U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 12:14 PM

3,785 posts, read 5,537,388 times

Advertisements

There are many nice places in the western, northwest and northern suburbs. Look for towns like Downers Grove, Elmhurst, Wheaton, Glen Ellyn, Lombard, and places like Arlington Heights, Mt. Prospect to name a few. If you want to live in a more urbanized area Oak Park is good as is Evanston. There are city neighborhoods such as Edison park, Lincoln Square, and Ravenswood that are worth a look. It all depends on if you want to live in the city or suburbs and what your budget is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 12:30 PM

17 posts, read 13,009 times
For that price range you really can find a lot of nice areas. Believe it or not, there are excellent schools IN Chicago. There's excellent school districts in the suburbs as well. It's hard to say without knowing what your preferences other than schools and commute time. Some suburbs have a lot of newer construction, some have ancient dinosaur homes that are in great shape, while others have trendy "downtown" areas that have a ton of condo/townhomes. Anyway, you can easily find a good area, just need to narrow your search parameters.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:10 PM

5,988 posts, read 9,981,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dconway View Post
Belleville Illinois is a great place and area of Illinois.... It is an easy place to be. It is warm there and can be a little chilly but most of all they have some really nice houses there that would be perfect for you
this is nowhere near Chicago

Old 04-20-2015, 07:58 PM

15 posts, read 17,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
There are many nice places in the western, northwest and northern suburbs. Look for towns like Downers Grove, Elmhurst, Wheaton, Glen Ellyn, Lombard, and places like Arlington Heights, Mt. Prospect to name a few. If you want to live in a more urbanized area Oak Park is good as is Evanston. There are city neighborhoods such as Edison park, Lincoln Square, and Ravenswood that are worth a look. It all depends on if you want to live in the city or suburbs and what your budget is.
Thanks! I'd like to preferably live in the suburbs rather than in the city. My budget is about 500-650 however that is with a low DTI ratio so more if it's a really great place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAChicago View Post
For that price range you really can find a lot of nice areas. Believe it or not, there are excellent schools IN Chicago. There's excellent school districts in the suburbs as well. It's hard to say without knowing what your preferences other than schools and commute time. Some suburbs have a lot of newer construction, some have ancient dinosaur homes that are in great shape, while others have trendy "downtown" areas that have a ton of condo/townhomes. Anyway, you can easily find a good area, just need to narrow your search parameters.
Do you know much of private schools in the suburbs? I was originally going to be moving to Dallas and found that with a few exceptions private school was the way to go. Would something similar be better in Chicago? I also am not interested in trendy downtown areas and neither is my wife so I'd like to stick with a suburban home with a decent backyard. Thanks!

Old 04-20-2015, 08:11 PM

15,304 posts, read 16,858,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion39 View Post
Thanks! I'd like to preferably live in the suburbs rather than in the city. My budget is about 500-650 however that is with a low DTI ratio so more if it's a really great place.

Do you know much of private schools in the suburbs? I was originally going to be moving to Dallas and found that with a few exceptions private school was the way to go. Would something similar be better in Chicago? I also am not interested in trendy downtown areas and neither is my wife so I'd like to stick with a suburban home with a decent backyard. Thanks!
Many suburban public schools are great. You should not need private schools in most suburbs.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:23 AM

2,883 posts, read 3,847,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Many suburban public schools are great. You should not need private schools in most suburbs.
YEP, this isn't Texas. We generally have good schools in suburbs in your price range.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:24 AM

1,500 posts, read 1,609,220 times
All IMO...

1.) Transit: If you're commuting to the Loop (downtown Chicago) you may want to give preference to towns situated along a Metra train line: Metra System Map. Your commute will be quicker and more comfortable, and property values in metra-linked towns have proven more resilient: Home Values Are Rising Faster in Towns With a Metra Stop | Chicago Mag. If you want more info about commuter rail towns in Chicagoland, this recent survey is good place to start: Top Transit Suburbs of Metropolitan Chicago | The Chaddick Institute for Metropolitan Development.

2.) Atmosphere: I can appreciate that you want a large yard and some elbow room, but I wouldn't completely discount the benefit of living in a suburb with a downtown district. There has been an undeniable trend in Chicagoland toward the "classic American town." Towns rich in history and tradition with downtown districts that play host to festivals, parades and other community-inspired, family-orientated events have fared much better over the long-term than those lacking such atmosphere and opportunity. From experience I can say it's of great benefit to have a central gathering place to meet friends, take the kids for an ice cream cone, grab a bite to eat, or hang in the library on a blustering winter day.

3.) Schools: Towns in Chicagoland with $500k+ homes generally have well-regarded schools. Private likely won't be necessary.

I live in the western suburbs, where several towns would satisfy your criteria. Towns under an hour to the Loop with large(er) property sizes and an inventory of $500k+ homes include Elmhurst, Oak Brook, Hinsdale, Clarendon Hills, Downers Grove, Glen Ellyn, Naperville and Wheaton. I wouldn't recommend Lombard with your budget. You'll also want to take a look at similarly situated northwest and north suburbs.

Here's a couple good examples of a large lots in my town:

1211 Foothill Drive WHEATON, IL 60189 | Redfin
928 Golf Lane WHEATON, IL 60189 | Redfin

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 04-21-2015 at 09:39 AM..

Old 04-21-2015, 10:50 AM

650 posts, read 603,185 times
We moved here 1.5 years ago from out of state - don't underestimate the value in transit as holl1 advised. In our case luck landed us near a Metra stop, THANK GOD IT DID. This has proven a incredibly valuable asset. If we stay in IL and move again we we absolutely follow those 3 suggested (transit, atmosphere, schools) ~ great advice...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs