U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2015, 09:38 PM

10 posts, read 8,437 times

Advertisements

Hello. I've looked around on forums some for this topic and wanted to hear any updated opinions or thoughts for my situation. I am finishing grad school and took a job located in Lake Forest at their huge corporate park area of companies. The past Summer I interned there and lived in Vernon Hills at the time. The suburbs around there were completely mind numbing and had to drive everywhere which I did not like one bit.

I am single, 27, and looking for other young n' interesting/creative/ethnically diverse people to mingle with and make friends. Ideally somewhere that I can walk/bike/run around outside easily too. I'd like to be near to a place to exercise, swim, do yoga and crossfit. I don't want a really long commute and thus am not interested in living in the city either. Suggestions that I've seen on the forums that seem appealing so far are Evanston and.... that's it. Any other suggestions that may fit the bill? Other suggestions I saw were Libertyville. I remember exploring the downtown drag of Libertyville and thought it was nice for a family suburb, but are there young people there just hiding I didn't see? Didn't seem so interesting for my demographic group. What about Wilmette? Other suggestions?

I'm also concerned since I don't have a good network in the Chicago area. Are there apartments that are more community focused and have more shared things? I thought about having a room mate but may not like that... I'm sure there are pros and cons and it can be hit or miss.

Opinions and thoughts are appreciated and thank you in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 10:09 PM

103 posts, read 123,918 times
I'd say stick to areas near the UP-N line, down as far south as Glencoe to keep the commute reasonable. Those areas are more dense, have apartments, and have the botanic garden and Ravinia nearby. That's your best shot at finding young professionals around. Anything away from the lake is pretty but dead.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:17 PM

28,383 posts, read 67,903,744 times
If you really want "bustling nightlife of twenty-somethings" that won't happen in any suburb to the degree that you'd find it inside Chicago.

That said, I know a fact that there are in fact some young people that do frequent the brew pubs and live music venues of downtown Libertyville. Some of these folks work at Abbott Labs or nearby employers. It is not a raucous / overflowing sort of crowd (we are talking people that majored in the health sciences for the most part...) but it is something.
Of course there are some folks your age from a wide range of backgronds that actually are in Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University -- Living in Lake County

The advice from zizu is sort of odd, as Glencoe is arguably the SLEEPIEST and most old fashioned town on the UP-N line. If you can rely on train service to work (along with appropriate shuttle bus service) I suppose one could argue that Evanston does technically have a few nightspots that are oriented toward the legal twenty-somethings at Northwestern, but again this cannot hold a candle to the scene inside Chicago...

I am little surprised that you even have to ask about running / bicycling as there are in fact LOTS of opportunities to engage in that in not just Lake Forest but basically THROUGHOUT all of Lake Co -- extensive system of well maintained Forest Preserves!

Old 04-17-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
If you really want "bustling nightlife of twenty-somethings" that won't happen in any suburb to the degree that you'd find it inside Chicago.

That said, I know a fact that there are in fact some young people that do frequent the brew pubs and live music venues of downtown Libertyville. Some of these folks work at Abbott Labs or nearby employers. It is not a raucous / overflowing sort of crowd (we are talking people that majored in the health sciences for the most part...) but it is something.
Of course there are some folks your age from a wide range of backgronds that actually are in Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University -- Living in Lake County

The advice from zizu is sort of odd, as Glencoe is arguably the SLEEPIEST and most old fashioned town on the UP-N line. If you can rely on train service to work (along with appropriate shuttle bus service) I suppose one could argue that Evanston does technically have a few nightspots that are oriented toward the legal twenty-somethings at Northwestern, but again this cannot hold a candle to the scene inside Chicago...

I am little surprised that you even have to ask about running / bicycling as there are in fact LOTS of opportunities to engage in that in not just Lake Forest but basically THROUGHOUT all of Lake Co -- extensive system of well maintained Forest Preserves!
Hmm. As far as cycling I would like to be able to do that on the streets/roads in order to get places as well. Like to go to a grocery store and get around places within an area and be able to walk place. When I stayed in Vernon Hills for the Summer that was really not possible. Had to drive everywhere since there often were no sidewalks and wouldn't be comfortable cycling on the highways out there.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:15 AM

2,883 posts, read 3,841,761 times
Evanston is really your only option. Commute won't be great.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:57 PM

37 posts, read 43,596 times
i think most people live around their job in the suburbs and then drive up to the city for fun and night life.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:56 PM

2,007 posts, read 4,217,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i4k20z3 View Post
i think most people live around their job in the suburbs and then drive up to the city for fun and night life.
Not really true. I know a ton of younger people that live in the city and commute to various suburbs in every direction, especially to the north.

Evanston is a good compromise. Possibly consider Arlington Heights as an alternative, might be a little bit better than Vernon Hills or Libertyville. But in all seriousness, Evanston is at least is a CTA ride / reasonable Uber ride from certain hot spots in Chicago's north side.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:24 PM

With the commute time between Arlington Heights to Lake Forest similar of those between Evanston and Lake Forest it seems like a no brainer for me. I'm going to try and find some Northwestern University students that are subletting their places for the Summer and live there for a few months and test the waters so to speak. Are there any good websites to find subletting? I found sublet.com and then also craigslist.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:06 PM

46 posts, read 34,839 times
Dailynorthwestern.com -- This is the Northwestern student newspaper. click on classifieds. There are 5 summer sublets advertised right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or