Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 12:18 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,626,695 times

Advertisements

Madison, WI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 12:25 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,928,817 times
Default Agreed! But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Madison, WI.

Madison WI is one of the nicest college towns in the midwest. Since it is also home to the State Capital and there are several major employers in the insurance / finance / medical products / health care sectors it has a very solid employment base.

If the OP truly will be inspecting rail lines that travese the Chicago metro region I suspect that the "3 hr limit" would be violated heading closer to Lake Michigan and south of Chicago. If the travel happened during rush hour or during winter storms that would be 5 hrs or more...

Old 02-24-2015, 12:34 PM

Madison is 2.5 hours away from the Loop. And if you want to avoid I-90, you can just take I-39 to I-88 for a 15 minute time penalty.

I suppose it could theoretically take 5 hours in a really poorly-timed rush hour snow storm, but I have to think that railroad inspectin' may not be happening in those conditions anyway.

If I had this kind of flexibility, I would live in Madison (or perhaps Middleton?). But that's just me, as I have a lot of ties to that town and many family members and friends in that area.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:53 PM

Default Thinking less of the Loop than the whole "regional rail hub"...

Quote:
Madison is 2.5 hours away from the Loop. And if you want to avoid I-90, you can just take I-39 to I-88 for a 15 minute time penalty.

I suppose it could theoretically take 5 hours in a really poorly-timed rush hour snow storm, but I have to think that railroad inspectin' may not be happening in those conditions anyway.

If I had this kind of flexibility, I would live in Madison (or perhaps Middleton?). But that's just me, as I have a lot of ties to that town and many family members and friends in that area.
I am thinking less of the Loop than a schedule that requires the OP's husband to spend

Monday in Calumet City looking at rails. Tuesday in Shorewood doing the same. Wednessday in Elburn. Thursday in Mokena. Friday in Rondout.

I gotta think the bosses are gonna grow weary paying for mileage from Wisconsin daily. I also think all those southern areas with just an occiasional nothern depot to check out (becuase there are more spots connected to Chicago via rail south & west than north) are gonna make for late suppers...

My gut says the transfer happened because the bosses want somebody CENTRAL to the Chicago region...

Old 02-24-2015, 01:07 PM

Berkley or Franklin Park then.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:09 PM

Default I know you are joking, but for the OP...

Quote:
Berkley or Franklin Park then.

Those towns have HUGE rail yards in em as well as lots of industry. There are some modest homes there too, nothing wrong with 'em, but probably not the more rural kind of feel the OP would prefer...

Old 02-24-2015, 02:13 PM

61 posts, read 86,804 times
Thanks again For the record, we really can live wgerever, the chicago rail is shared. We don't even have to move from Michigan of we didn't want to, he would just be gone much more often which we don't want. it seems that anywhere in dekalb, Kane, or Kendall counties would be central and allow us a slightly higher pay rate.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:24 PM

If you can consider Wisconsin there really are lots of upsides to Madison...

Old 02-24-2015, 04:32 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,063,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
In the greater NW / fringe-rural area I think Cary-Grove (that serves Cary & Pinegree Grove) is superior -- CARY-GROVE COMMUNITY HIGH SCHOOL: School Profile
Fox River Grove.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:56 PM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,343,357 times
Why not consider the Bloomington Normal/Peoria area? Some large employers and a few big headquarters like State Farm Insurance and Caterpillar (which just announced they are expanding their presence in Peoria). Several universities (Illinois State, Illinois Wesleyan, Bradley, etc.) and decent schools, at least in Bloomington Normal. And easy access to I55, I74, and I39 to get where you need to go. BN is less than 2 hours from the western burbs and Peoria a little more than that.

If 3 hours is a possibility, I think those are more reasonable options than Madison WI and probably offer more variety in housing given all the corporate executives and college administrators living there on the high end and the many middle class areas populated by all of the employees at these large employers. You can get a more urban, more rural, or more university town feel within a 15 minute drive.

Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs