Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 05:02 PM

39 posts, read 54,363 times

Advertisements

Okay guys, One of the hospital upped their offer and my wife signed up with them.

But we had a minor arguement about paying rent. She is being unrealistic with her expectations. She expects to pay similar rent as we have been right now which is absolute bull**** according to me. We will be earning enough to pay well over 3000-3500 a month in rent but yeah cant do much.

She found this condo for us, while i m not too keen in living in a condo, she wants to save up enough to put around a 100k in down-payment at the end of this year :

Houses For Rent - 1 Homes | Zillow

Is it in a safe area? I have a teenage daughter and i want her to be safe .

Thank you everyone again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 07:06 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,767,204 times
Subscribe to this service to see crime rates:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 04-29-2015 at 08:11 AM..

Old 04-15-2015, 07:07 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,767,204 times
Have you looked at her commute from that address?

Old 04-15-2015, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Have you looked at her commute from that address?
10 miles but 20-25min from that address. 9 miles and around 15mi from where i work. It has 2 car garage which works fine for me as we need atleast 2 car indoor garage but its a condo so taht one thing is something i m not too used to living in. If we take this apartment we will be spending much less than even 15% of our take home on housing.

How is the Oak Lawn area in general apart from the statitics?

8916 South 50th Avenue, Oak Lawn IL | Trulia.com

I like this house little bit. Safety is my primary concern as i said i have a teenage daughter!

Old 04-15-2015, 08:32 PM

768 posts, read 1,092,327 times
Stick to Hinsdale, Western Springs, La Grange, Clarendon Hills... ~ you will regret it if not...

Old 04-15-2015, 11:46 PM

74 posts, read 166,498 times
Oak Lawn - no. That address especially - no. There are a lot of city folk that have quick access to Cicero Ave to the north that commit crimes in that area.

There are other areas of Oak Lawn that are still quite nice, but there is no real downtown.

Considering your budget, Hinsdale is right out. A great option for you to look at would be LaGrange Park.

I have a good friend who was a "city guy" and likes walking to downtown LaGrange, but didn't pay the LaGrange address prices.

Look into it. I'm sure you'll find something.

Downers Grove is also a great option that could suit you, but the houses nearest the downtown are a bit pricey.

I would focus on LP first. That's your best option.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacas1 View Post
Oak Lawn - no. That address especially - no. There are a lot of city folk that have quick access to Cicero Ave to the north that commit crimes in that area.

There are other areas of Oak Lawn that are still quite nice, but there is no real downtown.

Considering your budget, Hinsdale is right out. A great option for you to look at would be LaGrange Park.

I have a good friend who was a "city guy" and likes walking to downtown LaGrange, but didn't pay the LaGrange address prices.

Look into it. I'm sure you'll find something.

Downers Grove is also a great option that could suit you, but the houses nearest the downtown are a bit pricey.

I would focus on LP first. That's your best option.

Hey!

The thing is my wife will be working at Holycross Hospital. You can check the address on the map and those neighborhoods are 40-45min from that place. We have always lived 4-5 min away from our workplace our entire life. We used to be surgeons in UK and our private practice was a mile from my home. I am looking a LP right now but as others said i will have to take a drive through the neighborhood for finding rental houses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJski View Post
Stick to Hinsdale, Western Springs, La Grange, Clarendon Hills... ~ you will regret it if not...
My wife decided to take the job that was near midway. When she told them no, they upped their offer considerably,somewhere around 12-14000 a year. Those neighbourhoods are 45min+ from that hospital which basically is a bummer.

I am looking at something that can decrease her commute as i said before i m okay with paying more but she says she wants to save up for a bigger downpayment even if it means living in a smaller house for few months.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:24 AM

768 posts, read 1,092,327 times
now La Grange/western springs is your best option. ~ Stay away from Southern Chicagoland towns... or just live in the big city!

also agree with dacas1 LaGrange Park might save you considerably and still put you in a good location.

Last edited by JJski; 04-16-2015 at 07:53 AM..

Old 04-16-2015, 08:29 AM

11,973 posts, read 31,635,920 times
Justice is not a very nice town. And it's getting worse. I would not choose to live there.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:51 AM

THANKS guys. I am looking at something that will keep her commute down to less than 30mins. Sucks because all of the desirable locations you guys have mentioned are well over 30mins :|
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs