Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 08:38 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert student View Post
Wasco was beautiful, now it is not! So long Wasco, and indeed R.I.P.
Wasco was beautiful? Maybe landscape wise, but not housing. Have you seen the older homes in town? Looks like something youd find in Rock Falls. I think, as a whole, the town is EONS more attractive than what it used to be (rotted old farms and dilapidated houses).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 09:55 AM

52 posts, read 190,508 times
I miss Kellers Barn.Anybody else remember it?It burned down years ago.There are houses now where it stood.It was off of Brown Rd.The driveway back to it was on the north side of the tracks(Now the Great Western Trail).It was an old farm set way back off the road.There is an old stand of pines where it once stood.We used to ride our mini-bikes that way to visit other kids in the Windings after you cut back south of the tracks again.There also was an old hermit that lived along the creek(Ferson) between the Windings and Fischers (Campton)Lake.You could also hike along the creek to get to the Windings fron Whitney road but you had to walk to get behind the swamp.As kids,we had a camp along the creek.Most of the land owners never seemed to care that we wandered around back there but there wasn't as many people around.There is a McMansion standing on the exact spot that I shot two pheasants with my old Springer Spaniel. When you remember a place like that,and see it built up by people who need to mow,trim,clear and pave everything in sight,It's like loosing a friend.

Last edited by Inthesprawlpath; 01-16-2008 at 10:26 AM..

Old 01-21-2008, 04:23 PM

36 posts, read 188,510 times
Where do some of YOU people live? My family and I have relocated to the Chicagoland area and are desperately trying to find a good neighborhood, with a decent size home(for an in-home business) and good schools while trying to find taxes that are below 10K!

And it's not easy. We currently rent in Grayslake and tried to find a house that has been (somewhat) updated in the Libertyville area and find that unless you can afford 650,000, you will live in a very small house(and still pay ridiculously high taxes), that hasn't seen a carpenter or painter in 20 years!

So what do we have to do? You guessed it...look west. What you get for your money and the taxes you pay are each a little better, which allows young families to have hope that they can raise their kids in decent neighborhoods and have decent schools.

But then you also read some of the posts and it gets extremely frustrating. I can tell that some of you(desert Student) have no idea what it is to have a child and worry about providing the best opportunites you can.

You complain about McMansions and the urban sprawl, and how you can't ride mini-bikes through a field. I grew up in farmland and miss it too. But I don't begrudge any of the houses that have gone up since, as I realize there are families in those houses, hoping and praying every day for the same opportunities I want for my child.

It's not easy in this state...not easy at all....

Old 01-21-2008, 06:25 PM

128 posts, read 172,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstie707 View Post
Where do some of YOU people live? My family and I have relocated to the Chicagoland area and are desperately trying to find a good neighborhood, with a decent size home(for an in-home business) and good schools while trying to find taxes that are below 10K!

And it's not easy. We currently rent in Grayslake and tried to find a house that has been (somewhat) updated in the Libertyville area and find that unless you can afford 650,000, you will live in a very small house(and still pay ridiculously high taxes), that hasn't seen a carpenter or painter in 20 years!

So what do we have to do? You guessed it...look west. What you get for your money and the taxes you pay are each a little better, which allows young families to have hope that they can raise their kids in decent neighborhoods and have decent schools.

But then you also read some of the posts and it gets extremely frustrating. I can tell that some of you(desert Student) have no idea what it is to have a child and worry about providing the best opportunites you can.

You complain about McMansions and the urban sprawl, and how you can't ride mini-bikes through a field. I grew up in farmland and miss it too. But I don't begrudge any of the houses that have gone up since, as I realize there are families in those houses, hoping and praying every day for the same opportunities I want for my child.

It's not easy in this state...not easy at all....
Well, if you think that housing prices are less the farther west in Chicagoland you go, then you are dead wrong. Have you seen Wasco within the past few years. Most of those houses are not going for anything less than 350K and you can expect taxes to be through the roof as well. Not to mention that those towns offer nothing besides new houses and decent schools. If you want to find entertainment in Wasco, expect to go into St. Charles frequently for everything. I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to preserve old, unique, full of character farm towns from the plastic, un-unique, not full of character cookie cutter subdivisions that aren't even master planned. Your right, I don't have kids. But if Illinois, or I should say Chicago's need for sprawl keeps up at the pace it has been going for the next hundred years, we are looking at a complete and total loss of some of the most fertile land in the world!!! Are you aware of how much land on the planet is capable of being farmed?! It is less than 2%, probably even less than that!!! How can you reasonably justify Wasco now, but in the future say no to other towns that look to do the same. I'm sure that the coming generations will want the same things for their kids, that their grandparents found in Wasco. Call me a tree-hugger, but at some time we have to look at the long term ramifications our actions. With a hungry world that looks to the US for hope, how can we keep sprawling in places that help meet this need!!!!? There will come a time when the world will look at places like Wasco and just shake their heads in sadness. Wasco is NOT!!!!!! a good thing in the least!!! I don't care whos agenda that contradicts!! It is the truth!

Last edited by desert student; 01-21-2008 at 06:36 PM..

Old 01-22-2008, 11:09 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
I used to see coyotes and foxes regularly in the middle of office parks along route 83. they are EVERYWHERE - and pet owners need to be vigilant about watching their animals outside. Do not leave them unattended ever, if they are small animals.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:36 AM

101 posts, read 386,053 times
Good post by desert student. Loss of good farmland is tragic.

As for the comment about foxes. Please..........foxes won't be taking any dogs unless they are VERY small. Cats maybe, but cats shouldn't be outside unattended and off a leash.

Coyotes are another story.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:59 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,372,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert student View Post
we are looking at a complete and total loss of some of the most fertile land in the world!!! Are you aware of how much land on the planet is capable of being farmed?! It is less than 2%, probably even less than that!!! How can you reasonably justify Wasco now, but in the future say no to other towns that look to do the same. I'm sure that the coming generations will want the same things for their kids, that their grandparents found in Wasco. Call me a tree-hugger, but at some time we have to look at the long term ramifications our actions. With a hungry world that looks to the US for hope, how can we keep sprawling in places that help meet this need!!!!?
Hey, I'm a bit of a tree-hugger myself. Thought you might find this interesting. I just toured the Hyrdroponic Greenhouse at Epcot. This new farming method allows large quantities of crop to be grown indoors without soil. The plants are grown on a conveyer belt and constantly sprayed with water/fertilizer.

(Note: I'm not advocating that developers continue to swallow up fertile farmland.)

"The Land Greenhouses at Epcot"

Featured Waymark in Greenhouses and Nurseries

View waymark gallery

The Land Greenhouses at Epcot
in Greenhouses and Nurseries

Quick Description: A group of three greenhouses at Epcot in Disney World provide an education into alternative ways to grow crops without soil and the need for pesticides.
Long Description:
The first greenhouse is a geodesic dome and contains a variety of fruits and vegetables. They are all grown in a more traditional sense of being planted in the ground. However they are grown in sand as opposed to soil.

The second greenhouse the ride passes through is fish farm, or aquaculture. Nearly 30% of the fish consumed worldwide come from fish farms. The tanks line both sides and contain sturgeon, catfish, tilapia, alligator, and shrimp.
The third greenhouse is the largest, and is rectangular in shape with arched roofs. This area is dedicated to unconventional ways to grow crops. You will see several vegetables grown in tree form, which allows for greater production and larger quantities. Hyrdroponics is also shown here - that is, growing plants without soil.

In the last section, a relatively new method of growing crops is taking place. Aeroponics is a method of spraying water and nutrients directly on the roots of plants.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:53 AM

2 posts, read 5,587 times
Wasco is a mass subdivision with no amenities, high house prices, huge taxes and no police, fire, ambulance, library, park district etc. etc. If you want to move here buy an existing home in a small subdivision, not fox mill or mill creek. If you must build, hire a local contractor an find a couple acre lot to build it on. We don't want density of people to be anywhere near what wasco has become.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:55 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB POTATOE View Post
Wasco is a mass subdivision with no amenities, high house prices, huge taxes and no police, fire, ambulance, library, park district etc. etc. If you want to move here buy an existing home in a small subdivision, not fox mill or mill creek. If you must build, hire a local contractor an find a couple acre lot to build it on. We don't want density of people to be anywhere near what wasco has become.
Wasco has more amenities than you'd think. There are several parks in town, several just outside town (5 minute drive), a nice school, doctors offices and restaurants (ie Pizza Cucina, Tonys Steamers, a Chinese joint, Michaelangelos Pizza, Subway, McDonalds, etc), baseball diamonds and disc golf and are also now served by the Campton Hills Police. I take it you havent been there in awhile?

Old 05-06-2008, 12:53 PM

2 posts, read 5,587 times
I have lived in Lafox for the last 10 years before that 20 years in chevelle de salle subdivision. Remember route 38 when you could drive to Dekalb and not see another car the whole way there. Thank god were not massed together with the new campton village.
If you got your tax bill last week, look for new taxes you now pay. Campton hills police are part time, got a problem at 5.45 pm. they'll tell you to call kane county. When rt64 looks like Randall rd you'll be happy I guess.
There is no small town feel anymore. I remember borrowing the neighbours car without asking, you just bought it back and with a howdy neighbour. I knew every one and they knew me. Is it still like that.
stores, doctors, lawyers and bars are not ammenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs