Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 11:23 AM

148 posts, read 302,375 times

Advertisements

You guys really attacked this poster. Nothing wrong with safety or driving in the city, I live in NYC and drive everyday, I don't think he said anything about race either, all he said was he didn't want a place with poor ghetto people, if not wanting to be around hood rats makes someone a bad person I guess I'm satan.

Also since when does white = no culture. I live in a completely white area with tons of culture.

To the OP: find an English basement in the SW burbs or in the far NW. Also in city limits areas like Norwood Park, Dunning, or Edison Park, there isn't many buildings there (which is WHY they are nice, sorry but it's true) but there are a few and they aren't that expensive.

What's with all the anti suburb and anti white people crap on this site?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 11:33 AM

44 posts, read 134,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephM1994 View Post
You guys really attacked this poster. Nothing wrong with safety or driving in the city, I live in NYC and drive everyday, I don't think he said anything about race either, all he said was he didn't want a place with poor ghetto people, if not wanting to be around hood rats makes someone a bad person I guess I'm satan.

Also since when does white = no culture. I live in a completely white area with tons of culture.

To the OP: find an English basement in the SW burbs or in the far NW. Also in city limits areas like Norwood Park, Dunning, or Edison Park, there isn't many buildings there (which is WHY they are nice, sorry but it's true) but there are a few and they aren't that expensive.

What's with all the anti suburb and anti white people crap on this site?
I thought this guy was a troll at first, but after being attacked for wanting a racially diverse area instead of a white flight area (crazy intolerant me lol), I feel his pain. My issue was that he didn't get that Metra does not bring in the same element as the CTA. He seemed to think all public transportation brought in crime, and in reality Metra is simply too expensive for most of that element to ride. The CTA, on the other hand, is like $2.25 so anyone can afford it. I take the Blue line at 6am, and at that time it's all workers heading into the Loop or O'Hare. If I work a later shift, I leave work at 8PM and it's a COMPLETELY different crowd. Much more begging, loud talking, even smoking on the train sometimes!

My advice for him would be to have his sister move to Lisle or Naperville where she could rent a cheap studio in Four Lakes (beautiful apartment and condo complex with many singles and amenities) and have the option of a long terrible drive or a nice 30 minute express train into the city. His sister will come to her senses after a couple weeks of driving to and from the Loop every day.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongchicagoland View Post
I thought this guy was a troll at first, but after being attacked for wanting a racially diverse area instead of a white flight area (crazy intolerant me lol), I feel his pain. My issue was that he didn't get that Metra does not bring in the same element as the CTA. He seemed to think all public transportation brought in crime, and in reality Metra is simply too expensive for most of that element to ride. The CTA, on the other hand, is like $2.25 so anyone can afford it. I take the Blue line at 6am, and at that time it's all workers heading into the Loop or O'Hare. If I work a later shift, I leave work at 8PM and it's a COMPLETELY different crowd. Much more begging, loud talking, even smoking on the train sometimes!

My advice for him would be to have his sister move to Lisle or Naperville where she could rent a cheap studio in Four Lakes (beautiful apartment and condo complex with many singles and amenities) and have the option of a long terrible drive or a nice 30 minute express train into the city. His sister will come to her senses after a couple weeks of driving to and from the Loop every day.
It's totally fine if you wanna live in a "diverse" area, or a black area, or Mexican, or Cambodian but if someone wants to live in a mostly white area that's their choice as well and there really is not an issue with that at all: I don't see why it's such a problematic concept to some people. I will be honest, I prefer living in an area where I am not a minority and if my area gets to the point where I am or will be one soon, I don't have an issue moving. It's a matter of comfort and cultural preference and it's completely valid. I have to be comfortably where I'm living, and I see no point paying to live somewhere that I for any reason deal uncomfortable or out casted. People shouldn't make decisions about where they are going to spend the majority of their time and the biggest proportion of their income on, based on fear of being called a racist. Racial/ethnic enclaves exist because enough people want to live in them, obviously someone who wants to live in a mostly white/Mexican/black/Asian area is not an outlier or these communities wouldn't exist to begin with.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:11 PM

196 posts, read 302,344 times
Did you guys (Lifelong and Joseph) read his posts in the "Diversity in No. Mich" topic ?

OP "Hello. I want to know what people think a black family considering a move to Traverse City or Petoskey should expect when they arrive. "

MaxfromAss "It's a gorgeous part of the country, please don't ruin it." "...I do not want to see it become one of Michigans failed cities. The OP might be great, but she will start a chain reaction where many of her not so great peers follow her, the inhabitants leave, and it becomes North Detroit on the lake.." "No problem with good honest black people however they are a minority within a minority." "They can move wherever they want. I was almost begging them not to ruin such a wonderful place. " "Well I know what happens when an area 'diversifies'" "Listen, besides the liberals and urbanistas who have commandeered this forum, most white people don't want black neighbors." "They can do whatever they want, I hope they don't ruin such a lovely place and I hope they know to expect a degree of hostility and are comfortable living where they aren't wanted."

You honestly don't think MaxfromAss isn't bigoted/racist?????

Old 03-24-2015, 05:46 PM

Regardless of his other posts, I answered this one. I am not the city data police. Even if this doesn't help him, maybe my answer will assist someone else looking to find a nice and safe suburb. It's not my job to decide if he's a racist.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:33 PM

44 posts, read 134,329 times
I didn't read all his posts, but was referring to this one. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs