U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2015, 12:45 PM

1,867 posts, read 2,979,869 times

Advertisements

Would someone mind providing a quick explanation of this "overhead sewer system," please? I'm having trouble understanding how it works, and what happens to the drains for any basement sink, washing machine, or toilet, if the sewer is overhead?

Why not just seal any floor drains to prevent sewer backup? I never understood the reason for those (floor drains) anyway...
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 04:58 PM

5,520 posts, read 11,981,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Would someone mind providing a quick explanation of this "overhead sewer system," please? I'm having trouble understanding how it works, and what happens to the drains for any basement sink, washing machine, or toilet, if the sewer is overhead?

Why not just seal any floor drains to prevent sewer backup? I never understood the reason for those (floor drains) anyway...
The basement lines drain into a pit in the floor (looks kinda like a sump pit). An ejector pump pumps the water up into a pipe which travel up and across at basement ceiling level and then drops down to enter the sewer main. Because the high point is at basement ceiling height, sewer back flows don't enter the basement.

You can't seal the basement floor outflow pipe if you have a basement bathroom or sink. I suppose you could seal the floor drain.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:35 AM

11,972 posts, read 26,876,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
The basement lines drain into a pit in the floor (looks kinda like a sump pit). An ejector pump pumps the water up into a pipe which travel up and across at basement ceiling level and then drops down to enter the sewer main. Because the high point is at basement ceiling height, sewer back flows don't enter the basement.

You can't seal the basement floor outflow pipe if you have a basement bathroom or sink. I suppose you could seal the floor drain.
This is a good explanation. It is basically impossible to have a sewer backup in to your house with an overhead sewer system, unless that sewage is pumped in under intense pressure in some sort of freak scenario like an explosion. And then it would probably have to back up in to your ground floor drains. Not gonna happen under any storm or sewer backup scenario.

BUT, you could have a failure of your ejector pump in your basement. If you have a basement toilet and the pump fails, you could have a small spillage of stuff from the basement fixtures only once the ejector pit fills up. But this is a much smaller mess than having municipal sewage and water come in to the house from the public sewer. It's a risk I'll gladly take (but I don't have a toilet in my basement anyway).

Old 04-14-2015, 04:04 PM

28,384 posts, read 68,028,377 times
The hydrostatic pressure of some "combined system" sewers is terrifying - when you get billions of gallons of rainwater & sewage pressurized it can be a fountain of you know what that burbles 15 feet above a low foundation...

Old 04-14-2015, 04:35 PM

11,972 posts, read 26,876,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The hydrostatic pressure of some "combined system" sewers is terrifying - when you get billions of gallons of rainwater & sewage pressurized it can be a fountain of you know what that burbles 15 feet above a low foundation...
Have you ever heard of an instance of an overhead sewer blasting combined sewage back through the drains of a ground floor? I haven't, though maybe it's physically possible under super-extreme conditions?

I'm not going to worry about it, since I live up high and have separated storm and sanitary. Even though my neighborhood is old, some wise Glen Ellyn forefathers invested heavily in a 20th century sewer system at some point decades ago. Take that, Downers Grove!

Old 04-14-2015, 04:47 PM

107 posts, read 175,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Have you ever heard of an instance of an overhead sewer blasting combined sewage back through the drains of a ground floor? I haven't, though maybe it's physically possible under super-extreme conditions?

I'm not going to worry about it, since I live up high and have separated storm and sanitary. Even though my neighborhood is old, some wise Glen Ellyn forefathers invested heavily in a 20th century sewer system at some point decades ago. Take that, Downers Grove!
I just googled overhead sewer backup and didnt find anything saying anyone has had a sewer backup with overhead. The only thing you find is cities encouraging people to convert.

The water would just back up into the street. I guess if your house is in a very very low spot relative to the surroundings it is possible. The streets are much lower than the 1st levels of houses so the street would have to have at least 5 feet of water in my area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or