U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 09:14 AM

5,520 posts, read 11,970,918 times

Advertisements

If you live near the Oak Park metro station you will be a short drive to Franklin Park (about 30 minutes), crime will be negligible, and you'll be close to the walkable core of Oak Park. You could also look at the northern part of Forest Park (cheaper rent than Oak Park).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 11:14 AM

1,231 posts, read 1,323,515 times
La Grange is a great option. Oak Park is actually only 7.9 miles from Franklin Park. You should consider Oak Park too and also River Forest which is even closer to Franklin Park than Oak Park is.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:45 AM

25 posts, read 24,459 times
@JJski
Walkable Metra will be ideal. Else I will have to drive her to the station and like you mentioned city traffic can be painful.
Will surely explore rental options in La Grange

Last edited by nikhilkas; 01-26-2015 at 12:07 PM..

Old 01-26-2015, 12:04 PM

@oakparkdude
Thanks for the suggestion. There are a couple of rentals on Clarence av. bordered by Van Buren and Harrison which should be walkable to the Blue line. Is that too close to the tracks ? Wouldn't want the train noise to be an issue.
And is the parking situation in Oak Park bad ? I am a little confused about how much a parking permit would cost
per month (due to the variety of permits, lots etc.). Would $60 -$80 per month be a fair assumption ?

Haven't really looked at Forest Park. Will explore that option as well. Thanks !!

Old 01-26-2015, 12:07 PM

@4122
Appreciate the suggestion. Will keep an eye out for River Forest as well.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:20 PM

Thank you to everyone who posted. Your replies were informative and helped clear up a few things.

Seems to me that I should be focusing on exploring rental options in Elmhurst, La Grange and Oak Park . Maybe north Forest Park and River Forest as well.

A little off topic, but are the websites, trulia and neighborhood scout an accurate representation of the crime in the city. I have been using them as my primary means of gauging safety.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilkas View Post
@oakparkdude
Thanks for the suggestion. There are a couple of rentals on Clarence av. bordered by Van Buren and Harrison which should be walkable to the Blue line. Is that too close to the tracks ? Wouldn't want the train noise to be an issue.
And is the parking situation in Oak Park bad ? I am a little confused about how much a parking permit would cost
per month (due to the variety of permits, lots etc.). Would $60 -$80 per month be a fair assumption ?

Haven't really looked at Forest Park. Will explore that option as well. Thanks !!
Parking can be very difficult in "No Park", but it depends on a lot of variables. You're better off with guaranteed off-street parking for sure. Before you sign a lease, check with the village for the availability and cost of off street parking. $60-80 sounds about right in village lots.

Regarding el noise, I can actually hear the Blue line trains very faintly at my house near the Green line during the winter time (no leaves). Before you sign a lease, listen for the noise inside the prospective apartment and make sure it won't be too annoying.

Regarding that location, that's close to a nice little business district at Oak Park Ave and the Blue line. Kinderhook, Avenue Ale House, the sushi place there, and the hole in the wall custard shop are Oak Park favorites.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:27 PM

3,260 posts, read 4,505,593 times
This is one option in Elmhurst. It's a very good location for the train and downtown bars, restaurants and shopping:

Vintage 1 Bedroom with lots of sunlight.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:33 PM

@oakparkdude
Thank you for those tips. Will keep that in mind before I sign a lease

Old 01-26-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilkas View Post
@oakparkdude
Thank you for those tips. Will keep that in mind before I sign a lease
BTW, my personal preference would still be to live close to downtown OP. You get better shopping and dining amenities, as well as access to commuter rail service. The downside is that rents will be higher and parking will be a bit more difficult. Downtown OP will also put you a bit closer to your job than south OP, it might save you 5 minutes to be north of Lake St.

These are great locations:
http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/apa/4823575055.html
http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/apa/4863744201.html
http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/apa/4862956302.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or