Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 02:12 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,870,212 times

Advertisements

I think Naperville is over rated. Sure its nice but some people act like its the only nice suburb. There are many as nice or nicer than Naperville such as La Grange, Wheaton, Glen Ellyn, Hinsdale, etc. They are all nice too. Maybe they don't have the riverwalk but they might have other things to recommend them.

I agree Riverside is beautiful.

I think actually Cicero and Berwyn are under rated. Cicero is not as bad as you might think. I have been going in and out of there and due to what I heard I though it was like Englewood or something. Not true. Its not as bad as you might think it is. Its mostly a Hispanic suburb and has a higher crime rate but I feel safer there than in many places in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 03:22 PM

451 posts, read 460,846 times
Highwood/Ft Sheridan and St Charles are definitely underrated.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:05 AM

914 posts, read 1,126,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthera View Post
According to whom? Realtors in Northbrook and Deerfield?

Why not throw in Vernon Hills?
It doesn't help that wiki defines Northbrook as being North Shore.

From wiki page on Northbrook.

"Northbrook is a village on Chicago's affluent North Shore, located at the northern edge of Cook County, Illinois, United States."

Other than the confusion, I live in Northbrook, and North Shore or not, it's a fantastic place to live.

Old 06-17-2016, 06:24 AM

13 posts, read 20,549 times
I grew up in Lincolnwood and now live in Lake Forrest.

I'd say Lincolnwood is really underrated. The grade schools are excellent; the high school is technically average but there is a huge jump in quality of education from the regular classes to the Honors and AP classes -- people who made the effort to challenge themselves ended up doing very well in college. Its right by 94, 15 minutes from downtown with no traffic and by train. It was super safe. I would go on 2am walks almost daily during the summers and not fear for my safety at all. We had everything nearby; shopping, groceries, the beach, entertainment, downtown Chicago even. There is a good mix of affluent and middle class people which is something I liked. I realized it was underrated when I went to college and met people from the south and west suburbs who all seemed to either be under the impression its a bad neighborhood or had no idea what it was. One bad thing I have to say is idk if it was just my neighbors but the people are kind of unfriendly there, I guess since its so close to the city the city attitude carries over lol. So basically my only two complaints were 1) an average high school and 2) unfriendly neighbors. All the pluses to me more than made up for that.

Lake Forest to me is overrated. There is nothing do do here, but whats worse than that for me is the lack of decent grocery stores or places to eat. All they have is Heinen's which is overpriced and has no variety. I guess people who like isolation and community like it here, but I don't think that makes up for there being nothing to do. One major pro is its really pretty.

Also now that I go to Libertyville/Vernon Hills every weekend due to the lack of anything to do in Lake Forest, I must say those two areas are also really underrated. Libertyville is beautiful in the summer, affordable, friendly people, good shopping, and pretty good schools as well. I'm definitely going to raise my family there if I stay in Chicago.

For having one of the top schools in the country and being affordable with plenty of things to do, Lincolnshire is pretty underrated.

I don't really get the appeal of Naperville at all tbh and thats one I see thats highly recommended on here.

Last edited by letrie; 06-17-2016 at 07:52 AM..

Old 06-17-2016, 06:54 AM

13 posts, read 20,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Weird. I dont see how cities with burgeoning downtowns, beautiful homes, excellent nightlife, supreme safety, good PT, and excellent schools could be considered "overrated". But hey, who am I?
Naperville is definitely overrated.

Last edited by letrie; 06-17-2016 at 07:57 AM..

Old 06-17-2016, 11:03 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,148,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by letrie View Post

I'd say Lincolnwood is really underrated. The grade schools are excellent; the high school is technically average but there is a huge jump in quality of education from the regular classes to the Honors and AP classes -- people who made the effort to challenge themselves ended up doing very well in college. Its right by 94, 15 minutes from downtown with no traffic and by train. It was super safe. I would go on 2am walks almost daily during the summers and not fear for my safety at all. We had everything nearby; shopping, groceries, the beach, entertainment, downtown Chicago even. There is a good mix of affluent and middle class people which is something I liked. I realized it was underrated when I went to college and met people from the south and west suburbs who all seemed to either be under the impression its a bad neighborhood or had no idea what it was. One bad thing I have to say is idk if it was just my neighbors but the people are kind of unfriendly there, I guess since its so close to the city the city attitude carries over lol. So basically my only two complaints were 1) an average high school and 2) unfriendly neighbors. All the pluses to me more than made up for that.

Lake Forest to me is overrated. There is nothing do do here, but whats worse than that for me is the lack of decent grocery stores or places to eat. All they have is Heinen's which is overpriced and has no variety. I guess people who like isolation and community like it here, but I don't think that makes up for there being nothing to do. One major pro is its really pretty.

Also now that I go to Libertyville/Vernon Hills every weekend due to the lack of anything to do in Lake Forest, I must say those two areas are also really underrated. Libertyville is beautiful in the summer, affordable, friendly people, good shopping, and pretty good schools as well. I'm definitely going to raise my family there if I stay in Chicago.

For having one of the top schools in the country and being affordable with plenty of things to do, Lincolnshire is pretty underrated.

I don't really get the appeal of Naperville at all tbh and thats one I see thats highly recommended on here.
I would say Lincolnwood (Skokie) has above average high schools, but I agree - Lincolnwood is underrated.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:58 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,062,958 times
Quote:

Totally agree with you. I didn't grow up in Lincolnwood, but I went there a lot when I lived in the city. I still drive through there sometimes and it's still very nice and the towers neighborhood had beauty comparable ti the North Shore and even more than some parts of HP imo. Now, I live in Highland Park and agree there's barely anything to do and to go shopping you have to go to Vernon Hills/Libertyville. There are unfriendly people everywhere, but I think there's more in Lake Forest than in Lincolnwood. The new Mariano's in Northbrook has made me so happy that there's a good grocery store close by and now I don't have to drive twenty minutes to Costco ebery other day. There's talk about there being another portillos in Deerfield that's bden on and off, hopefully it happens.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:01 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,921,999 times
Default Sort of odd...

Quote:

While I too think that Lincolnwood is under-appreciated there are some other comments that just don't add up. When it comes to beaches the is no way that you can get from just about any part of Lincolnwood to a beach in under 15 minutes, and driving along Touhy (or worse taking a bus...) is hardly a pleasant experience. Though Chicago's Leone Beach is not very crowded by Chicago standards it is WAY MORE heavily used than Lake Forest's municipal beach AND the travel time from LITERALLY the farthest point in LF is shorter than most trips through Lincolnwood -- https://goo.gl/maps/ejz42rmbwnk

While I agree that LF is hardly "bustling" is would be silly to characterize Lincolnwood as other than a very low key suburb too, so again not sure what the point is...

Given the layout of Libertyville's core it is honest to say that there there is more to do than many other suburbs in Lake Co, but again saying that Naperville is overrated when it probably has at least 5x more spots to eat / have an adult beverage is just exceedingly misinformed to the point of being dishonest...

Pretty much anyone that wants to look at towns with very well regarded schools put Lincolnshire high on their list, but again its total lack of anything other than isolated little subdivisions puts it several notches down the list when compared to even Lake Forest, which does have a functional and attractive train-centric core, or even Lincolnwood, which at least has some clusters of dining / shopping along the arterials...

The folks that recommend Naperville generally do so with the caveat that there are big differences between the relatively small area that is walkably close to the extremely nice core of town and the rest of the town that does sprawl out. One could even say that about Libertyville, especially given the very sharp differences in even some of the more mature neighborhoods that, because of the weird lay out of roads and rails, are even more cut-off than in Naperville where most parts of town are at least on the same network of sub-arterials. I'd further point out that due to the very large distance and vastly different mix of employers in Lake Co vs DuPage / Kane / Will that separates Libertyville from Naperville there probably are not many situations where one would cross-shop the towns against each other...

Old 06-17-2016, 08:07 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,193,564 times
Of *course* Portillo's in coming to DF. You must have missed the memo-

Next Up for Portillo

This stuff doesn't happen overnight, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
There's talk about there being another portillos in Deerfield that's bden on and off, hopefully it happens.

Old 06-19-2016, 02:53 PM

90 posts, read 203,043 times
Glad you made this post so I didn't have to.

First, let's get into what underrated means in the context of towns/cities. Everyone has a different definition of it, but to me, underrated means that a suburb isn't given credit where its due.

To me, the most underrated suburbs of Chicago are West Chicago, Des Plaines, and Franklin Park. All three have low crime rates, decent schools, good services, good transportation, etc. But they aren't perfect.

Overrated? Naperville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs