U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 09:40 AM

4 posts, read 3,792 times

Advertisements

Hello there and thanks for taking the time to read this.

So I'll set up a bit of my current situation at the moment and go from there. I currently live around the Midway area but work around the Jefferson Blue line stop. The daily commute is finally starting to get to me and I'm looking to move closer to work. My monthly budget for rent would be around $800-1000. I'm not looking for anything too fancy other than 1 bedroom (even that I can see myself negotiating.

I'd ideally like a real safe neighborhood. I've grown up on the south side and want a safer neighborhood to live within. I'm not the most active nightlife person but would like a place where if I want to go see a movie or eat out at a restaurant I can do so. Being able to either commute or drive to work within 30 minutes would be amazing. I currently wake up 2.5 hours prior to getting into work just to make sure I get there on time. Being able to wake up and get there within an hour would be heaven.

To say I would like a place that allows small pets would be cool but not a deal breaker if they don't. This would be my first time moving out so I know some places do offer utilities included while others don't. The same would go for places that have in unit laundry, (I've always gone to laundromats since I was a child).

I know on my current budget a lot of that seems hard but if not possible could someone estimate how much an apartment like that might be so I can try and aim for a higher budget perhaps as well while not going to far overboard.

Any advice and comments welcome, thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 09:50 AM

3,263 posts, read 4,526,675 times
Are you looking to live in the suburbs? If not, this should probably be moved to the Chicago forum because you'll get more answers about the city there.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:59 AM

I'm sorry I figured since I had posted it within this sub forum that it would imply I was looking to move into a suburb. My apologies, and yes, I am looking to live in the suburbs.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:08 AM

70 posts, read 65,405 times
Do you have a car? Do you want to commute via the blue line?

Old 02-06-2015, 10:14 AM

You might try Skokie.

4615 Davis - 1 & 2 Bedrooms Available

Newley Renovated 1 Bed 1Bath Apartment $810

Old 02-06-2015, 10:21 AM

28,393 posts, read 68,162,690 times
Maybe DesPlaines?

Old 02-06-2015, 10:44 AM

Are these relatively safer suburbs? Obviously I am aware that any location will have its shadier parts of town.

I do own a car but do not mind commuting either.

Thanks to both of you for answering. I am a longer time lurker and first time poster. I know for instance Mr. Everett has lots of insight more towards people buying homes.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:14 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,331,815 times
Yes, they're safe towns.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:17 PM

I'd feel completely comfortable living in either Skokie or Des Plaines, I've never heard anyone mention either as having crime problems. I mentioned Skokie because it seems to have decent apartments in your budget, has a fair amount of transit options, is relatively close to where you work, has Old Orchard for movies / shopping and is relatively close to Evanston's downtown. I think you could do a lot worse!

Old 02-06-2015, 12:43 PM

thank you again, i will be looking into these areas. If anyone else has any ideas or suggestions I am more than open to hearing/reading them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs