Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 05:30 AM

3,468 posts, read 2,138,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drss01 View Post
#sorrynotsorry

Never said it was "best option", presented it as an option to look into, responding to the OP criteria they are looking for in a town near their employment.

There are 3bed homes in frankfort for 200k
You implied it was the best option by presenting it as the only option. Are these $200k 3 bedroom houses located in the excellent school district you speak of? Are they in a walkable location? How about the property taxes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 06:09 AM

I don't typically recommend NWI but I think this is a case where it makes a ton of sense. For a slightly longer commute you will find much more value at this price point than a place like Frankfort, especially once property taxes are figured in.

Specifically, I would look at a place like Munster.

Last edited by My Kind Of Town; 02-16-2015 at 06:28 AM..

Old 02-16-2015, 08:24 AM

172 posts, read 313,758 times
[quote=My Kind Of Town;38461122]You implied it was the best option by presenting it as the only option. Are these $200k 3 bedroom houses located in the excellent school district you speak of? Are they in a walkable location? How about the property taxes?[/QUOTE

Again nowhere in my postt says that "it's yiur best and only option" posts already were made listing a number of places and I added "frankfort" as another place to consider.
To answer your questions,
Yes they are in good school district. Frankfort as a whole is a carcentric town, except for downtown and and a bit of frankfort square. Any town that has a walkable core, as U know commands a higher price, as is the case in frankfort. However the walkable core is nearby, and there is a lot when it comes to trails, bike paths, that Run all the way downtown, and along hickory creek which runs throughout. Prop tax about 4k, many of the more modest homes are located in frankfort square, d-161 summit hill that feeds into district 210 lincolnway High schools. The more modest homes and townhouse are in and around frankfort square.

Come down, I'll buy dinner and show you around

http://www.illinoisreportcard.com/Sc...60991610022006

Last edited by drss01; 02-16-2015 at 08:50 AM..

Old 02-16-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
I don't typically recommend NWI but I think this is a case where it makes a ton of sense. For a slightly longer commute you will find much more value at this price point than a place like Frankfort, especially once property taxes are figured in.

Specifically, I would look at a place like Munster.
Munster is a good option however this would concern me:

Under mounting debt, Munster School Board cuts 50 jobs : Munster Community News

Furthermore it has no walkable core / downtown area at all.

Nice town.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:04 PM

[quote=drss01;38462186]
Quote:
You implied it was the best option by presenting it as the only option. Are these $200k 3 bedroom houses located in the excellent school district you speak of? Are they in a walkable location? How about the property taxes?[/QUOTE

Again nowhere in my postt says that "it's yiur best and only option" posts already were made listing a number of places and I added "frankfort" as another place to consider.
To answer your questions,
Yes they are in good school district. Frankfort as a whole is a carcentric town, except for downtown and and a bit of frankfort square. Any town that has a walkable core, as U know commands a higher price, as is the case in frankfort. However the walkable core is nearby, and there is a lot when it comes to trails, bike paths, that Run all the way downtown, and along hickory creek which runs throughout. Prop tax about 4k, many of the more modest homes are located in frankfort square, d-161 summit hill that feeds into district 210 lincolnway High schools. The more modest homes and townhouse are in and around frankfort square.

Come down, I'll buy dinner and show you around

DR JULIAN ROGUS SCHOOL | School Snapshot
Do you have an example of a current listing in Frankfort that meets this criteria? I'm sure OP would appreciate it.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Munster is a good option however this would concern me:

Under mounting debt, Munster School Board cuts 50 jobs : Munster Community News

Furthermore it has no walkable core / downtown area at all.

Nice town.
http://www.homes.com/property/8038-h...-600034839786/

walkable to a number of parks including Munster Community Park and Riverside Park, strip mall including Target, fast food options, etc., community center, and a reasonable walk (~1 mile) to local restaurants along Ridge (Giovanni's is my favorite in the area) as well as super quick access to I-80. All for less than $175k and $1500 in taxes...even if the school district performance takes a small step back as a result of budget cuts they will still be performing at a very high level relative to the region. To me, at the price point of less than $200k and work in University Park, it's difficult to find more value than Munster within a 30 min commute. $4k in taxes (for Frankfort) might not sound like much but it's still $200/month more than you'd find for a comparable home at this price point in Munster.

here's another, even more walkable than the one above. nice and updated. just over $200k but the taxes of less than $2k more than offset the slightly higher purchase price ($200/month less in property taxes amounts to an increase of ~$40k in buying power at today's rates)

http://www.homes.com/property/7949-j...-600034821505/

Last edited by My Kind Of Town; 02-16-2015 at 12:41 PM..

