U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 02:57 PM

28,383 posts, read 67,919,335 times

Advertisements

Maybe if the professor grew up in Manhattan it reminds them of home. With the high income of NU professors they don't need to care about trivial concerns of the proletariat...

The time on market stats speak for themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 03:14 PM

15,287 posts, read 16,833,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2357 View Post
chet, that house you suggest is NOT in a good area. This is simply incomparable to the apt location. And, since you decided to make assumptions re the professor -- its not a visiting academic transient. We are talking a tenured professor and a highly respected person whose family loves taking advantage of the walkability of Evanston downtown, minus the constant needs to work on the house. Sounds like OP's values match. Of course the OP will have many more options come March/April, even though the great ones will not linger long.
I agree about the house. It would not be really walkable to much of anything even though it is close to Church St. It does have a nice big backyard though which is hard to come by in Evanston. It is too close to the only area where there have been shootings in Evanston (Foster and Brown and near the high school on Dodge ave.)

Old 04-26-2015, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I would listen to the local real estate agent.

Evanston is not Chicago and even Chicago is not Manhattan. The kind of people that rent in building like these in this area are often in two camps -- short term folks going through a life transition and older people that will end up in a care type facility.

Families with school aged children rarely choose to own in a buildings like these in a town like Evanston. I have no reason to believe this will change. Folks drawn to the "excitement of urban living" would quickly grow weary of chains like Chilis, Jimmy Johns or even uninspired local chains like Las Palmas. Things are far different in desirable part of Chicago.

If you cannot afford a more family suited place you might be better off renting as many folks experience a net loss on ownership of condos like these.
I recently bought in one of the Evanston downtown high rises. I have been living in Evanston since 2000 and I'm looking forward to moving to a more walkable neighborhood. Evanston will always have the chains you mentioned and a few cheap places to appeal to students, but there are some fantastic independent restaurants downtown as well.

My only issue with the area is that I hope to get a dog someday and downtown seems to lack a grassy area to walk a dog.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:12 PM

15,287 posts, read 16,833,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherylG123 View Post
I recently bought in one of the Evanston downtown high rises. I have been living in Evanston since 2000 and I'm looking forward to moving to a more walkable neighborhood. Evanston will always have the chains you mentioned and a few cheap places to appeal to students, but there are some fantastic independent restaurants downtown as well.

My only issue with the area is that I hope to get a dog someday and downtown seems to lack a grassy area to walk a dog.
There are many independent restaurants in Evanston, not just chains. You are correct. Olive Mountain (not to be confused with Olive Garden which is a chain) is one of my favorites for Middle Eastern food.

Evanston, Illinois | 2015

As for walking a dog, you can go to the Lakefront. There is even a dog beach, though it closes in the winter.
Dog Beach - Lakefront & Beaches | City of Evanston

Old 04-27-2015, 10:20 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,050,382 times
I'm not sure how chain restaurants in Evanston is any different than the rest of Chicago. The city itself is seemingly overloaded with chain restaurants, shops, etc.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:49 AM

6,308 posts, read 4,767,382 times
Quote:
You do not see the Chilis? The Jimmy Johns? Give me a break! I was in downtown Evanston just the other day and it is NOTHING like Chicago Gold Coast or Lincoln Park! It is NEVER going to be as hip as someplace like Wicker Park.

The "Optima" building is convenient to the the NU campus and it would absolutely make sense for someone like a VISTING PROFESSOR in transition to consider it but ANY real estate professional ought to be able to produce reams of data going back decades that show condo ownership in towns like Evanston is NOT a good long term strategy.

The OP probably looked at this unit -- http://www.redfin.com/IL/Evanston/15.../home/12704422
The redfin agent feedback is telling -- That is from somebody that would BENEFIT from selling the place. Says alot...

That a look at time on market for these places -- there is no one clamoring to buy these units! Some have been sitting on the market for going on SIX MONTHS! They carry a HOA assement of almost $500/mo DO THE MATH! With the high property tax and the assement you are BLEEDING OUT something close to TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS A YEAR for a place that is NOT GOING TO GET MORE VALUABLE! Why? Take a look at this photo -- the goofy layout of this building means people on their balcony can practially TOUCH YOUR LIVING ROOM -- http://www.redfin.com/IL/Evanston/15...photoSlideShow
Chet, WHAT'S UP WITH THE SOLID CAPS? Evanston has much more to offer than chain restaurants. Within a block or two of Optima are Pete Miller's, Le Bordeaux, Trattoria Demi, Little Mexican Cafe, Mount Everest (Indian/Nepali), the Celtic Knot, the Stained Glass and the gastropub behind the Stained Glass, the Farmhouse, Found, and a gazillion other upscale and/or charming joints.

That said, Optima is not considered a topnotch builder, and people buying in Optima are almost certainly looking for a bargain.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:22 PM

237 posts, read 191,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Chet, WHAT'S UP WITH THE SOLID CAPS? Evanston has much more to offer than chain restaurants. Within a block or two of Optima are Pete Miller's, Le Bordeaux, Trattoria Demi, Little Mexican Cafe, Mount Everest (Indian/Nepali), the Celtic Knot, the Stained Glass and the gastropub behind the Stained Glass, the Farmhouse, Found, and a gazillion other upscale and/or charming joints.

That said, Optima is not considered a topnotch builder, and people buying in Optima are almost certainly looking for a bargain.
I agree. I was quite taken aback at Chet's post - and what he based it on. Bangers & Lace, Smylie's brewpub, Peckish Pig brewpub, Ten Mile House, Found, Farmhouse, Boltwood, World Of Beer, Temperance brewery, LYFE kitchen, FEW distillery - these are places I would rate as topnotch (trendy, decor, food, drink options, whichever way you look at it) places that would compare to any place in downtown Chicago. Not even including the many other smaller places and older more established places.

Does Evanston have a bit of an identity crisis? Yes, I think so. In fact, it has been interesting to note that some of the middle of the road restaurants have not done well. The trendy ones, even the pricey ones, on the other hand, have been doing really well.

Another interesting thing to note is Evanston downtown itself. Unlike most downtowns, a significant number of buildings and highrises are not offices but residential instead. There are still quite a few people who commute to Chicago downtown, but compared to most other suburbs where almost everyone drives to downtown or somewhere else, or takes the Metra to go downtown, Evanston is a mix. There are people who do that. But there are plenty others who work locally as well - in NU or Northshore hospital or in some of the offices in Evanston downtown. So it really is a mixed bag.

To be honest, it is difficult to put a finger on what Evanston really is and what it is turning into. Not a commuter town like most other suburbs, not hipsterville, not as grungy as other parts of Chicago, still not as conventional as the other suburbs up North, not a full fledged downtown in terms of offices and companies and jobs.. yet. Somewhat a mix of everything.

But bottomline is - comparing it to most other suburbs is meaningless as the factors are really quite different. And it is pricey (and is not a superstar school district) so there is that too. But you also get waterfront and lake and good beaches. So there.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:36 AM

5,051 posts, read 5,980,993 times
Quote:
Folks drawn to the "excitement of urban living" would quickly grow weary of chains like Chilis, Jimmy Johns or even uninspired local chains like Las Palmas.
gee, chet, I have to wonder if chain restaurants thrive in downtown Evanston thrive for the same reason they do in downtowns in Madison, Iowa City, Bloomington, and Ann Arbor…….all which also have fabulous independently owned, innovative restaurants in quantity as well as quality.

Old 05-10-2015, 05:51 AM

6,308 posts, read 4,767,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asliarun View Post
To be honest, it is difficult to put a finger on what Evanston really is and what it is turning into.
A very nice small city - part college town, part ritzy North Shore suburb.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:19 AM

13 posts, read 14,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asliarun View Post
I agree. I was quite taken aback at Chet's post - and what he based it on. Bangers & Lace, Smylie's brewpub, Peckish Pig brewpub, Ten Mile House, Found, Farmhouse, Boltwood, World Of Beer, Temperance brewery, LYFE kitchen, FEW distillery - these are places I would rate as topnotch (trendy, decor, food, drink options, whichever way you look at it) places that would compare to any place in downtown Chicago. Not even including the many other smaller places and older more established places.
Evanston has the best selection of restaurants compared to other suburbs. Some of them, like Farmhouse (Delicious!), Hoosier Mama Pies, and LYFE have Chicago locations. My wife and I also want to try Boltwood as we've heard that's also great.

Even though Naperville, where I reside, has twice as many residents, I feel that downtown Evanston is quite exciting and heading in the right direction. Patisserie Coralie, Hewn Bread and Paramour Bungalow are also great Evanston cafe's/store that most other suburbs don't have, or at least not at that level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or