Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 11:08 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,508,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vester72 View Post
I love the town for a few reasons - while there is lots of new construction, there are strict rules on lot sizes and housing materials so there are very large lots and brick/stone homes - the minimum size for a first floor of a ranch is 3,000 sq ft and for a multi-level home 2,200 sq ft for the first floor (somewhere in that ballpark). It's close to Orland Park for a TON of retail (Tinley Park too, as well as right next to New Lenox where an incredible amount of retail is going in due to the 355 extension), but not too close to get all the traffic.

Another great point (for me at least) are the bike trails (meaning bike/running/walking paths) - there are building a new trail in the spring as well to connect the whole village - you can get to downtown from all the subdivisions - the main trail is the Old Plank Road Trail. The biggest plus is the downtown (Historic Frankfort). It is an old, restored area with parks, restaurants, bike rentals, beer gardens, etc. Great for festivals, fireworks and just spending family time. No, I did not grow up here and I do not work for the village in any way

While it is growing fast, it still is easy to get around and there is a lot to do with the village doing a great job planning and not filling the area with cookie-cutter stores or homes. Also, there are very few rentals (no offense meant to renters). It's right off the 355 extension for a quick drive to Oak Brook and that area for more shopping. My thing is I have lived in the city for 13 years and wanted a nice, bustling suburb with a nice downtown area/parks BUT without the traffic and crowds of a Naperville/Downers Grove/Arlington Heights, etc - and new, big homes for a great value (compared to an Oak Brook/Downers/Hinsdale/Barrington, etc).

But, there are a lot of beautiful towns like this and Geneva is great as well, I am biased toward Frankfort, but love Geneva too.

About the traffic comment... Lets not all forget that 20 years ago Orland and Tinley Park both were rather rural and many people often asked, "whats with the roads all being 4 lanes??? Nobody lives out here" LOL! What a difference 20 years makes. Today the traffic in both towns is much like traffic on Long Island (heavy, loaded with aggressive drivers, moving... but bumper to bumper, stoplights every other block, etc). That being said, those that are saying things like, "oh move to New Lenox or Frankfort because the traffic is no where near as bad as Orland or Tinley..." Oh ya? WAIT. There is no money in the state's budget to widen the little 2 lane farm roads, yet developers are going hog wild out there introducing tens of thousands of people into a once rural area, meaning what? Tens of thousands of more cars onto roads that were originally built for tractors and buggies! LOL! Have fun getting around out there in 2020.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 03:32 PM

16 posts, read 80,090 times
Oh god---I couldn't even imagine doing that everyday Yikes! Like someone said before, thats definitely not worth it.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:41 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,508 times
Actually, there'll be no problem with living in Geneva. Your husband will simply need to get an apartment in Manhattan, and he can visit the family on weekends and holidays.

Other then that, forget it.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:25 PM

10 posts, read 26,116 times
Frankfort is a nice place to raise a family. The opening of the 355 has been a great asset. Builders went a little crazy the last couple of years and now they are paying the price. I wish my crystal ball told me to what 2 years before buying here because there are some great buys right now.

Last edited by mdz; 03-12-2008 at 06:25 AM.. Reason: no direct advertising, please
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs