Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 02:12 PM

57 posts, read 150,836 times

Advertisements

Growing up on the north side of Chicago travelling to the Museum of Science and Industry (MSI) never seemed to be a question. I have recently moved back to the area and now live in the SW suburbs.

I took my family to the Museum of Science and Industry last week and followed Google maps but definitely did not feel safe travelling the route that it gave me. I was glad it was late morning and not late evening.

I have always loved going to this museum, so here is my question... Coming from the SW suburbs, what is the safest route to drive to get to MSI and is there anything else that I should know or consider. Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 02:28 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,343,523 times
55, Lakeshore S, Museum

or

57, 94, 90/94, 55, Lakeshore S, Museum

Old 04-13-2015, 05:43 PM

Yes, we do 57 to 94 to MSI. Is one exit better than another off of the 94 to get to MSI. I am specifically thinking about the neighborhoods between 94 and MSI.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:44 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
If you don't want to backtrack too much there is no way to avoid the not-so-pretty areas when you come in from the south / southwest. I have taken Stony Island and there are stretches that certainly have a large number of depressingly desolate blocks.

If you go all the way up to where the McCormick Place is accessible you can get back on Lake Shore Drive and head south but that is several miles of backtracking. Even heading to Bridgeport you see lots of crummy stretches near IIT. The "revitalization" of Bronzeville is very spotty...

Old 04-14-2015, 07:10 AM

Thank you. Very helpful information. If we did not want to backtrack are these just desolate looking areas or are they fairly dangerous to be travelling through. Is W Marquette Rd or Garfiled/E 55th St a better route to travel?

Old 04-14-2015, 09:46 AM

165 posts, read 309,870 times
They aren't safe areas to walk around at night and there is crime especially between the Dan Ryan and Cottage Grove. That being said, I spent many a Friday night in college waiting at the Garfield red line stop over the Dan Ryan for the 55 bus to take me back from an evening downtown. Driving-wise, it is fine just desolate looking. I drive from UofC to the Dan Ryan every night on my way home from work, not uncommonly after 10pm. Hundreds visit the hospital or MSI each day. It's definitely a weird area, but you'll be fine. Hyde Park itself is very nice (though you still have to be aware of your surroundings).

Old 04-14-2015, 10:39 AM

57 posts, read 160,087 times
Default Take Metra Electric

Depending how far South and West you live, you might want to consider Metra. Hop on at Homewood, get off at 55/56/57th street. It's a 25 (ish, depending on the train) minute train ride and about 1/4 mile away from that stop, through the nicest part of Hyde Park.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:09 AM

867 posts, read 1,371,729 times
You're in a car for Petes sake! Take Lakeshore drive and quit whining!

I highly doubt that you will be snatched from your car and killed or raped. Maybe you just don't want to see the poorer areas?

Old 04-15-2015, 10:10 AM

2,501 posts, read 4,434,481 times
OP asked the same question on the Chicago board, and got lambasted. Rightly so.

We're all still waiting for OP to tell us the route they took, and what they saw that disturbed them.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:36 PM

74 posts, read 167,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runuova View Post
You're in a car for Petes sake! Take Lakeshore drive and quit whining!

I highly doubt that you will be snatched from your car and killed or raped. Maybe you just don't want to see the poorer areas?
Seeing as how the OP is coming from the southwest suburbs, and the last time I checked, neither Lake Michigan nor Lake Shore Drive go that way, how does she get to Hyde Park without traversing some really bad neighborhoods?

Oh, wait, she's in a car. I forgot. No person has ever been assaulted while driving one of those things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs