U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 07:12 AM

173 posts, read 201,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTW2013 View Post
Are you suggesting that only upper middle class and wealthy people should expect to be able to buy a "nice house in a very good school district?" Access to a "nice" house in a good school district has pretty much defined the American middle class for generations so I think I can understand why that bothers people.
I'm not having this argument again. Towns like westmont, darien, willowbrook, brookfield, Berwyn, countryside, etc all have affirdable housing for the middle class but for many here those "towns aren't good enough." These are all very good options for middle class folks. And yes, towns like Glen Ellyn, Wheaton, La Grange, etc will generally remain out of reach for middle class folks with a household income below $100k. Again, Chicagoland suburbs come at a premium cost but still far below a comparable suburb in NYC or LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 04:36 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,802,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardot View Post
Haha! I actually book marked this one a week ago! Thank you There isn't a lot of MCM housing stock, too, which of course is part of my problem.
Saw this, thought of you:

927 E EVERGREEN Street WHEATON, IL 60187 | Redfin

Old 04-21-2015, 06:10 PM

28,449 posts, read 72,753,319 times
Default What an odd house...

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
The price is right, but so much is "one of kind" in all the wrong ways.

Taxes are crazy low, and given that only has two bedrooms they likely won't climb too high...

Old 04-21-2015, 06:15 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,550,352 times
Thumbs up Don't shoot me folks!!!

But...have you looked into Northwest Indiana?? I do love many of the Chicago suburbs but I understand the frustration of finding something in that exact price range that you presented. There will be some compromises but if you were looking as far as Joliet, you can find what you are looking for in NWI and be closer to the loop than Joliet. Look at places like Munster, Highland, Schererville, Dyer, St. John, and Crown Point. Maybe Griffith too. All of these towns are safe and Munster, Crown Point, and the ti-town area (Schererville, Dyer, and St. John) have the best schools out of what I listed as well as being anywhere from a 30 minute commute downtown by car (if you live in Munster or Dyer) to an hour (mainly from Crown Point, which also will give you the most house for your money compared especially to Munster).

As far as MCM homes, I know that Munster will have the most inventory followed by Highland and parts of Schererville as well. Take a look! The main compromise is that the south shore commuter rail is located only in the northern part of NWI and not too convenient for the places I listed (but they are planning on expanding the line south along the west side of Lake County).

In regards to Joliet, long-term, I do not think it would be a good investment. Even in the nicer neighborhoods of Joliet, why spend 300-400k on a home there??? Have you looked into Shorewood, Lockport, or Plainfield? I know those areas have mostly newer construction so you may not have much choice as far as MCM if it is that important to you.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:18 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,802,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The price is right, but so much is "one of kind" in all the wrong ways.

Taxes are crazy low, and given that only has two bedrooms they likely won't climb too high...
Lolz, I agree. Reread previous posts. OP is self-described hippie looking for something unique, preferably with a 50's mid century modern flair.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:42 PM

28,449 posts, read 72,753,319 times
Oh, I saw the OP's request, and frankly the sprawling place near Glen Ellyn looks close to perfect for them. There are smattering of similar properties scattered around the broad Rt 53 corridor, from Itasca all the way into Romeoville. The trade-offs can range from having things like well water and septic to literally backing up to a sewage plant...

I do somewhat sympathize with the OP, and when I did work with relocation clients I would have to go through the same list of reasons that has been shared about our broaders range of employment, greater range of entertainment, higher performing schools etc...

That said I also know that MANY college towns have become some of THE PRICIEST spots in their respective states -- the well paid folks that push the limits of biomedical knowledge in Madison WI, Iowa City IA, Ann Arbor MI, and other such spots have forced the "regular folks" to live in the more rural communities an extra 30 minutes or so from the administrative jobs...

If the OP wants to keep all their options open there are certainly some homes that will fit their needs. More than a few "midcentury modern" homes have not been "remuddled" and are not sited on a parcel that has developers licking their chops over the thought of plopping down an ersatz French Provincial inspired mansion.

All they can do is keep pluggin' away. Lots of people do get frustrated enough to look for a job that'll let them live in a cheaper area and that can work out well enough too. I know folks that live in darned near every state, in every price bracket, and when they kind a good fit between their real needs and the offerings that any place has they can be happy. I have a buddy that grew up in the western suburbs and had job transfers around the world -- Paris, Tokyo, Caracas. His youngest daughter is finishing up medical school in New Orleans and is content as can be building a new house in Louisiana. Cheap place to live and access to some of the finest live music and nicest restaurants you could ever hope for...

Old 04-21-2015, 07:21 PM

861 posts, read 1,142,414 times
I'll try!

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Wheaton/60.../home/18129608

Old 04-21-2015, 08:56 PM

397 posts, read 479,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destination-unknown View Post
I'm not having this argument again. Towns like westmont, darien, willowbrook, brookfield, Berwyn, countryside, etc all have affirdable housing for the middle class but for many here those "towns aren't good enough." These are all very good options for middle class folks. And yes, towns like Glen Ellyn, Wheaton, La Grange, etc will generally remain out of reach for middle class folks with a household income below $100k. Again, Chicagoland suburbs come at a premium cost but still far below a comparable suburb in NYC or LA.
In what world would Berwyn be considered a good option for a middle class family? It has failing schools. Demographics are changing. It's a charming town and would be a good option for a family able to afford private schools but most middle class families cannot afford property taxes and private school.

And the "elite" towns you mention above were affordable to middle class families only a generation ago. Middle class families left places like Berwyn to move to towns like Glen Ellyn and now Glen Ellyn is only for the upper middle class.

This is a problem for the entire region and it's too simplistic to wave it away by saying that it's more expensive in LA or NYC. Both of which are pretty notorious for pricing out middle class families.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTW2013 View Post
In what world would Berwyn be considered a good option for a middle class family? It has failing schools. Demographics are changing. It's a charming town and would be a good option for a family able to afford private schools but most middle class families cannot afford property taxes and private school.

And the "elite" towns you mention above were affordable to middle class families only a generation ago. Middle class families left places like Berwyn to move to towns like Glen Ellyn and now Glen Ellyn is only for the upper middle class.

This is a problem for the entire region and it's too simplistic to wave it away by saying that it's more expensive in LA or NYC. Both of which are pretty notorious for pricing out middle class families.
So you single out Berwyn but fail to acknowledge the other towns? It's this simple. People go where the jobs are. There are many well paying jobs in Chicago. As a result, it costs more to own a home. What a novel concept! If Phoenix had the same job market as Chicago you would also see the middle class get priced out there but they don't. It's really that simple.

There are less and less blue collar jobs and more and more professional jobs in the present than there were in prior generations. Therefore, those "stuck" in blue collar jobs are effectively priced out. Supply and demand. Simple economics. What more is there to understand?

Old 04-21-2015, 09:54 PM

One more thing. If OP is looking at Joliet, they certainly shouldn't be concerned about the quality of Berwyn schools being much worse. Maybe public schools aren't a top priority for them. If they were, I don't understand why they would be looking in Joliet to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or