U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 08:58 AM
wjj

621 posts, read 659,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
Etc, etc, etc?

Toyota and Lexus have the Midwest headquarters of their financial service corporations situated off 88. Hyundai America has a 342,000 square-foot office complex in Aurora. The design and engineering of Caterpillar's medium- and large-wheel loaders happens at a massive office and assembly compound in Montgomery. None are short on white collar jobs and none could be categorized as "small outposts." And you want to talk number of local jobs?
You're making my point.

These are not headquarters operations or Americas operations. They are local, and do not have key decision makers or even a lot of higher paying white collar or technical jobs for that matter. The US Midwest HQ of a US financial services division of a global company like Toyota is an outpost. Sorry, but it is. It is a back office operation. The decision makers are in Plano and ultimately Nagoya, Japan. A factory in Montgomery (and yes, it is a factory) is a far cry from the headquarters in Peoria that will have many times more white collar and technical jobs - and the decision makers. The Hyundai complex in Aurora is a giant warehouse (320,000 sq ft). The small office attached to it is a central region office that supports the warehouse and local dealers. That is a far cry from the global HQs located along 294/94.

The 88 corridor and surrounding area is a vibrant business community. No one is questioning that. But it is not on the same level as the 294/94 corridor and surrounding area in northern Cook and Lake counties. It's just not. But the 88 corridor seems to be faring better than the once thriving Schaumburg and surrounding areas where the decline in Motorola, AT&T and Sears has dragged the entire area down.

I do agree with you that Illinois has been toxic to business. I really hope Rauner can start to turn it around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 09:09 AM

1,500 posts, read 1,606,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjj View Post
You're making my point.

These are not headquarters operations or Americas operations. They are local, and do not have key decision makers or even a lot of higher paying white collar or technical jobs for that matter. The US Midwest HQ of a US financial services division of a global company like Toyota is an outpost. Sorry, but it is. It is a back office operation. The decision makers are in Plano and ultimately Nagoya, Japan. A factory in Montgomery (and yes, it is a factory) is a far cry from the headquarters in Peoria that will have many times more white collar and technical jobs - and the decision makers. The Hyundai complex in Aurora is a giant warehouse (320,000 sq ft). The small office attached to it is a central region office that supports the warehouse and local dealers. That is a far cry from the global HQs located along 294/94.

The 88 corridor and surrounding area is a vibrant business community. No one is questioning that. But it is not on the same level as the 294/94 corridor and surrounding area in northern Cook and Lake counties. It's just not. But the 88 corridor seems to be faring better than the once thriving Schaumburg and surrounding areas where the decline in Motorola, AT&T and Sears has dragged the entire area down.

I do agree with you that Illinois has been toxic to business. I really hope Rauner can start to turn it around.
My point was you're pulling a few names from a long list to suit your story, and even those are not irrelevant. Go ahead and nix the auto makers completely from the list. What's left is an endless supply of tech, science, and food companies that have massive corporate operations out west. Headquarters, that is. The six names I listed employ as many people, in the same capacities, as the handful of pharma-related names you dropped.

I'm glad we agree on state issues. The Golden Corridor does need some work, and vacancy rates everywhere should be lower. Hopefully Rauner is the man for the job. He's gonna face some stiff resistance though.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:48 AM

3,783 posts, read 5,528,400 times
Regarding that price point....my friend just sold his four bedroom home in Naperville that was beautiful and looked to be professionally decorated. It was under that amount and it sold in one day. Point is maybe not the pick of the litter meaning the higher end homes but a very very nice suburban home indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or