U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 07:58 AM

1,974 posts, read 2,418,491 times
Evanston, followed closely by Oak Park.

All the others follow behind these two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 11:54 PM

4,863 posts, read 5,821,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post

good assessment.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:11 AM

1,974 posts, read 2,418,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
good assessment.

Well, of all the suburbs I've been to in Chicago (admittedly, probably only 1/3-1/2 of them), Evanston and Oak Park stand out clearly as having the most structured, built-out and dedicated downtowns. They are both vibrant, have ample shopping/dining, both are built-up and fairly large, but also stress pedestrian activity (biking/walking). Elmhurst I guess is OK, but it can't rank with Evanston or Oak Park on this criteria. Arlington Heights is decent too.

I'll repeat, Evanston and Oak Park-- imo -- have the most vibrant and compelling downtowns of all suburbs surrounding Chicago. Have not been to Naperville in a while but while I guess it can be construed as a suburb, for quite a long while it was its own distinct settlement.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:37 AM

237 posts, read 181,582 times
Quote:

I had posted this before, but do read this article titled "The suburb that tried to kill the car", which is about Evanston's efforts to transform itself into a denser commuter and walk/bike friendly suburban downtown. They have also changed zoning laws to accomplish this.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...t-works-213282

Old 07-12-2017, 12:36 AM

209 posts, read 309,186 times
My opinion, Chicagoland is so diverse that different groups exist

Most urban,close to city, liberal
Evanston
Oak Park

Old Money feel
North shore

Charming/character
St. Charles
Geneva

Most happening
Naperville

Old 07-12-2017, 03:06 PM

772 posts, read 421,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westburbsil View Post
My opinion, Chicagoland is so diverse that different groups exist

Most urban,close to city, liberal
Evanston
Oak Park

Old Money feel
North shore

Charming/character
St. Charles
Geneva

Most happening
Naperville
Best post of the thread.

It depends on what you like. If you want restaurants/bars/action, Naperville is easily the best, and it's not even close. It's the only downtown outside of Chicago with a Catch 35 and a Hugo Frog Bar, for example. It's teeming with people of all kinds, all the time. Really an amazing scene for a suburb.

But if you want a charming, cute downtown, Geneva/St. Charles are both great calls. Wheaton is another.

I was underwhelmed by Oak Park and think it's totally overrated. Not to mention, it's a breath away from terrible urban decay and danger in Austin.

Evanston's is nice, but I'd rather just venture into the city if I'm already at Evanston. A quick ride gets you to Lincoln Square.

Old 07-12-2017, 03:25 PM

4,863 posts, read 5,821,698 times
Quote:
Well, of all the suburbs I've been to in Chicago (admittedly, probably only 1/3-1/2 of them), Evanston and Oak Park stand out clearly as having the most structured, built-out and dedicated downtowns. They are both vibrant, have ample shopping/dining, both are built-up and fairly large, but also stress pedestrian activity (biking/walking). Elmhurst I guess is OK, but it can't rank with Evanston or Oak Park on this criteria. Arlington Heights is decent too.

I'll repeat, Evanston and Oak Park-- imo -- have the most vibrant and compelling downtowns of all suburbs surrounding Chicago. Have not been to Naperville in a while but while I guess it can be construed as a suburb, for quite a long while it was its own distinct settlement.
and here's something that makes downtown Evanston and downtown Oak Park unique...and it's a biggie:

no other suburban downtowns are served by both Metra and CTA rapid transit lines.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:44 AM

9 posts, read 5,160 times
Geneva & St. Charles

Old 07-17-2017, 10:02 AM

3,947 posts, read 4,053,166 times
I don't think you can really compare all these very different burbs in terms of downtown. I think many people consider Evanston to almost be part of Chicago and is obviously frequented by many more people via Chicago as opposed to a burb like Batavia not getting any of that traffic. Also a burb like FOrest Park which has a pretty cool strip on Madison again I dont think can really be compared to a Naperville or Batavia

Personally I like Naperville, while it is turning into a lot of chains you have a huge number of bars in a small location for a suburb ie Irish Pub, Outdoor patio places, Dance Clubs, neighborhood bars, etc. You still have some shopping, a bit of office space, some good dining options, fairly easy to access ie fairly well located, decent parking, etc, etc, etc.

I think for a young person or really person of any age who doesn't want to live in the city Naperville isn't half bad in terms of nightlife when it comes to the burbs.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:32 AM

3,613 posts, read 8,304,282 times
Oak Park for me, haven't spent much time in Evanston to compare....Downers Grove, Elmhurst and LaGrange are nice too. One draw back with Lagrange is the enormous amount of 4 lane traffic that comes through there and is often at a halt because of the rail line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or