looks like it was built in 1908, not 2008, and the second one needs a lot of updating.

I think the point being made is that you could probably find 3 homes with "out of control" taxes for every one home with reasonable taxes in Frankfort. Check out the link below. $19.3k in property taxes for a $500k home, wow!

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Frankfort/.../home/23313253

Either way, Frankfort is not even an option for us due to its far south location. I'm sure it works for some folks but we certainly aren't one of them.
I was responding to LK, im not suggesting you move to Frankfort.

The houses I linked to is what people on this forum seem to like; this "charming" old school boxy lookin stuff near old downtowns, me personally im a McMansion guy. I can post up dozens of properties of very nice home in mid 500's with prop tax in 12-14k range, houses upto 4000 sq ft. that's not out of the realm of norm in Chicagoland, also, many property taxes are way off because the assessments have to be re-done which has to be initiated by the homeowner, or when you buy the property. I have done it 2x on 2 different houses here.

As for the house you linked, there is no way that would stay at 20k taxes, my old house which is 3700 sq ft, had taxes of 19k, and it was reassessed down to 14 (not cheap but not insane), after I submitted an appeal at the village level. We have a mechanism here where you submit appeals at the village level, don't need to go to will county which has a back log of thousands of cases.

I can find just as many examples of reasonable prop tax places here. Real estate is hot and moving down here.

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Frankfort/.../home/23357528
tax 13k

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Frankfort/.../home/23336784
1.5 million, on 5 acres, 8,000 sq ft
taxes ? 19k

anyways, this is off topic, back to your topic. I just like to lend some fair and balanced input when Frankfort comes up, from the perspective of somebody who lives here.

Last edited by drss01; 02-03-2015 at 12:39 PM..

Old 02-03-2015, 12:29 PM

11,972 posts, read 26,857,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drss01 View Post
I can post up dozens of properties of very nice home in mid 500's with prop tax in 12-14k range, houses upto 4000 sq ft. that's not out of the realm of norm in Chicagoland, ...
That's really, really high for a $500k house. For instance, in downers grove that $500k house would likely have $6,000 property taxes. In Glen Ellyn it would be just under $10k. Even Oak Park would be less expensive at that price range.

Granted, a $500k house in any of those towns would not be anywhere near 4,000 square feet, nor would it be new, so if you look at it that way you probably still have an edge on affordability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or