U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2015, 03:11 AM

525 posts, read 580,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Comparing apples to oranges is a waste of time. Flouting Pan-Asia as some kind of challenge to Chicago does not change facts. It is what it is, and what it is IS the dominate city of all thirteen Midwest states > Chicago.

Re-reading the rules you agreed to when you joined City-Data is a good idea. There is a section devoted specifically to trolling, personal attacks, snark, lighting flame wars, vulgarity and more. It is a fine line to walk, but it is very rewarding.
There is plenty of open study on the internet that talks about venture capital funding for startup firms. San Francisco and NYC dominate this over Chicago which it lacks.

So based on that fact in some areas San Francisco dominate over Chicago. All you stated is opinions. I stated mine and just respectfully backed up with arguments.

Is this an open forum to express opinion where one person can say what he likes in one area over another or is it a censored forum monitored by real estate sellers/landlords having a strong incentive to only let ideas flow that benefit their business in their city or state? In fact city-data forum has a section "city vs city."
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 09:57 AM

4,604 posts, read 3,790,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle242 View Post
I am from Bay Area, moved there over 1 year ago from Chicagoland

- No stupid excessive tollways (in CA its mostly bridges one-way or convenience roads you can easily avoid such as HOT lanes)
- No orange glowing lights, just have instead recessive reflectors installed on highway lanes (though its understanding this would not work in winter with the snow)
- A lot of local streets in Chicagoland (such as Bloomingdale, glendale heights Army Trail Rd) lack streetlights which IMO they are more needed there than on highways. In Bay Area most towns have streetlights in addition to recessive reflectors.
- In California most orange lights are being replaced with white brighter LED lights. Think how Chicago would look nice on night pictures without glowing orange sky.
- Freeways are wider and have higher speed limit (65 vs 55 mph).
- Drivers in Bay Area in general more polite than Chicagoland (especially Cook county and Chicago)
- Local roads and parking lots in CA are much better upkept than local in IL (freeways worse but not many potholes). I understand though that the better weather without freezing winter helps. We also do not get as much heavy big trucks as Chicago.

Finally freeways in California do not use streetlights except at exits and overpasses. In the beginning it seems to me odd but I actually like it as long as line lane markers are clear and tagged with reflector lights. It actually helps at night to focus on road and see what is going on without distracting orange glowing lights.
Ok...I am happy you like the roads, freeways, and lighting in San Francisco.

Old 05-10-2015, 11:21 AM

11,544 posts, read 25,232,071 times
It makes no difference if SF stands on its head. Internet study? Do You really believe everything Wikipedia prints as fact, too? I stated facts.

SF is not a Chicago peer. On the west coast LA is the peer city. And LA County is the only county in America that IS larger than Cook County, Illinois.

Why does Chicago need venture capital for startup firms? Grownup firms are the ones who move here and/or expand. What makes you think Chicago doesn't have venture capital money? Is it because they don't spend it in an area of California that has tax bills more outrageous than LA?

My personal opinion is you should stand in front of a mirror and sell your Internet studies to the fellow looking back at you. Unfortunately you are not gaining any traction by trying to shove SF down the throat of Chicagoans. They do not care about SF or its Bay Area any more, or any less, than any other Illinois resident. And that is a fact.

Yes, C-D is a monitored forum. You said, In fact city-data forum has a section "city vs city." In my opinion it is an excellent place to peddle snake oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle242 View Post
There is plenty of open study on the internet that talks about venture capital funding for startup firms. San Francisco and NYC dominate this over Chicago which it lacks.

So based on that fact in some areas San Francisco dominate over Chicago. All you stated is opinions. I stated mine and just respectfully backed up with arguments.

Is this an open forum to express opinion where one person can say what he likes in one area over another or is it a censored forum monitored by real estate sellers/landlords having a strong incentive to only let ideas flow that benefit their business in their city or state? In fact city-data forum has a section "city vs city."

Last edited by linicx; 05-10-2015 at 11:38 AM..

Old 05-11-2015, 02:49 AM

525 posts, read 580,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post

Why does Chicago need venture capital for startup firms? Grownup firms are the ones who move here and/or expand. What makes you think Chicago doesn't have venture capital money?

They do, but its not as big as in coastal areas. Funding is not as big and much more conservative / risk-averse.

Please explain me how it is better for employees to only have big boys and no small guy startups to challenge with drawing talent. It means less competition between companies for recruiting employees = smaller salaries, less promotions, etc. Chicago offers big advantage for startup firms on bootstrap with lower COL. But when it comes to expansion and funding they move on.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:01 AM

11,544 posts, read 25,232,071 times
Chicago is a fluid city; it always has been. Tell me what start up do you have in mind to challenge NASDAQ, or Sara Lee, or Fannie May, or even the water taxi? The answer is you don't, and neither does California. Yours is not a new idea. It's been tried before by those smarter than either one of us. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or