Old 02-16-2015, 03:55 PM

[quote=My Kind Of Town;38465531]http://www.homes.com/property/8038-h...-600034839786/

walkable to a number of parks including Munster Community Park and Riverside Park, strip mall including Target, fast food options, etc., community center, and a reasonable walk (~1 mile) to local restaurants along Ridge (Giovanni's is my favorite in the area) as well as super quick access to I-80. All for less than $175k and $1500 in taxes...even if the school district performance takes a small step back as a result of budget cuts they will still be performing at a very high level relative to the region. To me, at the price point of less than $200k and work in University Park, it's difficult to find more value than Munster within a 30 min commute. $4k in taxes (for Frankfort) might not sound like much but it's still $200/month more than you'd find for a comparable home at this price point in Munster.

here's another, even more walkable than the one above. nice and updated. just over $200k but the taxes of less than $2k more than offset the slightly higher purchase price ($200/month less in property taxes amounts to an increase of ~$40k in buying power at today's rates)

http://www.homes.com/property/7949-j...-600034821505/[/QUOTE

Well I was raised in munster indiana, and I graduated from
Munster high school, and I am on staff at munster community hosptial. I particularly don't think munster is "walkable" like a town with a walkable core/downtown area with bars, restaraunts, cafes, boutiques, shops, general stores, music instrument stores, law offices, real estate offices, gelato parlor, coffe shop Etc on streets that have more foot traffic then car traffic, buts that's just my opinion. Cant beat Munster on taxes, but neither can all of IL Unfortunately.

This home is in d157 and falls into ️well ranked lincoln way east

http://www.redfin.com/IL/Frankfort/5.../home/23310078

Again I think Munster is a nice town and a decent option for OP to add to their considerations. If they want to stay in IL, I still recommend franfkort as an option as well.

Old 02-16-2015, 04:16 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,064,363 times
Ha ha you both posted the links to the same property in Munster

Old 02-16-2015, 07:37 PM

[quote=drss01;38468461]
Quote:
http://www.homes.com/property/8038-h...-600034839786/

http://www.homes.com/property/7949-j...-600034821505/[/QUOTE

Well I was raised in munster indiana, and I graduated from
Munster high school, and I am on staff at munster community hosptial. I particularly don't think munster is "walkable" like a town with a walkable core/downtown area with bars, restaraunts, cafes, boutiques, shops, general stores, music instrument stores, law offices, real estate offices, gelato parlor, coffe shop Etc on streets that have more foot traffic then car traffic, buts that's just my opinion. Cant beat Munster on taxes, but neither can all of IL Unfortunately.

This home is in d157 and falls into ️well ranked lincoln way east

http://www.redfin.com/IL/Frankfort/5.../home/23310078

Again I think Munster is a nice town and a decent option for OP to add to their considerations. If they want to stay in IL, I still recommend franfkort as an option as well.
$4876 in property taxes for a house under $200k? I'm sorry but that's insane. Not to mention that it is listed "as is" meaning it likely requires significant work. I would be interested in seeing what the OP estimated for taxes when deciding upon a $175k - $200k budget.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:28 PM

[quote=My Kind Of Town;38471076]
Quote:

$4876 in property taxes for a house under $200k? I'm sorry but that's insane. Not to mention that it is listed "as is" meaning it likely requires significant work. I would be interested in seeing what the OP estimated for taxes when deciding upon a $175k - $200k budget.
Done beating this dead horse with you dude. I have no issue with munster. I was raised there. I personally just don't like NWI from a aesthetic /feel point of view, a different topic entirely.

The taxes is not a frankfort unique phenomenon.

Here is Orland park, cook county, massive retail for prop tax base

5k on taxes for 200 grand.

Here's downers grove, near train station. 200k
4k prop tax

http://www.redfin.com/IL/Downers-Gro.../home/18016448

http://www.redfin.com/IL/Orland-Park.../home/13022381

Naperville, 200k prop tax ~$4500
http://www.redfin.com/IL/Naperville/.../home/18071745

Last edited by drss01; 02-16-2015 at 08:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs