Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 02:33 PM

720 posts, read 1,083,671 times

Advertisements

And Batavia is still underrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 10:53 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,871,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
That one block where Ballydoyle's sits is pretty nice. Done that a couple of times. But yeah, not much to do for nightlife really. It does have a presence and feeling of history. It also feels kind of "brooding".
I also really like Quinta de los Reyes, a non-chain Mexican restaurant across Fox River from Ballydoyle's. It turns into a salsa dance club on weekend nights. The place is quite friendly, not "tough". It's authentic too; you have to speak Spanish to ask a lady to dance with you.

The word "brooding" is a good way to describe downtown Aurora, a counterpoint of sorts from the energetic and lively, but relatively sterile downtown Naperville (*cough* Water St. *cough*). I also heard it described it as a "sleepy river town that time forgot". But you know, it all makes the place feel more "real". If we put back some streetcars (not pseudo-streetcars that are actually buses), and open an organic wheatgrass juice bar, I can see it attracting hipsters who can't afford the gentrifying Chicago neighborhoods. (But then it'll turn into a yuppie enclave down the road, so might as well keep it the way it is.)

It'd be interesting to see what exactly set apart Naperville and Aurora; historically, they were sister towns, with a degree of sibling rivalry. But today, downtown Naperville became lively and trendy, while downtown Aurora became kind of empty and brooding.

Old 01-29-2018, 01:13 PM

57 posts, read 63,766 times
I live downtown (Chicago) and in the summer use the Metra to go on cycling trips on connecting lines. I've been to a lot of different downtowns and of them:

1 Evanston - high rises, great restaurants, bike lanes, plenty of things to do, and blocks from the lake. Livable for anyone
2 Naperville - most expansive and impressive, although the big box part of it is really cheesy
3 Wheaton - great restaurants
4 Elmhurst - best balance of restaurants, shops, and entertainment
5 Arlington Heights - similar to Elmhurst, plus multiple theaters, but weak on shopping. Livable for senior citizens
6 St Charles - best downtown on the River
7 La Grange - similar to AH/Elmhurst
8 Libertyville - surprisingly not a lot of great downtowns in the North but this one is
9 Crystal Lake - quieter obviously but good restaurants plus Raue Center
10 Barrington/Palatine/Mt Prospect - basically smaller, interchangeable versions of AH

Elgin and Aurora have a lot of potential but are still quite worn down. I know Oak Park is considered highly and livable but I always thought it seemed tired and too close to the war zones of Chicago.

Best downtown without a Metra- Frankfort easily.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:19 AM

2,502 posts, read 3,371,489 times
Northwest Indiana is always overlooked. Valparaiso and Michigan City deserve a vote.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:59 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,912,172 times
Naperville based on size. LaGrange is awesome, probably the most accessible based on town size of any. Then Park Ridge.

AH is kind of desolate. Not a lot of foot traffic, still a bit too scattered feeling.

Old 02-07-2018, 05:46 PM

122 posts, read 201,178 times
My personal favorites.
Elmhurst
Glen Ellyn
Geneva
Wheaton
Naperville
Lagrange
Highland Park
Libertyville
Evanston
Oak Park

Old 02-08-2018, 07:33 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,582,897 times
I just discovered Libertyville, they have a lot of restaurants and cute quaint shoppes. So they win for me!

Old 02-08-2018, 08:02 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,247,544 times
ChicagoMeO, To break up my trips to Chicago, I would take different routes. Using Milwaukee Avenue, I discovered Libertyville when I had an auto mishap and was lucky to have found a car shop open at the time. It gave me a chance to walk through the downtown area, and I also loved it. I've been back to enjoy their Libertyville Days, their library, Casa Bonita, the yogurt place, and the movie theater!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs