U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2015, 06:15 PM

848 posts, read 640,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
There are many new homes in Wheaton with in-town locations listed for around $750k:

812 Irving Avenue WHEATON, IL 60187 | Redfin
419 S. Wheaton Avenue WHEATON, IL 60187 | Redfin
226 Parkway Drive WHEATON, IL 60187 | Redfin

If you're willing to go with less square footage, you can nab one for even less $$:

1110 E. Willow Avenue WHEATON, IL 60187 | Redfin

There are still more listings for just the lot, several at great prices and with your choice of blueprints:

117 E. Elm Street WHEATON, IL 60189 | Redfin

Also, if you're interested, there are some really beautiful row homes being developed right in the heart of downtown Wheaton, and they start below your max budget:

341 E. Liberty Drive WHEATON, IL 60187| Redfin

Here is a listing of an existing row home nearby, so you can get a feel for the kind of options available:

193 S. Reber Street WHEATON, IL 60187 | Redfin

And as Toria pointed out, there are two locations where Keim Corp is building new homes in Wheaton... and while they aren't in-town locations, they are very nice in their own right -- walking distance to tot lots, golf courses, schools, the Prairie Path, and some beautiful preserves:

Amberwood Estates of Wheaton | Custom Homes | Keim Corp
Legends of Wheaton | Custom Homes | Keim Corp
Those are some interesting options but to be honest I would prefer to be east of Wheaton if possible. If all else is equal I would prefer downers or elmhurst over wheaton due to proximity to the city.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 06:24 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,609,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
Those are some interesting options but to be honest I would prefer to be east of Wheaton if possible. If all else is equal I would prefer downers or elmhurst over wheaton due to proximity to the city.
I can understand that... you've got to draw the line in the sand somewhere. But for being 10-15 minutes more removed from the Loop (versus Elmhurst by train or car, less versus DG) you can really pick up some savings. I think you'll have trouble finding something under budget in Elmhurst and you'll end up making sacrifices on location and amenities. You wouldn't have to make those same sacrifices in Wheaton.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
I can understand that... you've got to draw the line in the sand somewhere. But for being 10-15 minutes more removed from the Loop (versus Elmhurst by train or car, less versus DG) you can really pick up some savings. I think you'll have trouble finding something under budget in Elmhurst and you'll end up making sacrifices on location and amenities. You wouldn't have to make those same sacrifices in Wheaton.
Oh I agree but those are small sacrifices we are willing to make. If it means 2 less bathrooms, smaller closets, and smaller yard those are the kind of things we would forego for a location closer to the city. And while yes elmhurst is only 10 miles closer to the city than wheaton we all know living in this area that 10 miles can equate to 30 minutes or more drive time in traffic. If we were both working in the western suburbs and no chance of ever having to work downtown I am sure we might think differently.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Oh I agree but those are small sacrifices we are willing to make. If it means 2 less bathrooms, smaller closets, and smaller yard those are the kind of things we would forego for a location closer to the city. And while yes elmhurst is only 10 miles closer to the city than wheaton we all know living in this area that 10 miles can equate to 30 minutes or more drive time in traffic. If we were both working in the western suburbs and no chance of ever having to work downtown I am sure we might think differently.
I think your perceptions are a little off. 10 miles in 30 minutes means driving 20 mph, and you just don't average that kind of snail pace west of Elmhurst. The densities are different. Real world, on the highway, that average speed is probably closer to 50 mph, which reduces the trip to just 12 minutes. And I think that's generally accurate...

As someone who has driven from Wheaton to the Loop in all manner of traffic and during all forms of weather, I can tell you that it has never taken me more than 20 minutes to get to the Hillside Strangler at 88 and 294. It's usually closer to 17 minutes, even during the morning rush. The drive is incredibly consistent. To get over to the Hillside Strangler from most central Elmhurst locations will still take about 5 minutes, leaving the net difference in drive times between Wheaton and Elmhurst at 12 minutes. And like I said, there isn't a lot of variability to that.

The difference in drive-time to the Loop from Downers Grove and Wheaton is almost negligible (~5 minutes), and an express Metra from Wheaton takes about 15 minutes longer than from Elmhurst. Times would be the same from northeast Naperville and a few minutes less from next door Glen Ellyn.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 01-16-2015 at 08:11 PM..

Old 01-16-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
I think your perceptions are a little off. 10 miles in 30 minutes means driving 20 mph, and you just don't average that kind of snail pace west of Elmhurst. The densities are different. Real world, on the highway, that average speed is probably closer to 50 mph, which reduces the trip to just 12 minutes. And I think that's generally accurate...

As someone who has driven from Wheaton to the Loop in all manner of traffic and during all forms of weather, I can tell you that it has never taken me more than 20 minutes to get to the Hillside Strangler at 88 and 294. It's usually closer to 17 minutes, even during the morning rush. The drive is incredibly consistent. To get over to the Hillside Strangler from most central Elmhurst locations will still take about 5 minutes, leaving the net difference in drive times between Wheaton and Elmhurst at 12 minutes. And like I said, there isn't a lot of variability to that.

The difference in drive-time to the Loop from Downers Grove and Wheaton is almost negligible (~5 minutes), and an express Metra from Wheaton takes about 15 minutes longer than from Elmhurst. Times would be the same from northeast Naperville and a few minutes less from next door Glen Ellyn.

Hope that helps!
The problem is in town wheaton does not have direct access to 88. It's probably a good 5 miles from it and you certainly aren't averaging 50 mph on the local roads (ie naperville or Roosevelt road). Whereas, elmhurst is right off 290 (most areas within 2 miles)

Old 01-16-2015, 08:55 PM

Quote:
The problem is in town wheaton does not have direct access to 88. It's probably a good 5 miles from it and you certainly aren't averaging 50 mph on the local roads (ie naperville or Roosevelt road). Whereas, elmhurst is right off 290 (most areas within 2 miles)
Again, you perceptions are a little off.

The distance is slightly longer to the highway from central Wheaton than it is from central Elmhurst, but the roads you take from Wheaton are much faster. Want specifics? My route starts on southbound Naperville Road. Flow on Naperville is 40 mph with limited lights until Butterfield Road, at which point the flow increases to 55 mph, with no lights, until the 88 on-ramp just south of Warrenville Road. From there, I can average at least 65+ mph until the Hillside strangler. So yes, I can easily average 50 mph from downtown Wheaton to the Hillside Strangler. My real world experience, the experiences of others I know, and online map tools all validate this.

Bottom line: By car or train, Wheaton is 12-15 minutes more removed from the Loop than Elmhurst.

Obviously you've still got to draw that line in the sand somewhere, and that extra 12-15 mins might be too much, but I'd hate to see you operating with a filter that has erroneous inputs.

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 01-16-2015 at 09:03 PM..

Old 01-16-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Again, you perceptions are a little off.

The distance is slightly longer to the highway from central Wheaton than it is from central Elmhurst, but the roads you take from Wheaton are much faster. Want specifics? My route starts on southbound Naperville Road. Naperville is 40 mph with limited lights until Butterfield Road, at which point the speed limit increases to 50 mph, with no lights, until the 88 on-ramp just south of Warrenville Road. From there, I can average at least 65 mph until the Hillside strangler. So yes, I easily average 50 mph from downtown Wheaton to the Hillside Strangler. My real world experience, the experiences of others I know, and online map tools all validate this.

Bottom line: By car or train, Wheaton is 12-15 minutes more removed from the Loop than Elmhurst.

Obviously you've still got to draw that line in the sand somewhere, and that extra 12-15 mins might be too much, but I'd hate to see you operating with a filter that has erroneous inputs.
I think 15 minutes would be the minimum additional time when comparing the commute in from wheaton versus elmhurst. But what happens if there is snow or an accident on that section of 88? I imagine that time can easily double. The area that I like in elmhurst takes less than 5 minutes to get to 290 from st charles road. Either way, even if I use 15 minutes each way that's 30 minutes a day which I deem considerable. Not to mention more in gas, tolls, etc. for some people I'm sure it's not a big deal but it's a personal preference of mine. I wish I could be even a bit closer to the city but my wife works further west and the options are a bit more limited in terms of desirable suburbs closer to the city.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:31 PM

Quote:
I think 15 minutes would be the minimum additional time when comparing the commute in from wheaton versus elmhurst. But what happens if there is snow or an accident on that section of 88? I imagine that time can easily double. The area that I like in elmhurst takes less than 5 minutes to get to 290 from st charles road. Either way, even if I use 15 minutes each way that's 30 minutes a day which I deem considerable. Not to mention more in gas, tolls, etc. for some people I'm sure it's not a big deal but it's a personal preference of mine. I wish I could be even a bit closer to the city but my wife works further west and the options are a bit more limited in terms of desirable suburbs closer to the city.
Bad snow doesn't add but a few mins to the commute... that's the ~20 mins I quoted you earlier. There could always be an accident, of course, but there are alternative routes on surface streets that while adding additional time to the commute won't necessarily double the commute. Conversely, I could posit a scenario where there is bad accident on a busy Elmhurst through way, and the commute from there would be doubled while remaining smooth from Wheaton. Regardless, these are rare instances.

Here's how I looked at the situation when I moved my young family from Chicago in 2013. Say there are two identical downtown homes, one is in Wheaton and can be bought for $700k, the other is in Elmhurst and costs $850k (IMO a fair spread). Principal and interest payments on the Wheaton home are $2610/mo. On the Elmhurst home they are $3170. All else equal, the Wheaton home nets a savings of $560/mo. If one were to spend 40 extra minutes a day commuting to the Wheaton home that'd work out to approximately 13 hours/month. The $560 monthly savings divided by the 13 monthly hours means you're making $43/hour for that extra drive. $43/hour equates to an annual salary of $90k -- a handsome wage indeed! You can play around with the price spread and outputs, but even at half the $/hour, I think it's a strong case to at least keep the desirable towns further west in mind...

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 01-16-2015 at 10:41 PM..

Old 01-16-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Bad snow doesn't add but a few mins to the commute... that's the ~20 mins I quoted you earlier. There could always be an accident, of course, but there are alternative routes on surface streets that while adding additional time to the commute won't necessarily double the commute. Conversely, I could posit a scenario where there is bad accident on a busy Elmhurst through way, and the commute from there would be doubled while remaining smooth from Wheaton. Regardless, these are rare instances.

Here's how I looked at the situation when I moved my young family from Chicago in 2013. Say there are two identical downtown homes, one is in Wheaton and can be bought for $700k, an the other is in Elmhurst and costs $850k. Principal and interest payments on the Wheaton home are $2610/mo. On the Elmhurst home they are $3170. All else equal, the Wheaton home nets a savings of $560/mo. If one were were to spend 40 extra minutes a day commuting to the Wheaton home that's equates to approximately 13 hours per month. The $560 monthly savings divided by the 13 monthly hours means you're making $43/hour for that extra drive. $43/hour equates to an annual salary of $90k -- a handsome wage indeed! You can play around with the price spread and outputs, but even at half the $/hour, I think it's a strong case to at least keep the desirable towns further west in mind...
How do the wheaton public schools compare to elmhurst? I am familiar with elmhurst schools but not very with wheaton

Old 01-16-2015, 10:04 PM

Quote:
How do the wheaton public schools compare to elmhurst? I am familiar with elmhurst schools but not very with wheaton
For elementary schools: The high-end in Wheaton performs a little better than the high-end in Elmhurst, but the low-end in Wheaton does a little worse than the low-end in Elmhurst. Longfellow, which is the school that serves Wheaton's downtown core, scored a 91% on the 2014 ISAT. In Elmhurst, the highest 2014 ISAT scorer was Lincoln, with an 89%. For high school: York and Wheaton North are very comparable. North's 2014 ISAT was 77%, York's was 76%.

As a side note, there are more monetary benefits to shopping further west than just the real estate price spread. Things like daycare, sports lessons, etc. tend to cost significantly less. Even the average annual auto insurance rate is a little less in Wheaton than the inner ring suburbs. The savings add up and more than make up for the daily toll on 88. And we are amenity-heavy too. For the kids: we have our own little zoo, a living history farm, tanks (yes, actual tanks!), a couple museums, an equestrian center where kids can learn to ride, and much greater access to nature and preserve space. For grown-ups, we've got some of the best-ranked public golf courses in the state, and a private course that is consistently ranked in the top 20 nationally: America's 100 Greatest Golf Courses - Page 2 | Gof Digest. If you're into golf, that is.

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 01-16-2015 at 10:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or