Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 04:56 PM

939 posts, read 2,368,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebuggg View Post
What's everyone's story, if I am not changing the topic too much here? What's going on with you, your kids, how is school going, etc.?

So here's the deal with my son... he was miserable in school, and in life. He had his first summer job, at Burger King. He was a tiny kid, so the uniform was huge. He hated working there. Someone offered him a job in the computer lab... they were wiring the school for internet..

Long story short, my son never looked back. He was a sweet geeky kid who learned Japanese in middle school because some Nintendo games were not available in English. That kind of kid. In grade school and middle school, my son never fit in. The kids at school made fun of him. The kids in the neighborhood made fun of him. At IMSA, jeez, I think it was the first time kids didn't make fun of my son because he didn't have Air Jordans. That's what I mean about IMSA being such a blessing for him. He finally fit in! For the first time in his whole life.

Most important... my son now is happy! Truly happy. He loves his work, and he loves his life.

...what more of a happy ending could a mom possibly get, I don't know
I'm glad your son is happy as an adult and and everything turned out well for him. I do want to tell you that Highland Park High School is not like that now. There are plenty of "geeky" kids and no one looks at someone's shoes as a status symbol. I'm surprised it was that way when your son was there. Students are in no way discouraged or socially ostracized for being smart, in fact, it's more socially "unacceptable" to be considered "not smart". But really, pretty much everyone does their own thing and finds their fit.

If this all happened in middle school, well, yes, middle school is middle school. It's a tough time for most all kids, regardless of whether they are geeky, awkward, unsure of themselves, shy, pretty, too tall, too short, etc.

I'm curious as to what you felt was wrong with having your son take a bus to the high school for math? He must have been taking Adv. Algebra/Trig or higher in 8th grade, as they offer everything from basic algebra to Advanced Geometry at the 8th grade level at the middle school itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 05:35 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,064,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige65 View Post
I'm glad your son is happy as an adult and and everything turned out well for him. I do want to tell you that Highland Park High School is not like that now. There are plenty of "geeky" kids and no one looks at someone's shoes as a status symbol. I'm surprised it was that way when your son was there. Students are in no way discouraged or socially ostracized for being smart, in fact, it's more socially "unacceptable" to be considered "not smart". But really, pretty much everyone does their own thing and finds their fit.

If this all happened in middle school, well, yes, middle school is middle school. It's a tough time for most all kids, regardless of whether they are geeky, awkward, unsure of themselves, shy, pretty, too tall, too short, etc.

I'm curious as to what you felt was wrong with having your son take a bus to the high school for math? He must have been taking Adv. Algebra/Trig or higher in 8th grade, as they offer everything from basic algebra to Advanced Geometry at the 8th grade level at the middle school itself.
That makes me feel so much better. I'm in the process of placing an offer on a property in HP and my daughter is going to go to HPHS sometime in March. I've heard that HPHS is not bad socially unlike a lot of other north shore high schools which is part of the reason we are sending my daughter there. We are excited and relieved that she will finally get to go there instead of her current school.

Old 09-10-2016, 03:09 PM

33 posts, read 73,133 times
I wanted to revive this thread in hopes of hearing more about individual experiences with various public school gifted programs as well as private gifted schools (namely Avery Coonley, Quest, Science & Arts Academy). My child has been formally identified as highly gifted so it's not a question of if but when we move/switch schools as our current school system does not have a gifted program. (My child is not 2E, so no IEP).

GoCubs1, you have provided wonderful, detailed information regarding your experiences in Barrington so thank you for that! Barrington is on our short list at this point based on all of the information you have shared on the forum.

Someone recommended Highland Park's gifted program, but I'm unclear about how the failed referendum impacts the future of the schools and of course their gifted programming. I'm concerned about picking up and moving into a district where the future of such a program may be uncertain.

Old 03-21-2017, 04:46 PM

5 posts, read 5,141 times
I also wanted to bump this, have twins approaching pre-K age and have had trouble discerning what is available in nearby public schools related to gifted/accelerated programs. We live near Downers Grove but prefer not to pay Avery Coonley tuition if we can avoid it for a comparable product in the public schools.

Interested in west suburban schools ideally located along BNSF lines from LaGrange to Downers, Elmhurst or Glen Ellyn.

I see Elmhurst has the REACH program which I was a part of when I was in elementary school which I thought was a good program, any others I should be looking into. Appears Hinsdale/CH dropped their gifted program a few years ago and incorporated into curriculum for all (which probably is not as effective). What I liked about a pull-out program was that the same kids were in the advanced program throughout grade school and we all became very good friends (most to this day). I think that continuity would be very beneficial and support/encourage learning in a gifted environment.

Am I missing any other programs that I should be researching?

Old 03-28-2017, 03:31 PM

84 posts, read 96,955 times
Naperville 203 schools have the PI+ program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs