U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2006, 08:52 PM

8 posts, read 24,824 times

Advertisements

We're relocating to IL from Seattle for my husband's job and need to start house hunting! He will be covering all of WI and IL (usually by car) so we are shopping the suburbs. We're looking at homes online but it is hard to get an idea of the communities. Any thoughts on Glen Ellyn, Lombard, Addison? St. Charles and Geneva? Naperville? We've heard about the great schools in Naperville (and the traffic and congestion!) but were wondering about south Naperville where you still have the address but looks closer to Bolingbrook on the map! I know I'm all over the place but we're going house hunting next week and need to have a place to start looking! Any input would be helpful. (We're looking in the $500,000-$600,000 range, 1 child, one on the way...)
Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2006, 11:39 AM

2 posts, read 9,642 times
Try Schaumburg. Taxes are much lower in Cook County. Education is excellent! Every 4th, 5th, and 6th-grader in District 54 gets an IBook (Mac Laptop computer) which is checked out at the beginning of the year and all assignments are done on that. Furthermore, the Park District offerings are the most extensive I've seen. Finally, the Schaumburg Library is the Largest in Illinois outside of Chicago.

Old 12-06-2006, 04:17 PM

1 posts, read 3,552 times
Hi! I would highly recommend Glen Ellyn as a place to look for your new home. My family and I were in your shoes 9 years ago, moving from southern California. We only had one week to find a place to live and settled on a community southwest of Glen Ellyn. I sure wish that we had come here to begin with! The schools are great...the village has a real sense of community and volunteerism...a charming downtown with the high school and movie theatre dating back to the 1920's and a definite respect for it's past. (Glen Ellyn was founded in 1834.) There is an historic district of houses in the middle of town and there are many other historic homes scattered throughout the rest of the village. That being said, there are many options for housing, from downtown condominiums/townhouses, apartment rentals as well as houses of every size from modest to very large. There are numerous, well planned, well attended family events throughout the year for every occasion, i.e.: cardboard boat races and fireworks on Lake Ellyn on July 4th, halloween festivities, Christmas events downtown...you get the picture! I know that I sound like an employee of the village!...but I'm not! We just love it here. When you come to explore, just be sure to check out our little village of 27,000.

Old 12-06-2006, 04:40 PM

20,005 posts, read 67,960,131 times
Naperville rocks, and is nationally recognized (by CNN/Money magazine) as the #1 or #2 best place to live in the USA. However, traffic is horrid and taxes are obnoxious, but in your price range, you should have no problem affording it. There are LOTS of homes in your price range, and the neighborhoods are excellent. Schools are top rate and the city is also recognized in the "top 5 kid-friendliest" cities in the nation and also has ranked in the top 5 library systems. The downtown is lively and has LOTS to do for a smaller town. Its not Chicago, but its alot of fun in spite of that fact.

Other suburbs you might want to check out are Schaumburg, Glen Ellyn, Wheaton, Warrenville, Winfield, St. Charles, Geneva, Wasco, Lisle, Hinsdale, Barrington, Barrington Hills, Carol Stream, Bloomingdale. Those all have lots of homes in your price range, and all are not far from Chicago (minus St. Charles and Wasco).

Bolingbrook is growing like a weed, but is not as attractive as the above mentioned towns. All in all, I think Geneva has the most to offer for the cheapest price. Lots of shopping and it retains a small town feel.

Old 12-07-2006, 12:20 AM

111 posts, read 203,785 times
I lived in glen ellyn, and went to park view elementary and glen crest for middle school. Glen ellyn is safe, quiet, lower to upper middle class, and very bland.For houses in the 500,000 - 600,000 you will find an excellent variety. Dont get fooled by the over priced victorian style homes! Stick with the new stock homes.

Old 12-09-2006, 08:37 PM

196 posts, read 873,174 times
Bolingbrook is awesome. Th eonly people that are saying bad things have never lived there.
Just ask them!
Naper's think they are better yet read the blotter and crime in bolingbrook and they come from Naperville. How ironic is that?

Old 12-16-2006, 04:07 AM

65 posts, read 262,065 times
Thinking only about your husband covering all of Illinois and Wisconsin. If you husband will spend most of his time in Wisconsin I would suggest Barrington/ Lake Zurich. If your husband will spend more time in Illinois, I would suggest St. Charles or Naperville. At 500/600K, you can afford a home almost anywhere.

Old 12-16-2006, 10:48 AM

38,691 posts, read 86,811,612 times
If your husband needs quick access to Illinois and Wisconsin, I'd be looking in the North suburbs that sit right on the border like Antioch or Gurnee, or maybe even as far west as Woodstock to get away from the congestion and traffic (yet you have convenient access to Chicago from Woodstock via the Metra train line). Additionally, St. Charles and Geneva are on the edge of the suburbs (for now -- suburbia keep creeping westward) so it's a straight, uncongested shot to I-39 which then provides direct access to the interior of both states. For even quicker access to I-39, also consider Wasco which is even further west and feeds into the St. Charles school district.

Old 12-16-2006, 03:32 PM

2,816 posts, read 9,196,235 times
Do you like nice and quiet?
Close to Wisconsin, yet an easy drive to the access of Illinois?
Great people?
Good schools?
Shopping close by?
Nice homes in your price range?

Two words for you....
Crystal Lake

Lived there 3 years until transfer to Georgia. Traffic was only a pain since I commuted every day to Schaumburg. Outside of that, it was great. I would travel from Green Bay to Anna, IL on a monthly basis, had to be downtown also and the train was right there.
Crime was low, the little downtown was Norman Rockwell.
Woodstock was right up the road (Groundhog Day was filmed there)

I have lived in many places during my career plus military.

IMHO, Crystal Lake, Illinois was one of the best, quality, places I have ever lived in my life.

Good Luck

Old 12-27-2006, 08:44 PM

17 posts, read 77,111 times
Take a look at Roscoe or Rockton IL these towns are close to Wisconsin border and have a great school district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs