U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 08:29 AM

31 posts, read 33,232 times

Advertisements

We saw a house last night in Wheaton, and we were told it is in the uncorporated zone.

What does that mean, and is that a good or a bad thing?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 08:33 AM

11,972 posts, read 26,891,021 times
Can be good or can be bad. Unincorporated areas are a mixed bag... Some have agreements with nearby towns for things like water, sewer, garbage collection, park districts, and libraries... And some don't, and basically leave you on your own for these things. Some have a mix of some amenities, but not others.

You'll see some areas in "Unincorporated Wheaton" or "Unincorporated Glen Ellyn" (misnomers, since they really just tell you which post offices serve the areas) that are very nice, well-ordered subdivisions. And you see other unincorporated areas that look like rural trailer parks with crappy roads and old cars parked on the grass next to an old dishwasher. Okay, probably more of the first, actually, but there are some pretty ragged looking unincorporated pockets too.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:43 AM

28,393 posts, read 68,085,348 times
The handful of really "unkempt" spots are probably along busy roads and the owners are likely hoping that a office park developer or big box retailer buys out everyone. As such they probably do not want to spend any money fixing up the interior roadways or even painting their houses.

There have been a handful of successful "assemblage buy outs" so it is not completely far fetched -- Office Boom Setting Off New Problems - Page 2 - tribunedigital-chicagotribune You'll note that article was from 17 years ago and the various shifts surrounding the relative desires of office and retail development has NOT uniformly progressed. With that in mind, it probably makes sense to avoid some of the folks that have too hard core a belief that "why paint it if they're gonna bulldoze it" drives their maintenance schedule...

Old 04-23-2015, 11:50 AM

1,500 posts, read 1,612,165 times
I believe all of unincorporated Wheaton has city water and sewer, not sure about fire, police and garbage.

Where's the house? Don't need to provide the address, but perhaps just a compass direction from central Wheaton.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:02 PM

11,972 posts, read 26,891,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
I believe all of unincorporated Wheaton has city water and sewer, not sure about fire, police and garbage.

Where's the house? Don't need to provide the address, but perhaps just a compass direction from central Wheaton.
Nope. The house he is looking has sewer, but not water.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Nope. The house he is looking has sewer, but not water.
Did I miss a link somewhere?

Old 04-23-2015, 03:13 PM

31 posts, read 33,232 times
It this house:

Its on Knollwood Drive, just off geneva road.

We are now having double thoughts about this house now, sure its in Wheaton, but it seems like services like garbage disposal etc will have to be paid for.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:11 PM

3,786 posts, read 5,547,596 times
I would not do it. Especially if there are wells. You want to be on Lake Michigan water. There have been people's wells that have failed or gotten contaminated. Plus you will have to pay for a variety of services. I would not do iit on a bet.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
I would not do it. Especially if there are wells. You want to be on Lake Michigan water. There have been people's wells that have failed or gotten contaminated. Plus you will have to pay for a variety of services. I would not do iit on a bet.
I don't believe there are any well water homes with Wheaton addresses.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:25 PM

3,786 posts, read 5,547,596 times
It said above it has sewer not water...well I don' t know but that is my 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs