U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2015, 09:33 AM

6 posts, read 8,643 times

Advertisements

Hi:

I am going to relocate to Chicago next week. I will work in Chicago downtown. I want to live in the suburb area rather than in the downtown. May I get some suggestions where to live? I prefer not to drive because it is too crowded. So the apartment should be close to metros or subways.

Thank you and have a good day!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 09:47 AM

28,383 posts, read 67,919,335 times
The Metra rail system is fairly extensive, served several dozen suburbs stretching to NW Indiana with links to their heavy rail. The CTA El trains also serve suburbs like Forest Park, Oak Park, Berwyn, Evanston, Skokie and Wilmette.

Need more specifics!

Old 02-04-2015, 10:16 AM

3,260 posts, read 4,505,593 times
Chet is right, we need more specifics. What is your budget? How long of a commute can you handle? Do schools matter?

The short answer is to live within walking distance of one of the metra stations. There are a lot of stations though, and which area you should target depends on what you want.

Metra Mobile

Old 02-05-2015, 01:51 PM

178 posts, read 291,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The Metra rail system is fairly extensive, served several dozen suburbs stretching to NW Indiana with links to their heavy rail. The CTA El trains also serve suburbs like Forest Park, Oak Park, Berwyn, Evanston, Skokie and Wilmette.

Need more specifics!
Without knowing your specifics, I would pay serious attention to Chet's last sentence. Metra has seemed to have numerous fare increases in the last five years, whereas CTA has only had one. Living in Evanston or Wilmette (if they fall within your budget), is a great idea because you can catch the Purple Line Express during rush hour. Oak Park/Forest Park both good options and travels times are shorter than the Purple Line......although the Blue and Green Lines both go through some bad areas of town. I have thought about a move to the burbs in the next five years, but I will limit my search to the four suburbs that I just mentioned because you don't have to rely on Metra to get into Chicago. Metra is run terribly. One of the recent CEOs quit because of the culture of corruption. Not that the CTA is perfect......far from it, but it is a much better option. Here are some articles to further illustrate my point:

Metra approves fare increase - Chicago Tribune
Some Metra riders say fare increases will drive them to CTA | Chicago
$442,000 buyout for Metra CEO 'small price to pay' - Chicago Tribune

Old 02-05-2015, 10:48 PM

397 posts, read 435,071 times
Thinking only of the commute and wanting to be in a suburb, it's hard to beat Evanston because it has both the purple line express and the Metra. It's a very charming town and has many reasonably priced apartments near the trains (Metra and El). It's also right on the lake and has its own little downtown.

I'd give very different advice to someone with kids looking to buy but Evanston would be great for a single person working in the Loop who does not want to live in Chicago.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:24 PM

36 posts, read 54,414 times
Actually, many people falling in the category of "someone with kids looking to buy" also rather enjoy living in Evanston!

Old 02-06-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2357 View Post
Actually, many people falling in the category of "someone with kids looking to buy" also rather enjoy living in Evanston!
I'm sure many would enjoy living in Evanston but IMHO it's not the best option for many families. The schools in Evanston aren't as good as in other North Shore districts. Parts of Evanston have gang problems. A middle class family would be better served by finding a cheaper home in another suburb that doesn't have the issues that south Evanston has. At least, IMHO.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:43 AM

1,231 posts, read 1,323,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2357 View Post
Some parts of Evanston are in this category while some aren't. I would live in one of the nice parts of Evanston with my family if I could afford it. The Evanston schools in the nice parts are very good. Even ETHS isn't as highly ranked as other north shore high schools, it's still better than the majority of high schools in the suburbs.

Old 02-07-2015, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
Some parts of Evanston are in this category while some aren't. I would live in one of the nice parts of Evanston with my family if I could afford it. The Evanston schools in the nice parts are very good. Even ETHS isn't as highly ranked as other north shore high schools, it's still better than the majority of high schools in the suburbs.
Precisely. If you've got a lot of money and can afford to buy in the chi chi area along the Lake, then Evanston is great. But most families need housing that is more affordable and would have to buy in the less desirable areas and would issues that they would not have in a different suburb. The benefits of Evanston; the diversity, the lake, etc., aren't worth the trade-off for less crime and better schools, IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or