Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 09:57 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times

Advertisements

Some areas yes...my town no prices not recovered very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 11:20 AM

18 posts, read 40,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Probably true. Though as a resident of a more westerly Yuppieville, you can easily argue that these suburbs have a lot more to offer than "segregation from the 'poors'". There are many reasons that each of these towns became "Yuppieville" in the first place--and I don't think lack of proximity to poor people is even in the top ten. In fact, Oak Park is directly adjacent to one of the most poverty-stricken crime-ridden neighborhoods in America. La Grange is a five minute drive from poor neighborhoods. River Forest is across a bridge from Maywood.
They're fine with poor people as long as Junior doesn't have to go to school with too many of them and they don't have to see them when they look out the windows of their McMansion. Well, they might SEE them in some cases, but there are generally buffer zones around the 'undesirable' areas of town and rough surrounding suburbs. And if they're in charge of Elmhurst, they build a hospital on top of the undesirable area and make sure the unincorporated section on the other side of the tollway stays that way.

Old 03-10-2015, 03:04 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times
Quote:
Probably true. Though as a resident of a more westerly Yuppieville, you can easily argue that these suburbs have a lot more to offer than "segregation from the 'poors'". There are many reasons that each of these towns became "Yuppieville" in the first place--and I don't think lack of proximity to poor people is even in the top ten. In fact, Oak Park is directly adjacent to one of the most poverty-stricken crime-ridden neighborhoods in America. La Grange is a five minute drive from poor neighborhoods. River Forest is across a bridge from Maywood.
Oh come on, you know it's at least in the top 10. Oak Park and La Grange may be near to or adjacent to poor areas but, with their property taxes and property values, there might as well be a moat around them.

I'm sure many here won't like to admit it but the man has a point, as direct and un-PC as that point may have been stated. To ignore that is to ignore a major social issue that continues to persist in the nation as a whole and Chicago in particular.

Old 03-10-2015, 03:16 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
I'm sure many here won't like to admit it but the man has a point, as direct and un-PC as that point may have been stated. To ignore that is to ignore a major social issue that continues to persist in the nation as a whole and Chicago in particular.
I encourage you both to sacrifice your kids' safety and future prospects by enrolling them in a terrible public elementary school in a poor neighborhood then. There are equivalent "moats" around CPS schools like Nettlehorst, Burley, or Blaine, so those won't do. Private school is basically the same barrier.

Old 03-10-2015, 03:28 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times
Quote:
I encourage you both to sacrifice your kids' safety and future prospects by enrolling them in a terrible public elementary school in a poor neighborhood then. There are equivalent "moats" around CPS schools like Nettlehorst, Burley, or Blaine, so those won't do. Private school is basically the same barrier.
I think that's a bit over dramatic. In any case, today, 51.5% of all Illinois elementary school students are low income. That number is up 15 percentage points compared to the start of the last decade. In what direction do you think that number is going to continue to go? Hint -- it hasn't gone down, once, since 2000. Eventually, your moat will have to get pretty deep. I think not addressing it is more of a risk to safety and future prospects.

Old 03-10-2015, 03:59 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
It was overly dramatic to paint everyone who lives in a more expensive suburb as a yuppie who is afraid of poor people. Most human parents, when given the choice, will do what they think is best for their families. It's a harder sell to get people to sacrifice their family's well being for the "social good". I know very few people who are willing to do that. And it drives me nuts when people who live in a nice North Side neighborhood of Chicago cast stones, when they are guilty of exactly the same sort of child cloistering with "flipped CPS schools" or private schools.

My kids' school in the "Yuppie" suburb I live in is 22% low income. They are getting a great education there so far, and don't seem to me to be cloistered away from society. Classroom disruptions are kept to a minimum.

The same can't be said for many of the CPS schools that are 90%+ low income. Kids aren't getting educated there, and the problems go far beyond classroom spending. I agree the society issues that cause this need to be addressed, but it's not going to be a five or ten year horizon... We're looking at generational increments.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:06 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,706,460 times
If Chicagoland was a single stock I'd be selling. Trends are not positive overall economically. But if the upper class suburbs were a mutual fund (Naperville, Wilmette, Deerfield, Glen Ellyn etc) I would buy. The blue chip areas are solid but as I've said before there are way better areas for middle class families. I hope for all my friends and family here in Chicagoland that they climb the ladder high enough to be secure. But Chicagoland is on the cusp economically for negative economic growth.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:35 PM

18 posts, read 40,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
In any case, today, 51.5% of all Illinois elementary school students are low income. That number is up 15 percentage points compared to the start of the last decade.
Which is actually a 40% increase from the previous figure. If there's another 40% increase by 2020, the amount of low-income students could rise to 70%. That's 5 years away. The affluent 'moated' suburbs that surround Chicago better start raising their property taxes even faster so they can afford an increase in the law enforcement budget. They certainly aren't interested in sharing their schools with these kids.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:08 PM

173 posts, read 266,721 times
Sounds like somebody made a bad investment and now has sour grapes

Old 03-10-2015, 09:12 PM

165 posts, read 309,731 times
Where do you live Roger?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs