Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2015, 09:25 AM

5 posts, read 8,501 times

Advertisements

I apologize for the longer post. I was recently in a minor car accident in Downers Grove. There were cars ahead of me that had stopped at a green light intersection because of and accident that had happened a little earlier. I did not see the accident, and when the cars came to a quick stop I rear ended the car in front (which in turn bumped the car in front of it). I saw it in time to break but the road was slippery and downhill so I could not brake fully and therefore I think I am at fault.

When an officer arrived, I was issued a ticket for failing to slow to avoid an accident an or driving too fast for adverse conditions. The ticket said that my "bond" is $140 which I assume is my ticket amount.

Normally I'd just be happy to pay the ticket and get the thing settled but there is one more wrinkle. Although there was only minor damage to the vehicles (bumper scratches, ect.), the drivers in the car ahead of me must have said they had wiplash because they were taken to the hospital (I was shocked because the passenger got out of his car and took pictures of my car before getting back in). Anyway, because of their was personal injury, I have to appear in court for my ticket.

My two concerns are:
1.) Insurance: will there hospital check up kill my insurance? I'm just freaked out that they had to do that. I imagine the claim for the vehicle damage will be minor so I'm not too worried about that.
2.) Court: I've never been in an accident and I've definitely never been to court. What should I expect? I don't think they people were malicious but I imagine I can get sued?
--> what i hope happens is the bill from their hospital visit is not too high and I can settle their claims through my insurance for a reasonable amount. If they are happy, they and the officer will not show up in court. Is this possible or is it wishful thinking.

Thanks in advance for the help. I tend to be paranoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 09:38 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
Default Separate issues...

The ticket issuing officer will be in court. In all towns in DuPage Co the police are paid to show up in court.

Given the facts here you might want to talk to a lawyer, there is a strong possibility the injured party will ask the prosecutor to pursue a conviction, that could bolster their civil case if that is why they went to hospital and took pictures.

Your insurer cannot provide an attorney for your criminal defense. Talk to a lawyer. For a few hundred dollars they ought to be able to file motion to delay so you can figure out if the injured party is going to press this.

Good luck!

Old 01-21-2015, 10:00 AM

The court date is not until March 9th, which led me to believe that the officer was actually trying to find a time he could show up as well, so that makes sense.

Thanks for the advice Chet, I will talk to a lawyer. Let's hope these people just want their damages covered and aren't looking to slam me.

Any other points of view are appreciated.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:02 AM

One more question, if they were able to run around my car to take a picture of the license plate wouldn't that be good evidence that they were not seriously injured? Unfortunately I did not think to take a picture of the guy doing this.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:03 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
Default Most people involved in vehicle collisions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrraffin View Post
One more question, if they were able to run around my car to take a picture of the license plate wouldn't that be good evidence that they were not seriously injured? Unfortunately I did not think to take a picture of the guy doing this.
... will experience some negative effects of the sudden change in acceleration. Their behavior immediately following the collisions is not a reliable indicator of future problems. Experienced lawyers can explain your options.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:06 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,199,670 times
Have you reported this to your insurance company? They will not handle the ticket but they will be the ones handling any claims from the cars in front of you for property damage or personal injury.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:57 PM

I recently submitted the insurance information and am waiting to hear back. Hopefully this process isn't too drawn out. The accident occurred a few days ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs