Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2015, 11:07 AM

4 posts, read 7,497 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving to Alsip from out of town. I really can't find much information on it but the housing looks reasonable and I drove through there one day and it seems OK. I looks pretty industrial but it is close to my new job. Is it safe? How are the schools? Do you live there or would you live there? Please tell me what you know. Another village I am also considering is Midlothian. Which is better and why?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 11:12 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,508 times
Alsip is fine, no particular problems with schools or crime. It's industrial, but the residential areas are pretty quiet. Midlothian has seen an increase in crime, there's little economic base, the government is broke, and there aren't many amenities available. Alsip is closer to major shopping, dining and medical facilities.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:59 PM

74 posts, read 167,606 times
Alsip is almost entirely white, middle class, blue collar families. It's safe.

Midlothian borders on Robbins, which is not safe.

I would look at Oak Lawn, judging by what I think your price point is.

Old 03-27-2015, 05:20 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,508 times
Umm, Alsip is 64% white, non-Hispanic. I wouldn't say that's "almost entirely".

American FactFinder - Results

I would agree on Oak Lawn,though. Homes are about the same price as Alsip, and Oak Lawn offers a lot more amenities. Actually, the southern most part of Oak Lawn is in one of the Alsip school districts.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,785 times
Amazing suburb, very friendly old school vibe.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:57 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,082,339 times
Midlothian is ok but the schools are not good and it is going downhill. I would go with Alsip. I also agree with Oak Lawn. Also check out Worth and Palos Heights

Last edited by 4122; 04-15-2016 at 09:08 PM..

Old 04-16-2016, 06:24 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
Default Have you ever spent any time looking at the housing stock ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
Midlothian is ok but the schools are not good and it is going downhill. I would go with Alsip. I also agree with Oak Lawn. Also check out Worth and Palos Heights
I can understand folks having some desire to talk-up their towns but the sorts of housing that exists in many of the less desirable south suburbs does not compare well with other towns in more traditionally desirable areas.

Even if you can overlook the lack of employment centers and poor railroad / transit options the housing stock is a negative. Smaller split-levels and tract ranches dominate. These tend to be on rather compact lots, making renovation difficult. Together with development patterns that are more like areas on the fringes of Chicago, with detached garages and postage-stamp yards it is no wonder these towns are not attracting younger families. Coupled with often absurdly high taxes for services that are, at best, mediocre, the migration from these areas to newer SW suburbs or even Indiana is easy to understand...

The racial mix might appeal to those claiming they desire a more "real world" distribution of neighbors, but the economic segregation caused by dearth of jobs hardly seems conducive to educating kids for the realities of ever more jobs shifting toward "knowledge work" and away from traditional physical labor.

Toss the unfortunate incidence of many that have a "left behind" mindset looking less than generously at new-comers and there is not much to recommend ...

The relatives that I have even in nicer parts of Oak Lawn pretty much universally feel they should have gotten out long ago.

Old 04-17-2016, 07:56 PM

143 posts, read 217,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tang2000 View Post
I am thinking of moving to Alsip from out of town. I really can't find much information on it but the housing looks reasonable and I drove through there one day and it seems OK. I looks pretty industrial but it is close to my new job. Is it safe? How are the schools? Do you live there or would you live there? Please tell me what you know. Another village I am also considering is Midlothian. Which is better and why?

Thanks
You are exactly right- Alsip is OK. Not bad, but not great either. It's pretty safe, schools are decent. I personally would live there only if I scored a great deal on a house there and didn't have any kids, or could afford to send them to private school. I'd say Alsip is better than Midlothian, but both are decent. I recommend Oak Forest and Tinley Park. Both are still affordable but they are much better in my opinion than Alsip and Midlothian. Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs