U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2015, 01:28 PM

6 posts, read 6,076 times

Advertisements

I wonder if anyone would know the history of the rather small Central Stickney. This is an unincorporated area bounded by 43rd Street, Laramie Avenue, 51st Street, and Harlem Avenue. I have been researching three questions. The first, why this rather small community remains as an unincorporated area. Second, how unincorporated area provides services to its residents. Lastly, Central Stickney is one of six communities within Stickney Township, but I do not know when it became a part of the township. I would appreciate comments or suggestions about where to find out more about the area, beside of course, the local libraries and historical societies. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 06:21 PM

10,619 posts, read 12,090,670 times
Only about 6000 people live in Stickney. After all, how many want to live near the world's largest sewage plant? I think it was named for a railroad executive. During the 20's Al Capone allegedly had a few houses of ill fame.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:17 PM

1,191 posts, read 962,460 times
Central Stickney is so small that if you look it up on google maps, it doesn't come up. It shares pretty much everything with Stickney.

Stickney-Forest View Public Library District

Old 03-01-2015, 10:19 AM

6 posts, read 6,076 times
Thanks for the comments. My inquiry is regarding Central Stickney, not the Village of Stickney or Stickney Township. As I mentioned above, Central Stickney is one of six communities within Stickney Township (including the Village of Stickney).
For a couple of years now, a group of community and academic organizations have been conducting a health assessment in the area from 12th Street, Cicero Road, 59th Street, and Harlem Avenue. Five of the six communities in this area have some form of government, except for Central Stickney (http://www.chana-project.org/chana2014/]).
From 1990 to 2010, the population in the community grew by 27.0 percent, and in 2008-2012, it had an average of 3,088 residents. Although the population in the area is considerable, I wonder about services to area residents. I think the story may have something to do with the annexation of towns and villages to Chicago, but thus far, I have not been able to locate a historical account of the lack of incorporation. I will share the results from the search with forum members. Thanks again.

Last edited by CHANA-Project; 03-01-2015 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: Edited the url for the CHANA Project

Old 08-31-2016, 01:15 PM

1 posts, read 587 times
I want to know what street start and ends central sticney

Old 08-31-2016, 03:02 PM

183 posts, read 79,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHANA-Project View Post
This is an unincorporated area bounded by 43rd Street, Laramie Avenue, 51st Street, and Harlem Avenue.

According to google maps, it isn't quite a square like was stated by the OP. Google maps points to a 'central stickney fire protection district.' I don't know if they have an association that handles plowing and other street maintenance.

As far as police protection goes, in cook county the sheriffs office has jurisdiction.

Toni Preckwinkle has gone on record stating to save money, she would like to see the unincorporated areas incorporate into neighboring villages. Toni Preckwinkle's plan to end unincorporated areas exposes division in far-flung neighborhoods - tribunedigital-chicagotribune

Old 02-01-2017, 02:09 PM

1 posts, read 236 times
Sorry to whoever put that map up. Stickney Township HAD a boundary from 39th st(Pershing) to 87th st, from Harlem Ave to Cicero Ave.
Broke up when Chicago took a big bite out of it, Bedford Park incorporated and so did Burbank even though the two, Burbank and Bedford Park are still under Stickney Twnsp. Stickney Village is a small incorporated are north of I-55 to 39th st, Cicero to Harlem with Forest View bordering it.
Unincorporated Central Stickney remains under Stickney Twnsp and because of the strong political field running it, none of the 3 city/villages surrounding it are afraid of the political machine.
Actually, the old town hall of the original Stickney Township still stands on 63rd st just a block or two west of Central Ave in Chicago on the south side of the street.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:56 PM

1 posts, read 188 times
Default The little red school house in Stickney

Is anyone old enough to remember or maybe you've heard about the little red school house?

My parents, aunts and uncles all lived in Stickney when they were kids. They were very poor but none of them knew they were poor because they were just like the other children.

I could write a book about all the stories I've heard when I was a child from my parents, aunts and uncles.

My uncle was in school when he glanced out the window and saw the house his family lived in being towed down the street. He had no idea where the house was being taken or why!!!! I asked him how he found the house and he said he said after school he just got on his bike and kept looking till he found it.
My Grandma wouldn't leave the house so she stayed inside while it was being towed.

If anyone has memories they'd like to share, I'd love hearing them!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs