Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2015, 12:11 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,064,690 times

Advertisements

I would rather go with Aurora one. It's in one of the better areas of Aurora and it's not breaking the bank. You could get much more for your money in other areas while still getting a good resale value. Most people who buy in Wheaton are families. Families typically don't buy a home under 1,250 sq ft or even under 1,500 sq ft, so selling the house above could be difficult. IMO the house in Wheaton above is way overpriced, but still, it would be hard to afford to buy a home in Wheaton and make a profit selling it. Try looking in the good parts of Aurora (especially the part that's in the Naperville 204 school district, North Aurora, St Charles, Batavia, Lisle, Westmont, maybe even Brookfield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 12:14 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,324,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
I would rather go with Aurora one. It's in one of the better areas of Aurora and it's not breaking the bank. You could get much more for your money in other areas while still getting a good resale value. Most people who buy in Wheaton are families. Families typically don't buy a home under 1,250 sq ft or even under 1,500 sq ft, so selling the house above could be difficult.
Smh. Big time. But ok. If you say so.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:31 PM

226 posts, read 379,182 times
I dig this one in Yorkville (don't know anything about it), but those taxes! And it's slightly further out then Joliet, and it's pending.
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...0_M77754-04272

Old 04-27-2015, 12:35 PM

70 posts, read 91,898 times
I posted the Aurora one - if OP thinks there are any kids in the future and can afford it, I'd go with the Wheaton listing hollingsworth posted over Aurora. The park / metra / school situation is really prime - it's definitely on the small side, but it has a decent enough looking basement and I bet single or divorced parents would be all over it if OP wants to sell and if the neighborhood is really as nice as advertised.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardot View Post
I dig this one in Yorkville (don't know anything about it), but those taxes! And it's slightly further out then Joliet, and it's pending.
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...0_M77754-04272
Purchase. Apply generous amounts of elbow grease. Win at life.

104 N. Gables Boulevard WHEATON, IL 60187 | Redfin
1131 Fischer Street WHEATON, IL 60189 | Redfin

Get em before the bulldozer does.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:47 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,956,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
nikitakolata... Here's what I'm buying with the OP's money:

815 Lakeside Drive WHEATON, IL 60187 | Redfin

Pull up a map and take a look at where that home is located. Then look at the tax bill. Home warranty. Walk to train, town, park and schools. Lake views. That's a little slice of heaven on a tight budget. Here's the elementary school: EMERSON ELEM SCHOOL | School Report Card

But NOOOoo. Folks gotta have their "dream home"... until they have their dream home... then they want this home. But alas, it's too late! They're underwater on their mortgage.
I can't complain about that house.

But, I was the OP 7 years ago. I bought the house I loved in a crappy location. I regretted it, of course, and I would never advise the OP to do what I did. Location really does trump everything. I just know how hard it is to walk away from your dream house due to a bad location (it was so hard, I didn't do it). Ultimately, it only takes a few bad apples to really ruin a neighborhood, and that sucks to accept.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:57 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,454,696 times
That house looks great but the commute from that Wheaton house seems painful. 1:30 on the Metra.
Is the husband on board with the miserable commute?

Old 04-27-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
That house looks great but the commute from that Wheaton house seems painful. 1:30 on the Metra.
Is the husband on board with the miserable commute?
In what dimension???? Lolz. Morning rush trains from Wheaton run about 40 minutes to the Loop. There's an express at the height of the evening rush that does the trip in 34 minutes. My FULL commute is under a hour, door-to-door, from my home in Wheaton to my office in the south Loop. That includes walking/driving on each end. The longest train runs midday and is still only 56 minutes: UP-W Full Timetable.

Wheaton was recently ranked one of the best suburbs for Metra commuters: Top Transit Suburbs of Metropolitan Chicago | The Chaddick Institute for Metropolitan Development.

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 04-27-2015 at 01:25 PM..

Old 04-27-2015, 01:08 PM

720 posts, read 1,073,158 times
Don't pick that Aurora one. It's in the West Aurora school district. If you look in Aurora, look in areas that feed into D204 or Batavia, otherwise don't bother.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:14 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,454,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
In what dimension???? Lolz. Morning rush trains from Wheaton run about 40 minutes to the Loop. There is an express at the height of the evening rush that does the trip in 34 minutes. My FULL commute is under a hour, door-to-door, from my home in Wheaton to my office in the south Loop. That includes walking/driving on each end. The longest train runs midday and is still only 56 minutes: UP-W Full Timetable.

Wheaton was recently ranked as one of the best suburbs for Metra commuters: Top Transit Suburbs of Metropolitan Chicago | The Chaddick Institute for Metropolitan Development.
That is what it said on google maps. I guess I didn't change the time to rush hour. 40 min is not bad.

http://f.cl.ly/items/1o11352X0p441I0...15.47%20PM.png
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs