U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-09-2015, 05:57 AM
 
39 posts, read 34,621 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

We moved to chicagoland from UK around a year back and have been living in Oswego since then and the commute for me was around an hour and 15min.
My wife just got offers from two different hospitals : 1)Presence Resurrection Medical Center which is nearby O'Hare and 2) Holycross hospital which is nearby Midway.

I just changed my workplace last week and now i work in hinsdale so the commute is a little bit shorter than it was.

Our income will increase substantially to upper 160s before tax once my wife takes up one of the offers and we are looking to relocate to somewhere nearby so that we can decrease our commute times.

Her idea is to select a hospital ( the pay is negotiable and almost the same) according to the suburb we would be staying in as both are almost at opposite ends of each other and the hospital i work in is in hinsdale.

We are looking to spend 2000-2200 on a 2bd/3bd SF or a townhouse with atleast 2 car garage. (dont want apartments) preferably with a basement and rail connectivity.


Schools dont matter to me as my daughter will be finishing high school in a few weeks.


Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-09-2015, 07:28 AM
 
11,972 posts, read 26,868,797 times
Reputation: 4548
If schools truly don't matter, you have a lot of options. But the suburbs with good schools are often nicer places to live, and will be better real estate investments. A place like Elmhurst would give you plenty of options for commutes, as it is well-positioned within the rail system and highway system. Do you have any idea what your home budget will be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2015, 07:44 AM
 
39 posts, read 34,621 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
If schools truly don't matter, you have a lot of options. But the suburbs with good schools are often nicer places to live, and will be better real estate investments. A place like Elmhurst would give you plenty of options for commutes, as it is well-positioned within the rail system and highway system. Do you have any idea what your home budget will be?

Hey!

We are not looking to buy yet. We would actually like to rent first and then if we get settled in to the area and stuff, we can decide to buy. We are looking to rent a townhouse/SF home upto 2000-2200 .
My wife will take up job at any of the hospital in such a way that we both have a shorter commute and my daughter is going to college in chicago itself so yeah!

We like Hinsdale a lot but dont feel like spending that much on rent so we are currently looking at the surrounding areas but the number of properties up for leasing are quite low!

Edit : Someone told me to look into townhouses at elm creek in elmhurst. Your views?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2015, 07:48 AM
 
650 posts, read 603,185 times
Reputation: 317
check out Western Springs, La Grange, Clarendon Hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2015, 08:04 AM
 
39 posts, read 34,621 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJski View Post
check out Western Springs, La Grange, Clarendon Hills.

Yup. I looked into these. As i said very very few houses up for lease within my budget!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2015, 08:19 AM
 
1,231 posts, read 1,325,826 times
Reputation: 369
It also depends on which hospital your wife chooses to work at. You would keep to look a suburb that is a reasonable commute to her job and a reasonable commute to your job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2015, 08:23 AM
 
650 posts, read 603,185 times
Reputation: 317
I think the challenge you will face is so much is not advertised online - prob cause they don't need to, demand is so high. We walk LG/WS neighborhoods all the time and can usually catch a for rent sign. But in most cases this is local (just by sign on house) so unless you are already here it is hard to find… I bet CH is the same way. Maybe drive the neighborhoods/walk them on a nice day…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2015, 08:26 AM
 
39 posts, read 34,621 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
It also depends on which hospital your wife chooses to work at. You would keep to look a suburb that is a reasonable commute to her job and a reasonable commute to your job.

We are basically choosing the hospital depending upon what suburb we decide to live in. I honestly like lisle,naperville area but its too far for her and i dont want her driving everyday for 2+ hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJski View Post
I think the challenge you will face is so much is not advertised online - prob cause they don't need to, demand is so high. We walk LG/WS neighborhoods all the time and can usually catch a for rent sign. But in most cases this is local (just by sign on house) so unless you are already here it is hard to find… I bet CH is the same way. Maybe drive the neighborhoods/walk them on a nice day…
I think i can take a drive through westmont and nearby neighbourhoods after work one day. I work in hinsdale and i usually get of work by 2-3pm so maybe!

I came across this : http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/84.../4571704_zpid/

would do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2015, 08:37 AM
 
650 posts, read 603,185 times
Reputation: 317
Looks good - we personally have to be .5m or less to downtown core as we are walking junkies...

I really think you can hit any of the towns discussed, including Hinsdale - just have to keep finger on the pulse and move on the right opportunity.

PS, Agreed Naperville rocks, if it was just a bit closer would be perfect!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2015, 08:49 AM
 
39 posts, read 34,621 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJski View Post
Looks good - we personally have to be .5m or less to downtown core as we are walking junkies...

I really think you can hit any of the towns discussed, including Hinsdale - just have to keep finger on the pulse and move on the right opportunity.

PS, Agreed Naperville rocks, if it was just a bit closer would be perfect!

I might go and take a look at it after work!

I like walking as well but i prefer walking in queiter areas.

Hinsdale is expensive. I can afford rent upto 3000 i guess but i dont want to spend that much on rent as basically i get no equity in the house i m living in and i am still paying insane amount of money and i dont want to get stuck at one place by buying a house this early ( we are still new to the country) .

I would love to live in Naperville and probably buy a house there in future if i can somehow get my wife to work at the hospital i work in or somewhere nearby. I find the houses in westmont,LG,WS too nearby to each other but thats what you get as you get nearby the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top