Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 11:33 AM

3 posts, read 3,402 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to the area because of job (in North Chicago) and looking for a place to live somewhere between my job and Chicago. Here's the list of what I have in mind:

- Willing to drive 30-40 min to work (in North Chicago)
- Access (walk or short drive) to downtown area that has Metra stops, shops, and restaurants
- Access to park or green spaces where you can take a walk for ~30 min after work
- School is NOT important but safety IS
- Towns where home value is likely to appreciate over time in case I might have to relocate again
- Family of 2 (+1 in the summer)
- Dwelling type: townhouse, rowhouse, single-family home, but NOT condo (looking for 1,200-2,500 sf)
- Old constructions like Victorian or brownstone appeal to us
- Budget: ~$500K

After some cursory research, I was able to identify such towns like Highland Park, Wilmette, Evanston, Arlington Heights, and Park Ridge. What are the pros and cons of each town? How are the towns like Buffalo Grove, Northbrook, Glenview, Morton Grove, Palatine, etc.? Could you add your favorite if it's not listed here and explain why?

Thanks a bunch in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 11:51 AM

20 posts, read 55,514 times
Congrats! I'm expecting a little one later this year myself

You can cross Morton Grove off your list immediately. I think Evanston fits your criteria the best, especially with the "older construction" part. The other suburbs tend to have more 1950s-60s homes.

Evanston is more urban - it has a large downtown area, two other cute "mini" downtown areas, Metra trains, el trains, access to the lake, beaches, lots of parks. Evanston is a forum favorite on here, but you will definitely get more for your money in other suburbs.

I like Glenview. It has two downtown areas. The village is currently attempting to revitalize the older downtown area, which at the moment is nothing exciting, but it could be? The second area is known as the "Glen" and has lots of nice shops and restaurants. It also has my favorite park in the area - Gallery Park. It's gorgeous, I love running around the little lake there

Old 03-13-2015, 12:09 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,082,003 times
The towns with the best downtowns in that area are Evanston, Highland Park, and Libertyville. These towns have a good amount of old homes, especially Highland Park and Evanston.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:15 PM

3 posts, read 3,402 times
Oops... my bad! I meant "+1 in the summer" to be "+1 in summers." In other words, my child comes home from school during summers. We're empty nesters and trying to downsize during this relo.

How's the commute from Evanston/Glenview to North Chicgo? Google Maps says ~35 min but perhaps it doesn't know what it's talking about.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:21 PM

20 posts, read 55,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a60064 View Post
Oops... my bad! I meant "+1 in the summer" to be "+1 in summers." In other words, my child comes home from school during summers. We're empty nesters and trying to downsize during this relo.

How's the commute from Evanston/Glenview to North Chicgo? Google Maps says ~35 min but perhaps it doesn't know what it's talking about.
Hah, I realize now how that could be interpreted in a few different ways.
Congrats on being empty nesters then! We are years away from that

Old 03-14-2015, 05:36 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,894,530 times
Libertyville comes to mind. Evanston and Highland Park have the advantage of Metra service to North Chicago.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:44 AM

Libertyville is also only a 15 minute drive to North Chicago

Old 03-14-2015, 12:13 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,706,186 times
Deerfield has a downtown but it's newer and not as quaint as HP or Libertyville.

Old 03-14-2015, 01:58 PM

Deerfield has a very small downtown and it doesn't have metra service to North Chicago.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:46 PM

35 posts, read 71,107 times
As mentioned, Highland Park seems like a good option - superior downtown and commute vs. Wilmette / North Evanston, and you can get more for your money there than Wilmette/Evanston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs